Reply 1780 of 1781, by ElectroSoldier
- Rank
- Oldbie
The Solutor wrote on Today, 19:30:Yes, but, at least on Intel machines those things can be controlled easily using Throttle Stop under Windows or the power-cap ut […]
ElectroSoldier wrote on Today, 19:14:Regarding the power used on idle between the 35W and 65W TDP packages you are right, at idle they are basically equals, but the 65W ramp more aggressively, and the i7 over i5 even more so.
Yes, but, at least on Intel machines those things can be controlled easily using Throttle Stop under Windows or the power-cap utils under Linux (I use them for opposite reasons to decap my N100 from the ridiculous value of 6W (the CPU is rated for 35W)
On the AMD machines isn't that easy, even official AMD utils don't manage older gens Ryzen, whatever maybe the situation is evolving from the last time I looked at the matter
I almost bought the 2400GE CPU version just the other day but those systems just hold their price here in the UK. They are really popular on the home lab market.
Yeah, I got mine one year ago for 85 euro shipping included from the NL one year ago or so. But that was a machine w/o WIFI, HDD, and just 4GB of RAM installed, other than that it was practically a brand new machine, zero scratches, zero dust, perfect.
Yeah given the power of the Ryzen 2400G in both terms of IPC and electro energy I think Ill keep the 15W of the i5-7200U.
The services Ill be running will be basic!
The thing will be on idle most of the time and 15W CPU wont even register on my smart meter.
It will run headless to keep drivers to a minimum, and the IRCd if it even works is just as a whim! because nobody uses IRC these days.
I need a machine to tie in my VPN and run services like Unbound and Pihole and a 15W CPU seemed to me to fit the bill especially as it was £53 delivered.
I have a HP T630 doing most of that work right now. Its just the physically shape of the T630 no longer fits with what I want it all to look like.
Im sick of it all looking like Frankensteins lab.