VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I am on vacation now and got myself a copy of the game 'Recoil' because of travel restrictions again 🙁 ; however my device doesn't perform well on emulated D3D or Glide. The game suprisingly works on both DDrawCompat and DxWnd but it runs fast. I mean it's fast enough to become unplayable.

You might be thinking about the uptime bug in games, yes I encoured that and also fixed it but the fast speeds don't go away completely. One issue was for the uptime and the other was for the CPU clocks if I recall correctly.

How can I run this game on proper speed? if I remember this issue also exists in Thief by Looking Glass Studios. And yes nGlide runs at 12fps on D3D9 mode 😒

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 15, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recoil is a classic. I know some people think it's lame and simple, but it's under-appreciated and you can use it with Aureal3D, if you have the hardware. I could never land a copy of the game back in the day, because it wasn't widely released, so I just played the demo over and over and over.

Reply 4 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what you could try is download Ubuntu Gamepack https://ualinux.com/en/ubuntu-gamepack
install it onto a usb thumb drive with rufus and run it as a live cd it wont alter your c: drive in any way
and just double click on the recoil.exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 6 of 15, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Issues fixed • Link
Variable game speed • Link

Game speed may constantly shift between too fast and too slow.

Instructions[citation needed]

Reboot Windows.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-12, 03:36:

Reply 7 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dancsi40 wrote on 2021-08-12, 11:48:
Issues fixed • Link Variable game speed • Link […]
Show full quote

Issues fixed • Link
Variable game speed • Link

Game speed may constantly shift between too fast and too slow.

Instructions[citation needed]

Reboot Windows.

BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-12, 03:36:

I have already mentioned that I have two problem. This one is already fixed. The CPU frequency issues isn't.

Reply 8 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recoil (1999) from Zipper Interactive works flawlessly on QEMU Win98 VM, in both Direct3D and Glide modes at max details. Direct3D only has 640x400 and 640x480 while Glide can do all the way up to 1024x768 but QEMU can scale up to anything. With V-Sync OFF, both Direct3D and Glide consistently rendered at over 60 FPS and approaching 120 FPS sometimes but the game speed felt normal and silky smooth in actions, great for such game anyway. It also works with OpenGlide as Glide wrapper, so that implies universal playability from Windows, Linux to macOS. Perhaps TCG can slow the game down to 30 FPS, but likely not with the Apple M1. Otherwise, with V-Sync ON, the game will also lock at 60 FPS.

The game demo only supports Direct3D and works equally well.

Reply 9 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-08-12, 23:38:

Recoil (1999) from Zipper Interactive works flawlessly on QEMU Win98 VM, in both Direct3D and Glide modes at max details. Direct3D only has 640x400 and 640x480 while Glide can do all the way up to 1024x768 but QEMU can scale up to anything. With V-Sync OFF, both Direct3D and Glide consistently rendered at over 60 FPS and approaching 120 FPS sometimes but the game speed felt normal and silky smooth in actions, great for such game anyway. It also works with OpenGlide as Glide wrapper, so that implies universal playability from Windows, Linux to macOS. Perhaps TCG can slow the game down to 30 FPS, but likely not with the Apple M1. Otherwise, with V-Sync ON, the game will also lock at 60 FPS.

The game demo only supports Direct3D and works equally well.

I don't believe a 2GB RAM laptop with a 4th gen Pentium with Intel HD can emulate it properly. I don't have any issue in my main PC when I played a friend's CD version. I need some thing to get ahead in the game and see if the CD I bought is OK. And that can't be done with fast gameplay.

Reply 10 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-13, 06:48:

I don't believe a 2GB RAM laptop with a 4th gen Pentium with Intel HD can emulate it properly. I don't have any issue in my main PC when I played a friend's CD version. I need some thing to get ahead in the game and see if the CD I bought is OK. And that can't be done with fast gameplay.

You underestimate the potentials of x86 virtualization, especially on modern Linux with KVM.

I tried the demo on Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz 2GB RAM with Intel HD and it played well averaging about 27 FPS, which was nothing short of being playable. The netbook had fully-updated ArchLinux x86_64 with QEMU KVM running Win98 VM with 128MB memory. The demo only had Direct3D which had to go through higher overhead of 3rd-party API pass-through, but yet it was fully playable. The full game using 3Dfx Glide with OpenGlide would have made the game at 30 FPS. Intel GPUs on modern Linux have great OpenGL support from the open-source MESA, much better than on Windows 10.

Reply 11 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kjliew wrote on 2021-08-13, 11:06:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2021-08-13, 06:48:

You underestimate the potentials of x86 virtualization, especially on modern Linux with KVM.

I tried the demo on Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz 2GB RAM with Intel HD and it played well averaging about 27 FPS, which was nothing short of being playable. The netbook had fully-updated ArchLinux x86_64 with QEMU KVM running Win98 VM with 128MB memory. The demo only had Direct3D which had to go through higher overhead of 3rd-party API pass-through, but yet it was fully playable. The full game using 3Dfx Glide with OpenGlide would have made the game at 30 FPS. Intel GPUs on modern Linux have great OpenGL support from the open-source MESA, much better than on Windows 10.

Laptop still runs PCem and I locked it to 30 for less stuttering, I didn't expect it but I did it anyways in the free time. I don't want to pay for something that I would use for 2 days of testing. Desktop would still run Recoil natively on D3D acceleration or Glide completely fine because it does.

Reply 12 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since it's a laptop, have you tried going to power management, make a new plan, change advanced settings, maybe need to click another thing for hidden settings, then turn down max processor state from 100 to see what that gets you.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-13, 17:06:

Since it's a laptop, have you tried going to power management, make a new plan, change advanced settings, maybe need to click another thing for hidden settings, then turn down max processor state from 100 to see what that gets you.

Good move but it's not enough slow. If it had been a Pentium III or such then it may have worked.

Reply 14 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, other processors, even newer ones or contemporary AMD 64 may have more granular options. I know my Turion ML32 machine could go down to 300Mhz, and this core2 class I'm on as I'm posting this says minimum is 5% but I don't wanna try it with a lot of stuff open as it might take half an hour to be able to turn it back again 🤣

edit: also Celeron Mobile in the same socket, maybe an option in the same machine ranges, may have zero step down options, full speed or nothing. Got two Acer machines of same series, The PentiumM can slow down, the CeleronM can't.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 15, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-13, 18:27:

Yes, other processors, even newer ones or contemporary AMD 64 may have more granular options. I know my Turion ML32 machine could go down to 300Mhz, and this core2 class I'm on as I'm posting this says minimum is 5% but I don't wanna try it with a lot of stuff open as it might take half an hour to be able to turn it back again 🤣

I am typing this with Power saving on and the CPU is fast enough for Edge. Also it's also minimum at 5% for me too. I don't notice a difference. Decided to take it all down to 1% but it's all same.