VOGONS

mp3

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The popping speakers at startup is normal with the SB Pro2. The loading times are not.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 22 of 25, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scroeffie wrote on 2021-09-10, 18:36:

wil do some more testing tomorrow ,maybe wil test with a real hdd and not a compact flash card

You can also try to force select your soundblaster card. Maybe the detection takes longer than normal on your PC.
mpxplay.exe -scs SBP

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 23 of 25, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Socket 7 computer has three ISA sound cards (I use S16 on MPXPLAY.INI) and even with auto detection (also modifying the environment variables to force which card will be used) it doesn't even take that long for MPXPLAY to start like the OP stated.

Also used multiple CPUs on that computer to make sure, this is the most strangest issue I've ever seen.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 24 of 25, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the maker of the program told me this wil try it after dinner

did you set the BLASTER environment variable in DOS?
Mpxplay
type on the command line:
set
Mpxplay
you get the list of environment variables
Mpxplay
you need a setting like this:
BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
Mpxplay
the simpliest way to get the correct BLASTER value:
mpxplay -sct SBP
Mpxplay
then put that line in the autoexec.bat file, eg:
Mpxplay
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
Mpxplay
Mpxplay
at the next reboot, the setting takes effect, the mpxplay will/should start faster

Reply 25 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-09, 15:35:

Yes, with MPXPLAY. You'll need a least a fast 486 as minimum for playing high bitrate MP3 files.

Quite a few options.
https://pmwiki.xaver.me/drdoswiki/index.php?n … diaplayers#toc4

I suspect the most efficient player will be something fairly cut down such as DOSAMP. I've heard of reduced quality files being decoded in real time on a 386 with no hardware assist, but it'd be fairly sketchy.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder