First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have an IBM 300GL 6282, socket 7 233mhz with dos 6.22

I installed an Etherlink XL into a free pci slot
Then I configured DOS for the network card

The problem is that the computer freezes when I use the network card, for example if I copy 100 files from a network hard disk, at the file number 30 the pc freeze itself .

I bought a second etherlink 3C905B and I have the same problem

I use the drivers taken from Vogons, the problem exists with both V3.x and V5.x

If I do the self test that I find in the driver disk, both cards blocks the PC in the third step.

If I use a Realtek 8029 all works good

Any ideas ?

Last edited by matti157 on 2021-08-30, 07:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit more info needed.

How did you "configured DOS for the network card"?
How did you "copy 100 files"?

Are you using packet drivers + mTCP (FTP/FTPSRV)? Or are you using ODI/NDIS drivers with different software?

If the first 30 files go well and it fails after that, it sounds like you have an issue with buffers overflowing somewhere. Exactly where and what you can do about it depends on the exact software you're using.

Reply 2 of 6, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
the number of files is indicative, I put an example simply to indicate that the computer freezes while copying files from the network to the local disk.

Files are copied from a share mapped as disk F: (same share that works with Realtek 8029) via COPY command

To configure DOS I mean that I have installed the "Microsoft Network Client 3.0" and in the screen where it asks for the network card, I have indicated the NDIS2 drivers which I find here http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=914

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, no specific experiences with that, as I find the NDIS drivers clumsy and bloated. But I do have an alternative for you then: try packet drivers and mTCP.

Packet drivers are on the same disk you refer to, iirc they're called 3c90XPD.COM.

To use:
- REM out all references to NDIS drivers or MS network client in config.sys and autoexec.bat and reboot
- load the packet driver manually with 3C90XPD.COM 0x60
- if that works, you can add it to autoexec.bat. Be careful: some packet drivers really don't like being loaded high. No idea about this one, but worth bearing in mind.
- get the mTCP programs onto the computer (they fit on a floppy (image)). Read the documentation
- copy the SAMPLE.CFG file from the SAMPLES subdir in the mTCP to a sensible location (root C:\ is popular, but I just keep it in C:\NET\MTCP together with all the MTCP executables) and give it a good name like MTCP.CFG
- SAMPLE.CFG is good enough for testing out of the box, so just set the environment variable MTCPCFG to point to where you copied it, eg. SET MTCPCFG=C:\MTCP.CFG
- run DHCP.EXE. If the NIC has link to something with DHCP server, the packet driver works, the environment variable MTCPCFG is set, and its value points to a valid config file, you will now get an IP address. That means you're good to go.

If everything up to DHCP went well, you can try transferring stuff. mTCP includes FTP.EXE (client) and FTPSRV.EXE (server). Using the client is simpler, but for ease of use I prefer running the server on my old machines so I can use a nice big modern desktop client like Filezilla to select what I want to transfer. If you want to run FTPSRV for that, there are a few more settings in the mTCP config file, most importantly the one specifying where your password file is located - and then you need to copy the FTPPASS.TXT file from the SAMPLES subdir to where you want it, and then add at least one valid user to it.

Reply 4 of 6, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well if you want to use a 3c905B under dos, dont use the microsoft drivers, use the proper 3com setup, and it comes with a packet driver, 3C90XPD, use that.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's preferable to use a FTP server and the packet driver rather than NDIS drivers on DOS (On modern Windows versions the SMB1 protocol is deprecated and disabled by default for security reasons). The only problem I had with the 3Com 3C905B-TX card was that when transferring files it occasionally stops (especially with many files) prior to continuing with mTCP FTPSrv on a retro machine and FileZilla on my modern machine.

I have another 3Com card that is the 3C905-TX (notice the lack of B) that doesn't exhibit that problem when transferring files, but it required an older version of the 3C90XPD packet driver that wasn't easy to find to work properly on DOS.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to everyone, I tried, but with the Etherlink XL installed I noticed that the computer freezes randomly even after the bios, before DOS or when loading DOS.

It's an IBM 300GL Socket 7, maybe it won't accept the PCI card?