VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My days of building expensive high-powered gaming PCs are long over. The last computer I built from the ground up was a Phenom II system designed around an Asus M4A77TD motherboard. Since then I haven't really immersed myself in the various array of motherboard products. I've also become seriously disillusioned with MS's current idea of what Windows should be. I switched to Linux Mint for 2020, then switched back to Win10 for 2021. With Win11 on the horizon, I'm ready to go back to Linux but I'd like to keep the ever-growing pile of old computers to a minimum. A WinXP /Linux dual-booter seems like a good idea, so an Ivy Bridge motherboard will be ideal. Can ya help a brother out and recommend a good motherboard?

Solid/polymer caps are a must for reliability and longevity.
Needs at least one PCI slot.
Must be fully WinXP compatible.
Must have PCIe 3.0
Onboard USB 3.0 ports with WinXP compatibility are a real plus
Must be able to operate in legacy (non-UEFI) mode.
Must be able to disable secure boot.
Must be able to enable/disable CPU cores.
Must be able to enable/disable hyperthreading.

I haven't followed any of the Ryzen products at all, but if any of those fit the bill please recommend them as well.

Thank you for any and all recommendations.

Reply 1 of 24, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you need native PCI, look at Q77 chipset. Otherwise, Z77 motherboards may have PCI slots as well, but not native.

I have an intel Q77 mobo and a Z77 Gigabyte one; both are great.

Reply 2 of 24, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's one I use with 4x native PCI slots:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-P75-D3-rev-10#ov

Unfortunately, it uses Intel's USB 3 ports. I'm not aware that Intel ever wrote a Windows XP driver for XHCI, though. You might need a motherboard with Asmedia USB 3 ports (or use a PCIE expansion card).

Reply 4 of 24, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-09-02, 16:05:

Unfortunately, it uses Intel's USB 3 ports. I'm not aware that Intel ever wrote a Windows XP driver for XHCI, though. You might need a motherboard with Asmedia USB 3 ports (or use a PCIE expansion card).

From the support page for this board:
"In Windows XP, the Intel USB 3.0 ports can support up to USB 2.0 transfer speed."

So, it looks like the ports will at least function under WinXP.

Gigabyte still has many of their 2nd and 3rd generation 1155 motherboards listed and supported on their website. This is proving to be very helpful along with your suggestions. Thank you all so much!

FWIW both the GA-P75-D3 and GA-B75-D3V are still cheap and plentiful. These both look like outstanding choices.

Reply 8 of 24, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you recently encountered many games that work in Windows XP but don't work in Wine these days? The compatibility of Wine has gotten quite good over the years. For older games, I dare say it typically works even better than Windows now. So why even dual-boot? Unless of course you're doing it specifically for Windows XP nostalgia.

Reply 9 of 24, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote on 2021-09-02, 15:06:

I haven't followed any of the Ryzen products at all, but if any of those fit the bill please recommend them as well.

Technically the Ryzen stuff doesn't even support Windows 7, much less XP. It probably won't help you much, but for a "bridge machine" I have ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 (the pre Ryzen AMD FX stuff) which might meet some of your requirements. It does look like the Etron USB3 controller is XP compatible.

Reply 10 of 24, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mihai wrote on 2021-09-02, 20:26:

just be advised that using i7 3770 with a modern OS, would require disabling spectre / meltdown mitigations, for reasonable performance.

I'll be using an I5 without hyperthreading. I just wanted the ability to disable hyperthreading should the need arise.

digger wrote on 2021-09-02, 20:46:

Have you recently encountered many games that work in Windows XP but don't work in Wine these days? The compatibility of Wine has gotten quite good over the years. For older games, I dare say it typically works even better than Windows now. So why even dual-boot? Unless of course you're doing it specifically for Windows XP nostalgia.

EAX

Reply 11 of 24, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was not precise enough - all older cpus will suffer performance penalties when used in a modern spectre / meltdown aware OS.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=articl … ombieload&num=1

If budget allows, an I7 3770 is still a reasonable CPU; I would not go lower. I still have one; after disabling all mitigations and using an SSD, the performance is acceptable.

Reply 12 of 24, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spectre and Meltdown affect even the non-hyperthreading I5 models? I wasn't aware of that. I'll need to do more research before I start buying parts. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. This may be a bad idea after all.

Reply 13 of 24, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a sandy bridge 2700k CPU (not ivy bridge) and a gigabyte board (z68xp-ud3) from around 2011 or so. I think the board can use Ivy Bridge CPU too.

Ran without issue for 7 years, and the board is still pretty solid, so I would suggest Gigabyte as a possibility. Only gripe is for some reason the SATA ports are at a right angle... makes it a real pita to plug in cables...

It has 2x PCI, can disable HT and cores, XP compatible, quality caps, usb3, no pci3.0 though... https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3-rev-13#ov

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 14 of 24, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote on 2021-09-02, 21:13:
digger wrote on 2021-09-02, 20:46:

EAX

Look like the timing was about right that QEMU VMs would support EAX through DSOAL. 😉
Not sure which EAX games you have in mind, if they work with DSOAL, then I think someone had used DSOAL with Wine, too.

Reply 15 of 24, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote on 2021-09-02, 20:04:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-09-02, 19:58:

Just make X58 platform PC. Problem solved.

No PCIe 3.0 support there.

I use a SuperMicro X8DTi, X58's xeon cousin. PCI 3.0 and all. Now only XP, has run Debian fine.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 16 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote on 2021-09-02, 21:45:

Spectre and Meltdown affect even the non-hyperthreading I5 models? I wasn't aware of that. I'll need to do more research before I start buying parts. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. This may be a bad idea after all.

Here's a list of cpus affected.

https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltd … tre-cpu-list/6/

A fairly good artical with licks to the original announcement.

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3247868/spe … ts-at-risk.html

Anyone got a definitive source wrt who has had these exploits out in the wild so to speak?

From the horses mouth.

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/0 … -with-side.html

These exploits apparently require local access to the system.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 17 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CwF wrote:

I use a SuperMicro X8DTi, X58's xeon cousin. PCI 3.0 and all.

It doesn't - https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboa … /5500/X8DTi.cfm

KT7AGuy wrote:

Why would you need one though?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18 of 24, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-09-03, 00:34:
It doesn't - https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboa … /5500/X8DTi.cfm […]
Show full quote
CwF wrote:

I use a SuperMicro X8DTi, X58's xeon cousin. PCI 3.0 and all.

It doesn't - https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboa … /5500/X8DTi.cfm

You're right! I'm thinking of the c602 based one, sorry. The gpu is a w7000, it might be...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-04, 02:33. Edited 1 time in total.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 19 of 24, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-09-03, 00:34:

I'm glad you asked, because it prompted me to look up the specs of the video cards I'm using. My Radeon HD 7770s use PCIe 3.0. However, and much to my surprise, my GTX 560 Ti 448 uses PCIe 2.0.

Based on what I've read here, there's a substantial increase in performance going from PCIe 2.0 to 3.0. Are real world results very different?