VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-11, 01:32:

Hey, the original motherboard that was in this computer had a via chipset and a 1.4 gigahertz Celeron CPU.
Do you think that motherboard would support the 1.4ghz Pentium III ?
Its a Socket 370.

My goodness you have to ask? Go look at the mobos manual if you don't know.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 21 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like quite a complex procedure with having to change the jumpers to 133 and all.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 49, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a manual for this motherboard ?

Attachments

Reply 23 of 49, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend an i820 Camino motherboard with RAMBUST, a Pentium III 1133 (not the re-issue, the original coppermine version), an IBM Deathstar 75GXP (the more platters the better), and a Bitchin' Fast 3D. Only use power supplies usingthe finest Taiwanese capacitors made between 1999~2006.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2021-09-11, 07:10. Edited 2 times in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 24 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/836448/Dfi- … l?page=7#manual

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 49, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-11, 02:46:

Do you have a manual for this motherboard ?

No AGP and no ISA. Not a board I would use. Especially since you said you want high performance.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 49, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mods:

Why haven't we banned this nonsense yet? This user's entire post history is stolen pictures and random hypothetical builds in which they ask for advice without listening to anyone's responses. It is of precisely no value to the community and wastes other users' time when they try to be helpful and provide meaningful information. As of this post, Intel486dx33 has posted 3,988 times and I suspect that about 10 of them were constructive.

Attachments

• InWin2.png
    Filename
    InWin2.png
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Source of interior pic.
    File license
    Public domain
  • InWin.png
    Filename
    InWin.png
    File size
    366.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Source of the cropped picture
    File license
    Public domain

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 27 of 49, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-11, 02:35:

It looks like quite a complex procedure with having to change the jumpers to 133 and all.

Wouldn't you need a Diploma in Computer Science to do that?

Reply 28 of 49, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote on 2021-09-11, 04:34:

Mods:

Why haven't we banned this nonsense yet? This user's entire post history is stolen pictures and random hypothetical builds in which they ask for advice without listening to anyone's responses. It is of precisely no value to the community and wastes other users' time when they try to be helpful and provide meaningful information. As of this post, Intel486dx33 has posted 3,988 times and I suspect that about 10 of them were constructive.

Well done! Quite a few of us have known this for years.

I got put in the naughty room for calling it out in the past.

Reply 29 of 49, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-11, 05:11:
Well done! Quite a few of us have known this for years. I got put in the naughty room for calling it out in the past. […]
Show full quote

Mods:

I called it out what seems like two years ago. I haven't been as active on VOGONS lately, and one of the first topics I found on my return was this one, and it was hard to believe that the same exact thing is still happening. I was sympathetic at first giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm now darned-near positive that it's a troll and, even if it isn't, it's a drain on the community.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 30 of 49, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, even with the 3 bulging caps this motherboard still works.
I just need the Win2k drivers for video and audio.
The audio chip is some sort of Realtech brand ?
The video driver is a VIA chipset ?
Might be a trident or S3 video ?

Attachments

Reply 31 of 49, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-11, 06:13:
Okay, even with the 3 bulging caps this motherboard still works. I just need the Win2k drivers for video and audio. The audio ch […]
Show full quote

Could be, possibly, maybe...I think.

Reply 32 of 49, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote on 2021-09-11, 05:22:
Well done! Quite a few of us have known this for years. I got put in the naughty room for calling it out in the past. […]
Show full quote

Mods:

I called it out what seems like two years ago. I haven't been as active on VOGONS lately, and one of the first topics I found on my return was this one, and it was hard to believe that the same exact thing is still happening. I was sympathetic at first giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm now darned-near positive that it's a troll and, even if it isn't, it's a drain on the community.

I always imagine he's posting from the computer station in the old folks' home, would explain a lot. The other residents must get sick of his rambling about silicon valley in the 90s though.

Reply 33 of 49, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-09-11, 02:56:

I recommend an i820 Camino motherboard with RAMBUST, a Pentium III 1133 (not the re-issue, the original coppermine version), an IBM Deathstar 75GXP (the more platters the better), and a Bitchin' Fast 3D. Only use power supplies usingthe finest Taiwanese capacitors made between 1999~2006.

i820 with RAMBUS RIMMs, hell no, he needs an i820 with SDRAM with performance and stability-enhancing MTH in between. I saw an Intel CC820 for sale locally, would be perfect for the job.

Oh, and keep the caps on the motherboard in the pics, they're great as they are.

Reply 34 of 49, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-11, 06:13:
Okay, even with the 3 bulging caps this motherboard still works. I just need the Win2k drivers for video and audio. The audio ch […]
Show full quote

Probably VIA PLE133, shared video memory 8 MB and missing AGP - do you really want that??! Realtek AC codec, video Trident Blade3D, clearly an office machine - but if that's your wish, good luck and fun...

Reply 35 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mods:

If he bothers you so much, why don't you just put him on your ignore list?
If someone bothers you this much for years apparently (and tbf I do see why) it's better to block him and be done with it instead of having to put up with it.
He's apparently clearly not taking in anything you say, so why say anything to him at all?

Having said that, I also just keep in mind that years later people will still find this thread and will appreciate the constructive replies and will perhaps also disregard the OPs ehm... apparenty below average IQ? Not sure how to call it without moving into trolling territory 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-09-09, 20:37:
Time to start a new project using this case. Any suggestions ? I want to use an Intel Pentium III What motherboard should I use […]
Show full quote

Time to start a new project using this case.
Any suggestions ?
I want to use an Intel Pentium III
What motherboard should I use ?
I want to run Win2k.
What speed pentium III should I use ?
I have a NOS 300watt PSU.

I really liked those Powerman PSUs. They seemed very similar to the old FSP PSUs, though I don't think I ever seen a 300W one (most I seen are the 235W and 250W varieties).

That case is nice, it's one of those typical and sturdy beige ATX cases with AT mounting compatibility and relatively poor airflow.

A Pentium 3 should probably still run fine with it, but keep in mind that it will tax the PSU a bit more than usual as basically all the hot air will have to be moved through the PSU for it to be pushed out of the case. You should be able to add a front intake case fan though.

I would however definitely check that PSU for any leaking caps before using it!

Report spammers here!

Reply 37 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2021-09-09, 22:44:

I remember this case model well. We used to build and sell systems with these cases back when I worked at MyCom in the late 90s and early 2000s. (a popular Dutch computer retail store back in the day).

It's a nice clean design.

I remember MyCom! My first PC was from MyCom actually. I found that at the time, the MyCom PCs were definitely of better build quality compared to some of the more dubious PC shop-build PC sold back in those days. Mine also came with a Powerman PSU btw and it kept running for years 😀
I actually recently found some of the old pricelists I kept all these years from back in the day (roughly Pentium 2 era) and have been meaning to scan them and upload them to somewhare for a while now, but just never got around to doing it.

Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-10, 18:31:
Back in the day.... in the 90's and early 2000's I would almost always modify the cooling on any case I used. […]
Show full quote

Back in the day.... in the 90's and early 2000's I would almost always modify the cooling on any case I used.

That case is just begging for a 120mm exhaust fan hole in the top of the case and an intake in the bottom front of the case - looks like it already has a mount for a bottom front fan.

Also, better airflow and lower noise could be had by cutting out the super restrictive fan grill in the back of the case. Mount a fan there as an intake fan there as well.... if you add a 120mm exhaust fan to the top of the case that is.

Wil those couple mods, you should end up with a case that has internal temps staying at or very close to ambient temps.

Since you are going PIII, I say go for a PIII 1.4s. Why bother with a slower one? Not like there are any games that are going to be speed sensitive that you would be playing on a slower PIII.

You just need a motherboard that can support the Tualatins. You could even go with something like an ASUS P2B-DS (Dual Slot-1 with onboard SCSI). An updated BIOS will give you Tualatin support and you will just need compatible Slotkets to complete it.

It would definitely help to use a jigsaw or some other powertool to cut out those case fan excaust tiny-holes-which-barely-provide-any-cooling-whatsoever spots. Not only will this improve cooling, it will also help reduce noise from the fan. As an extra bonus this will also keep the case closer to its original configuration where adding a 12cm top exhaust fan imo just makes this case more similar to a modern case, of which there are plenty anyway.

Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 49, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This user's entire post history is stolen pictures and random hypothetical builds in which they ask for advice without listening to anyone's responses. It is of precisely no value to the community and wastes other users' time when they try to be helpful and provide meaningful information. As of this post, Intel486dx33 has posted 3,988 times and I suspect that about 10 of them were constructive.

also, this isn't even an InWin A500, but a S500