1023.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 40282 of 52357, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a sneaky suspicion I may be off a year with this unit - it could be from ‘99 - but I do have good memories using it and until I find something from 97-98, it’ll do.

Attachments

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 40283 of 52357, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_patchelor wrote on 2021-08-29, 13:13:
ASUS ISA-386C PQ […]
Show full quote

ASUS ISA-386C PQ

works so far.
Tried to use a ITT FPU , booting fine but e.g. landmark will freeze

IMG_8789.jpgIMG_8806.jpg

Think you need to find out about U46 there, it looks populated on other photos of the board I can dig up (But not good enough photos to tell what it is)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40284 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-29, 13:41:
ASUS ISA-386C PQ […]
Show full quote

ASUS ISA-386C PQ

works so far.

IMG_8789.jpgIMG_8806.jpg

Think you need to find out about U46 there, it looks populated on other photos of the board I can dig up (But not good enough photos to tell what it is)

Here's a good photo... Unfortunatelly chips with stickers like this usually mean some custom PAL - it may be cache related (depending on amount of cache installed different PAL populated - one on the photo has 64k written on it). Just a suspicion, but this board does have 64kB of cache installed.

I would try disabling it to see if it still hangs up.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40285 of 52357, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-29, 14:30:
ASUS ISA-386C PQ […]
Show full quote

ASUS ISA-386C PQ

works so far.

IMG_8789.jpgIMG_8806.jpg

Here's a good photo... Unfortunatelly chips with stickers like this usually mean some custom PAL - it may be cache related (depending on amount of cache installed different PAL populated - one on the photo has 64k written on it). Just a suspicion, but this board does have 64kB of cache installed.

Good call HanJammer ! The ISA-386C rev 1.1 also has PAL with 64k-### stickers (but two of them, not one)...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 40286 of 52357, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to buy whole systems from offers that don't show exactly what the system contains. The photo shows only that the keyboard is a DIN (Mitsumi) and a case minitower, probably a baby AT. Linux system, so at least the first Pentium?
At worst, there might have been some PCChips trash inside, at best a decent bit of socket (super) 7. I averaged slot one. For $30, you could take a chance.
It turned out great, inside a fully working Gigabyte GA-5AA with a K6-2 500, with a Vanta and no sound, but in a usable case with a working AT PSU. Decent SS7 basis, which I was looking for. All you need to do is replace the electrolytes, two are already bulging.
Other pieces from another offer were functional Zida 5SVA, SuperGrace IHI-LX, some coolers for s.7, sound and Sparkle graphics for DOS rig. Another $30...

When removing SIMM modules, I was in for a surprise - a screw between the module and the slot. Luckily, he didn't short anything..

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    Filename
    bolt.jpg
    File size
    166.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • supergrace.jpg
    Filename
    supergrace.jpg
    File size
    235.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • zida.jpg
    Filename
    zida.jpg
    File size
    167.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • gigabyte.jpg
    Filename
    gigabyte.jpg
    File size
    216.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • offer.jpg
    Filename
    offer.jpg
    File size
    69.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 40287 of 52357, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to find a NIB Logitech Momo PC racing wheel to add to my collection. I did some research to find out what the best racing wheel from the Windows 98 era was (I wasn't into racing games at the time) and the consensus said this. Cost me a little bit but I'm a sucker for the NIB stuff. The box is a little bit war torn, but mama always said it's what's on the inside that counts!

20210829-092731.jpg
20210829-092746.jpg

Reply 40288 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. I still have my Logitech Momo from back then. (bought at CompUSA) Mine had all red buttons though, with some red anodizing on the wheel. It's definitely going to be one of the best steering wheels of that era.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 40289 of 52357, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got one three, keep us updated on games that play well with it etc, I might wanna dig mine out and have a thrash around some digital roads.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40290 of 52357, by the_patchelor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2021-08-29, 14:30:
ASUS ISA-386C PQ […]
Show full quote

ASUS ISA-386C PQ

works so far.

IMG_8789.jpgIMG_8806.jpg

some one told me it's cache related to enable Write-back, a 8K SRAM has to be installed
BUT I got no picture to proof it...

If PAL then may FPU related.

BTW: If I keep the FPU in and disable in Bios (absent) then it still freeze. If I pull the FPU again then all good.

Last edited by the_patchelor on 2021-08-29, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 40291 of 52357, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-08-29, 15:06:
I like to buy whole systems from offers that don't show exactly what the system contains. The photo shows only that the keyboard […]
Show full quote

I like to buy whole systems from offers that don't show exactly what the system contains. The photo shows only that the keyboard is a DIN (Mitsumi) and a case minitower, probably a baby AT. Linux system, so at least the first Pentium?
At worst, there might have been some PCChips trash inside, at best a decent bit of socket (super) 7. I averaged slot one. For $30, you could take a chance.
It turned out great, inside a fully working Gigabyte GA-5AA with a K6-2 500, with a Vanta and no sound, but in a usable case with a working AT PSU. Decent SS7 basis, which I was looking for. All you need to do is replace the electrolytes, two are already bulging.
Other pieces from another offer were functional Zida 5SVA, SuperGrace IHI-LX, some coolers for s.7, sound and Sparkle graphics for DOS rig. Another $30...

When removing SIMM modules, I was in for a surprise - a screw between the module and the slot. Luckily, he didn't short anything..

definitely worth that $30 gamble!

Reply 40292 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brawndo wrote on 2021-08-29, 15:34:
I was able to find a NIB Logitech Momo PC racing wheel to add to my collection. I did some research to find out what the best ra […]
Show full quote

I was able to find a NIB Logitech Momo PC racing wheel to add to my collection. I did some research to find out what the best racing wheel from the Windows 98 era was (I wasn't into racing games at the time) and the consensus said this. Cost me a little bit but I'm a sucker for the NIB stuff. The box is a little bit war torn, but mama always said it's what's on the inside that counts!

20210829-092731.jpg
20210829-092746.jpg

I still have one of these. Very sweet setup. However, the plastic inside that holds some stuff together gets brittle and will break. I have already repair mine once and use custom cut / bent pieces of aluminium to try to reinforce it. It worked for quite a while but then broke again.

I haven't tried to repair it again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 40293 of 52357, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this low-profile IBM 300GL 6282-66U for $100 shipped. It arrived in great shape with only a couple of scratches/scuffs on the top cover of the case. I bought the case to use as an open-air test bench for LPX-style motherboards, but I’m glad the purchase included a fully functional Pentium 200 MMX, 64MB of SDRAM, a 16x Hitachi CD-ROM drive, working floppy drive, and a Netgear PCI network card.

It worked pretty well as soon as I got it, but I needed to remove and spray contact cleaner on the integrated graphics card’s memory chips to resolve an intermittent BIOS configuration error (it would falsely report 1MB of memory every other boot). Unfortunately, I still get a keyboard error every time I cold start the machine. I figure it’s because I’m using an aftermarket PS/2 keyboard.

I’m also a bit disappointed that the BIOS uses LBA for drives, but won’t recognize more than 8GB of storage. 8GB is plenty for most programs I could run on it, but I wish it could use more. The BIOS does recognize my DVD/CD-RW drive and an IDE-to-SATA adapter, so that’s something. I’m going to use an IDE-to-SD adapter with it since my SATA SSD’s would be a bit of a waste.

I’ve already tricked it out with some turn of the millennium goodness: the DVD/CD-RW drive, an OPTI ISA sound card/wavetable, a Matrox G200 video card, and my DXR3 multimedia accelerator card to watch some DVD’s. I haven’t used the DRX3 in nearly 20 years. Ah, the good old days…

Attachments

• 300GL Front.jpg
    Filename
    300GL Front.jpg
    File size
    428.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 300GL Back IO.jpg
    Filename
    300GL Back IO.jpg
    File size
    363.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 300GL Ready to Test.jpg
    Filename
    300GL Ready to Test.jpg
    File size
    590.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 40294 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_patchelor wrote on 2021-08-29, 17:28:
some one told me it's cache related to enable Write-back, a 8K SRAM has to be installed BUT I got no picture to proof it... […]
Show full quote

some one told me it's cache related to enable Write-back, a 8K SRAM has to be installed
BUT I got no picture to proof it...

If PAL then may FPU related.

BTW: If I keep the FPU in and disable in Bios (absent) then it still freeze. If I pull the FPU again then all good.

I'm pretty sure It's not FPU related. My bet is it's cache related - so if possible try disabling the cache and re-test. Also if it's SRAM then you are good - pretty much any SRAM of this size should work. On the other hand if it's PAL - then you would have to copy it from another exact chip - and it may be very hard as PALs may have IP (encryption) enabled.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40295 of 52357, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-08-29, 17:54:
Ydee wrote on 2021-08-29, 15:06:

I like to buy whole systems

definitely worth that $30 gamble!

Yes, I was lucky. Similar to another offer where the seller stated that the computer hummed when turned on, nothing more - he had no monitor. But all three of the LEDs were on in the photography, so I assumed the HDD was working and pc showed signs of life. For $30 it was worth a try, I offered 50 if it packed well and sent.
And yes, inside was 486DX2-66, 3xVLB Shuttle, SB32, just Trident 9400, but at least a VLB and VLB I/O controller. The interesting case may have something to do with the designer Colani, who's already been around, at least the push-button design sounds familiar. Plus period speakers and keyboards. I didn't just take the laptop.

Attachments

• offer.jpg
    Filename
    offer.jpg
    File size
    82.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • summary.jpg
    Filename
    summary.jpg
    File size
    241.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • front.jpg
    Filename
    front.jpg
    File size
    78.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • door.jpg
    Filename
    door.jpg
    File size
    86.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • inside.jpg
    Filename
    inside.jpg
    File size
    216.13 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 40296 of 52357, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-08-28, 04:07:

Matrox G200 AGP, unfortunately this only has DVI output which wasn’t visible in the eBay ad.

It did only cost me $5.

Isn't DVI to VGA a pretty straight-forward adapter?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 40297 of 52357, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this system at an e-waste recycling center last week for NT$890 (US$32): Asus A7V133-C w/ CPU (see below), Asus V7100 Pro (GeForce2 MX 400) 64M, 256 MB SDRAM, 40 GB 7200rpm IBM HDD, BTC BDV-212B DVD-ROM, a FDD, and an old-styled 250W PSU with monitor pass-through power outlet.

Northern Taiwan is known for its high humidity; most screws and exposed surfaces of connectors would lose their shiny finish in a year or two, but this computer seemed to have stayed in an air-conditioned room for two decades.

back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
742.43 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

CPU cooler, other fans, and all PCB were free of dust.

A7V133-C.jpg
Filename
A7V133-C.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
V7100.jpg
Filename
V7100.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The POST screen said the CPU was Athlon 900 MHz, but the BIOS has "100 x 9 = 900" and "133 x 9 = 1200" options. After removing the heat sink and thermal paste, it turned out to be an A1200AMS3C, an 1.2 GHz Thunderbird!

Athlon_1200C.jpg
Filename
Athlon_1200C.jpg
File size
453.69 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

However, despite of being clean and shiny, the system is far from trouble-free: screws on MB and HDD were not fastened, video card was not properly inserted, the HDD had WinME, and the single 256 MB SDRAM was very unstable. I'm still working on its on-board sound card, although I wouldn't mind if it's not functional.

Reply 40298 of 52357, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2021-08-30, 13:18:

Got this system at an e-waste recycling center last week for NT$890 (US$32): Asus A7V133-C w/ CPU (see below), Asus V7100 Pro (GeForce2 MX 400) 64M, 256 MB SDRAM, 40 GB 7200rpm IBM HDD, BTC BDV-212B DVD-ROM, a FDD, and an old-styled 250W PSU with monitor pass-through power outlet.

I have a machine of very similar configuration that has yet to be dug out from it's retirement resting spot and gone through. Ran well on XP. Site here with many resources for all A7V models... http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/