VOGONS

First post, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

top.jpg?raw=true
bottom.jpg?raw=true

This is a drop-in replacement for RTC modules with solid body. Such modules were widely used on 486 and Pentium mainboards back in the days. After so many years the battery inside of such modules got empty and there is no way to exchange it. With empty battery BIOS settings can not be saved and so many mainboards can't even boot properly. This alternative solution has a socket for CR1225 and the battery can be easily replaced again, when it gets empty. This module can be used with BQ3285, BQ4285 or pin compatible RTC chips, dependent on the requirements. This module was tested only with the named ICs, but it should be also compatible with DS1385, which has additional 2KB of NVRAM and was used on many microchannel and EISA mainboards.

This part should be compatible with following RTC modules:

Dallas DS1287 / DS12887 / DS12B887 (using BQ3285)
Dallas DS1387 (using DS1385, untested so far)
Benchmarq BQ3287 (using BQ3285)
Benchmarq BQ4287 (using BQ4285)
ODIN OEC12C887 (using BQ3285)

The project site:
https://github.com/necroware/nwX287

My introduction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPNxILeQEw

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 3 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work, but it's worth mentioning the DS12887A is still being made in great numbers. I recently bought one and it came with a 2119 date code. I realize that it may not be compatible in all situations and the replaceable battery is nice, though.

Reply 4 of 6, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thanks, good to know. I just bought in China three times, they were all dead. Then I was tired of it and got five in Germany from a big official distributor, sold as new for 10€ each. Turned out, that it was old stock as well. One was dead on arrival, one died after 6 months, the others after a year. May be there are some new indeed out there, which you can buy, but I just had no luck to find one. However, now I have enough of them in different variants 😁

Reply 6 of 6, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, even if those modules are actually identical and many boards do work with both, there are some mainboards, which are picky about it. I think, it's something about timings. I even had once two Odin OEC12C887, where one worked in a mainboard and another one not. Both modules were ok and did work in another mainboard though. I have a feeling, that Odin used different RTC ICs in the same module version internally. Probably to keep the costs low, but the side effect was, that the timings were not quite inline. And some mainboards probably relied too much on particular timings.