VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i was trying wast QEMU for Windows (4.2) to try setup Dos machine on Win 10 1909, but im stuck on half working keyboard (arrows key press work as double press) its some way how to fix it?

I have just vanilla Dos 7.1 install and its in every filemanager which i tried.

Picture animated Gif (works after click on it):

QEMIU-DOS-KeyboardProblem.gif
Filename
File size
637.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have also problem that numeric keys are not working us numbers, but as arrow keys, what is nice workaround, but far from desired, after 27 years of using arrow keys its hard to get used to it.

Last edited by ruthan on 2020-02-18, 13:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote on 2020-02-16, 20:59:
Hello, i was trying wast QEMU for Windows (4.2) to try setup Dos machine, but im stuck on half working keyboard (arrows key pres […]
Show full quote

Hello,
i was trying wast QEMU for Windows (4.2) to try setup Dos machine, but im stuck on half working keyboard (arrows key press work as double press) its some way how to fix it?

I have just vanilla Dos 7.1 install and its in every filemanager which i tried.

Picture animated Gif (works after click on it):

I have also problem that numeric keys are not working us numbers, but as arrow keys, what is nice workaround, but far from desired, after 27 years of using arrow keys its hard to get used to it.

How are you launching Qemu?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-02-17, 01:53:

How are you launching Qemu?

I found this in this tutorial and adjusted with my disc images and network settings + en keyboard:
https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_MS-DOS_on_Qemu

By this command form batch file:
qemu-system-i386 -hda HDDs\SystemDos7-2GB.vmdk -hdb HDDs\DosData20G.vmdk -vga vmware -m 64 -L . -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -cdrom Isos\dos71cd.iso -m 512 -k en-us

Sound its broken.. but there is fix ( Post 817904 ), but im not used to compile thing like this, if someone is, i would be thankful if you can share fixed Win binaries.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the file manager you used is a DJGPP DOS apps, then you may want to look at this.
DJGPP faulty keyboard handler

Pure DOS command prompt, real-mode only application should be fine. I do not have any keyboard issues with those.

Reply 4 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks,
i tried File Wizzard and Dos Navigator and you are right in Norton Commander and command line (tested through history) its working fine.. but same binaries are working fine with real machine, Virtualbox and Vmware Dos machines, same in Dosbox.. So i dont believe that its some DJGPP bug, it has to somehow connected to QEMU too.

Update:
I tried M602 Filemanager from 1991 or so, its has exactly the same problem, i really doubt that there is any piece of DJGPP inside it..
Volkov commander is fine too.

And what about Numlock?

Update 2:
I did some test with some disk images with Virtualbox and here its working fine, so it has to be some QEMU bug, at least on Windows.
Virtualbox had this bug too, but its 8-9 years, maybe it can help to solve it..
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/58
There is also some QEMU bug, which could be related:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1574246

Reply 5 of 16, by latalante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cursor keys on the numeric keypad work correctly.

However, recompile qemu. This old trivial patch fixes this bug.
https://github.com/pld-linux/qemu/blob/b4d7fb … -dosguest.patch

Initially, I tested this patch, but it turned out to be completely ineffective.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel … 8/msg01183.html

Reply 6 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cursor keys on the numeric keypad work correctly.

I know i wrote that, but how to switch Numeric keyboard to actually work as number keys?

If youcan compile Win QEMU, could you pleas compile DOS 4.2 with working sound for me?
Post 817904

Reply 7 of 16, by latalante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I was in a hurry. Unfortunately, but this patch generates more problems than it solves, after a short time the keyboard completely stops working.

I use Linux.
Compiling qemu 4.2 under Windows is a rather non-trivial task. Only for experienced people with full necessary toolchain installed.

Reply 8 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for you effort.

Last edited by ruthan on 2020-02-19, 00:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by latalante

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested both patches a little bit. I applied both to qemu-4.2.0.
Everything seems to work correctly under gtk (-display gtk).
With SDL2 (-display sdl), the use of backspace, shift, cursor suddenly stops responding to pressed keys.

edit:
Too quick assessment again. Under gtk, running quake and using cursors causes immediate blocking input.
Maybe they worked correctly with older Qemu versions including older SeaBIOS.

Reply 10 of 16, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
latalante wrote on 2020-02-18, 13:44:

I use Linux.
Compiling qemu 4.2 under Windows is a rather non-trivial task. Only for experienced people with full necessary toolchain installed.

For those swears by Microsoft toolchain, then this may be true for them.
Today, MSYS2/mingw-w64 provides similar Linux experience with the same GNU GCC toolchain, bash shell and all the typical Linux scripting arsenals. Compiling QEMU in MSYS2/mingw-w64 is as simple as "$ configure --your-options && make".

Reply 12 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote on 2020-02-19, 09:38:

For those swears by Microsoft toolchain, then this may be true for them.
Today, MSYS2/mingw-w64 provides similar Linux experience with the same GNU GCC toolchain, bash shell and all the typical Linux scripting arsenals. Compiling QEMU in MSYS2/mingw-w64 is as simple as "$ configure --your-options && make".

Could you pleas write some step by step tutorials for dummies?
With Visual Studio. i simply download files, check prerequisities in project description, if some is missing i run VS installer check particular checkbox(s) component- wait for installation, open project file and run build.. is something wrong.. it recheck checkboxes and build targets.. no console harmed.

This seems a bit more complicated, at least some git commands, i dunno how to use diff files and how to setup compiler etc.

Reply 13 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for info that this problem is not only thing of some strange Filemanager, i tried to install Win98 on Linux Qemu (2.11, my distro because of Ubuntu base doesnt have newer) and in scandisk is this part present too..

Reply 14 of 16, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found other problem (at least with Qemu 3.1), it seems that in Blood shift is not working for run.. it tried both shifts.

Reply 15 of 16, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-02-17, 17:25:

Dos Navigator

That program uses Borland's Turbo Vision, which is a known cause of the double keypress detection for arrow keys in Qemu (references: 1, 2). I've hit the problem myself with various Borland applications and other Turbo Vision applications, and also in GW-BASIC which this Qemu bug mentions is another known cause of the issue.

This Qemu bug mentions that there is a fix in Qemu 6.1 which you need to activate using the command-line option -global i8042.kbd-throttle=on and I can confirm that it works for me with Borland Turbo Vision applications and GW-BASIC.

Reply 16 of 16, by williecdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had this same issue (a single arrow key press results in two key presses) with Borland's Turbo C++ v3.0 in MS-DOS 6.22, using qemu-system-i386.exe [QEMU emulator version 6.1.0 (v6.1.0-11882-g7deea770bf-dirty)], running on a host WIndows 10 laptop. The fix for me was easy. I just added the following options to the command line:

c:\qemu> qemu-system-i386 <other qemu options go here> -usb -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet

I found this fix at: realtechtalk.com/QEMU_KVM_Keyboard_Problems_Not_Working_Right_Repeating_Characters_CtrlC_Copy_and_Paste_not_working_right_when_using_PS2_mouse_in_guests_Solution-2350-articles