VOGONS

First post, by DesktopDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Newbie here just registered.

When trying to run the game, it asks for the CD even though it is already present. Drive is mapped as D.

In my case, I have Windows 98SE fresh setup and am trying to launch the game. Am not using DOSBOX.

I have restarted the PC in MS-DOS mode. When I type D: it says invalid drive specification.

Need your help!

Regards

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-08-30, 03:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You necrobumped a 16 years old thread! And the thread was about Dosbox which you are not even using...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you loaded the appropriate CD-ROM driver in config.sys and the accompanying mscdex line in autoexec.bat?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if this will work, but you can try right clicking the game executable. Then properties/advanced and mark “prevent ms dos programs to detect windows” or something.
If it doesn’t work, you’ll probably have to start in actual DOS (pressing F8 when the “Starting Windows 98 message appears and then selecting “Command Prompt”), in addition you’ll have to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys files to load your CD-ROM driver otherwise the D drive will not work in this mode.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD