VOGONS

Which Soundcard for a Pentium 60 MHZ

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Mozart cards may however do SB Pro in mono only. At least some people claim that.

Reply 21 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

Be aware some of the Crystal Cards have a really buggy OPL Variant.

The aforementioned CS/CX4235 chips. Avoid.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
matze79 wrote:

Be aware some of the Crystal Cards have a really buggy OPL Variant.

The aforementioned CS/CX4235 chips. Avoid.

CX/CX4236 is my favorite among their CrystalFM chips, I think.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't own one so I can only go by recordings from others testing their gear, but the CS4236 and CS4237 definitely don't seem to have the same glitches that plague the 4235. My CS4232 card also doesn't seem to be as broken, although I'm still not a fan of the off-board CrystalFM chip.

Based on recordings as well as testing of my card, PCM output of Crystal chips is pretty uniformly excellent, though. Plus, the way I recall the Pentium / Windows era, it didn't really have many new titles that made extensive use of FM.

Reply 24 of 28, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A good card with a CS4232/6/7/8/9 is a good and still cheap card. Avoid at all cost the cs4235 card. Also seek for a card with a decent design if you can. Like a TB Tropez plus or a TB Malibu64.

Reply 25 of 28, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks man, I will check that out.....

Reply 26 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marmes wrote:

A good card with a CS4232/6/7/8/9 is a good and still cheap card. Avoid at all cost the cs4235 card. Also seek for a card with a decent design if you can. Like a TB Tropez plus or a TB Malibu64.

No CS4238 or CS4239. Also, these cards were highly integrated and a lot of manufacturers stuck close to the reference design, so sound quality should fairly uniform.

Reply 27 of 28, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a cs4239 card for sale on Deutsch ebay lindy brand. Also cs4238 exists, only differs in 3d sound from cs4237.

Reply 28 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marmes wrote:

There is a cs4239 card for sale on Deutsch ebay lindy brand. Also cs4238 exists, only differs in 3d sound from cs4237.

Right you are. Damn, I bet those are rare.