VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people

Soon I'll buy a MT32 and using SoftMPU " http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/ " driver with a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0, I wanted to know if it was possible to operate the DUNE II with the MIDI out by the MT32 and the sound from the Sound Blaster Pro

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 20, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the standard setup program doesn't allow it, I know that an updated setup exists that allows the user to select everything (sound, music, etc.) separately.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think he's asking something else.

SoftMPU allows using MPU401 devices through the Sound Blaster MIDI interface. The SB 2.0 doesn't have a proper MPU401 interface. And he's wondering if speech AND external MIDI will work.

I did test SoftMPU on the SB 2.0 a while ago, but I simply cannot remember if speech + MIDI worked, sorry 😒

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 20, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

I think he's asking something else.

SoftMPU allows using MPU401 devices through the Sound Blaster MIDI interface. The SB 2.0 doesn't have a proper MPU401 interface. And he's wondering if speech AND external MIDI will work.

I did test SoftMPU on the SB 2.0 a while ago, but I simply cannot remember if speech + MIDI worked, sorry 😒

Exactly , im looking for MT32 for Midi and Soundblaster for speech like recent patch of Monkey Island , now support SB and MT32, thanks

Reply 4 of 20, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see why this wouldn't work, as long as the game doesn't interleave digital sound DSP commands with MIDI output.
Flashback on PC works with SB-MIDI and digital sound. Test it out and let us know what happens 😎

Reply 6 of 20, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi people! , thanks!!! for the tip , im attach a file to update the setup for multiple sound card, im use a cable to connect SBPRO Midi to MT32 , use SoftMPU /sbmidi option , works ok

and im uploaded a youtube video , MT32 + Sound Blaster 2 for DUNE 2 , best of two worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzlPYfBo1Gc&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• Filename
    d2sound.zip
    File size
    47.13 KiB
    Downloads
    640 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 20, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you.

It works for me with Dune II v1.07
Nevertheless, I lost french language with this patch.

I will try this unofficial patch that fix also some bugs :
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune … ne2_107_fix.rar

Full list of patch changes:

Gameplay fixes:

Fixed the internal syntax error which prevented the AI from assembling attack teams of vehicles ("team bug").
Looped reinforcements are now enabled in certain missions.

Mission-specific fixes:

Removed the unused CHOAM (Starport related) section from SCENA001.
Removed obsolete reinforcement sections from SCENA002, SCENA003, SCENA004 and SCENH004.
Fixed invalid spice bloom placement in SCENA005.
Removed junk lines (probably obsolete map data) from SCENH002 and SCENH007.
Fixed incorrect hit point values for pre-placed buildings in SCENH006.
Reinstated the sandworms that were commented out in SCENH008.
Fixed the error that disabled Devastator reinforcements in SCENH017, SCENH018 and SCENH019.
Removed duplicate Spice Silo and Light Factory structures in SCENO005 (two identical structures were positioned at the same coordinates).
Increased the unit limit for the AI players to 25 in SCENO021.
Changed the player's starting credits from 1500 to 1000 in SCENO022 (the extra 500 credits were a result of an error).
Changed Atreides Troopers to Atreides Infantry in SCENH011, SCENH012, SCENH013, SCENH020, SCENHO021, SCENH022, SCENO008, SCENO009, SCENO010, SCENO020, SCENO021 and SCENO022.
Changed the Atreides WOR to Atreides Barracks in SCENH022, SCENO014, SCENO015, SCENO016 and SCENO022, so that the Atreides can produce infantry.
Fixed all missions where the MaxUnit value name was misspelled as MaxUnits for an AI player (SCENA005, SCEN017, SCENA018, SCENA019, SCENH017, SCENH018, SCENH019, SCENO017, SCENO018, SCENO019).
Fixed the error which prevented the player from buying Ornithopters at the Starport in SCENA020, SCENA021, SCENA022, SCENH020, SCENH021, SCEHNH022, SCENO020, SCENO021 and SCENO022.
Set the spice quota value to 0 in SCENA022, SCENH022 and SCENO022 (was 2500, but did not actually affect anything).

Mentat information fixes:

Fixed incorrect power consumption values for the Barracks and the Starport (the incorrect values of 20 and 80 were changed to the actual 10 and 50).
Removed two obsolete entries in German from the English Harkonnen Mentat database (EU and HS versions).

In-game spelling fixes:

Fixed the spelling of the word "Ornithopter" (was "Ornithipter").
Fixed the spelling of the word "incompatible" (yes, I'm pedantic 😉).
Fixed the spelling of the word "Starport" in the building hints section.

Sound fixes:

Removed the clicking noise from some of the game sound effects.
Restored a missing voice clip during missile launch countdown in French and German (European and HitSquad releases).

Misc:

Fixed a graphical glitch that would occur between some missions in the HitSquad version.

Setup program changes:

The setup program now allows to configure multiple sound devices for DUNE II (check SETSOUND.TXT for more information).
Several text mistakes in the setup dialogue were fixed, most notably the music device selection screen, which no longer contains the misleading line "Play sound from" (changed to "Play music from").

Great thanks to:

Kevin Cernekee for the WWPak utility
Minniatian for his unofficial Dune 2 EMC patch
Nyerguds for his Dune II Editor, modified SETUP.EXE, an updated version of the Dune 2 icon, and for hosting the patch
Olaf van der Spek for his XCC Mixer
Segra for the looped reinforcements fix
Shagrath for providing the valuable info about the AI team bug in his Dune II Scenario Editor
Siberian_GRemlin for Siberian String Table Editor
Stefan Hedriks for Dunedit and inspiring work with Dune II The Maker
TCH for his Dune 2 Scenario Editor
TrueBrain for finding a solution to building decay problem
Westwood Studios for creating this incredibly amazing, gorgeous, brilliant and highly enjoyable game ;D

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 9 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nyergud is a legend! Love his C&C Patch.
Although most of the big fixes in Dune makes things harder, I struggle enough as it is!

Reply 10 of 20, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, i've bought Siemens Nixdorf SCENIC Mobile 710 recently, it is packed with ESS ES1878 & ES690F and supports GM in pure dos without drivers. Currently, i'm testing different games and they all work as they should do. But Dune 2 is fighting...
First of all, when i select MT32 i'm getting some weird RING sound on some effects. So i've installed a patch from this thread (d2sound.zip) and was able to select MT32 for music and SB for sound and digital sound. This solved the RING sound issue, but i've completely lost all except music.

My last try is Creative patch, also mentioned in this archive, but its bat file is wrong:

DEBUG < WAVESET.DAT

I got an error that DEBUG command is bad... I'm missing smth?

Reply 11 of 20, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote on 2021-08-16, 22:19:

That's an executable file. It is likely that you don't have this file or it is not within the directories in the PATH environment variable.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 12 of 20, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Guys, i've bought Siemens Nixdorf SCENIC Mobile 710 recently, it is packed with ESS ES1878 & ES690F and supports GM in pure dos […]
Show full quote

Guys, i've bought Siemens Nixdorf SCENIC Mobile 710 recently, it is packed with ESS ES1878 & ES690F and supports GM in pure dos without drivers. Currently, i'm testing different games and they all work as they should do. But Dune 2 is fighting...
First of all, when i select MT32 i'm getting some weird RING sound on some effects. So i've installed a patch from this thread (d2sound.zip) and was able to select MT32 for music and SB for sound and digital sound. This solved the RING sound issue, but i've completely lost all except music.

My last try is Creative patch, also mentioned in this archive, but its bat file is wrong:

DEBUG < WAVESET.DAT

Even if you'll get it working, you'll be disappointed. The MT32 is not a General Midi compatible machine, so it's going to sound wrong on your sound cards wavetable.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 14 of 20, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-17, 04:19:

That's an executable file. It is likely that you don't have this file or it is not within the directories in the PATH environment variable.

Right. I just don't understand what he is referring to.

Reply 15 of 20, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vorob wrote on 2021-08-17, 06:46:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-17, 04:19:

Right. I just don't understand what he is referring to.

I was just referring that the DEBUG command here is actually an executable file that comes from proper DOS installations since you said that is was a bad command. It is DEBUG.COM or DEBUG.EXE depending of the DOS version.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 16 of 20, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@vorob, when you write "lost all but sound" - do you mean you are getting speech in the intro when not trying to configure GM or MT-32?
If you are not getting speech at all no matter what you select in the settings, bear in mind that Dune II needs XMS for digitized effects, so you may want to see if your memory managers are set up for that.
Also instead of that patch you may want to check out the unofficial fix pack for 1.07 also mentioned in this thread, as it incorporates that and other fixes and gives you generally an up to date version of the EXEs to see if this helps.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 18 of 20, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem solved. I didn’t have sound because this line was absent

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

I didn’t thought it was necessary since I’ve got driverless sound card. Now I’ve got SC music and SB PRO sound effects and voice.

Reply 19 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some games use the SET BLASTER line to get the settings to use for the sound card. Other games you have to manually configure the settings in a setup/config program.

Some really old games have the address and IRQ hardcoded so the sound card has to use the old defaults in order to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK