VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2024-01-15, 04:41:

Man that mixer is almost as big as the PC! but it's just lying around then makes perfect sense.

It's from an older studio setup I had. I was thinking of selling it but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Turns out it came in handy of this project.

I think in the long run if I decide to make this a permanent setup, I'll probably go with something more compact like this ART 8-stereo channel mixer. Doesn't have any EQ options or fancy routing, but is much more compact.

rack-mixers-mx822-angle.jpg

I run audio extension cables from the back of each PC and manually plug the speakers into which ever PC I'm using at the time, takes a lot less space but naturally no ability to mix different sources

That can work as long as there is no need to mix multiple sound cards for things like digital audio and music.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21 of 30, by SGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's an impressive 486 rig! 😳
I have tried to find a 90's case with a speed display (green led numbers), but no luck so far.

Reply 22 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice setup.
What OS are you running ?
I would use the Pentium Over drive CPU because you have some expensive and rare sound cards.
The Pentium CPU plays games better so you will get the best sound out of those cards.
Also a Fast Quiet CDROM like Sony 52x
Nice case setup.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2024-05-30, 00:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-05-29, 07:49:
Nice setup. What OS are you running ? I would us the Pentium Over drive CPU because you have some expensive and rare sound cards […]
Show full quote

Nice setup.
I would us the Pentium Over drive CPU because you have some expensive and rare sound cards.
The Pentium CPU plays games better so you will get the best sound out of those cards.
Nice case setup.

Thank you!

I'm running DOS 6.22 currently. I might install Windows 3.11 at some point, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I thought about using the Pentium Overdrive, but for games from 1993-1995 (what I'm targeting for this PC), I don't think there would be much benefit in terms of performance. Benchmarks I've seen tend to put the DX4-100 in similar running with the POD 83 for games of that era.

Quake would run better with that POD, but it's a bit beyond the scope of this build.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 24 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SGM wrote on 2024-05-29, 05:14:

That's an impressive 486 rig! 😳
I have tried to find a 90's case with a speed display (green led numbers), but no luck so far.

Thank you!

I lucked out getting this case a few years ago in quite good shape. They aren't the easiest to come by, that's for sure.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 25 of 30, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-06, 18:30:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32 Address: 220 Interrupt: 5 DMA: 1/7 MIDI Port: 310 EMU8000: 620 FM: 388 Except for the MIDI por […]
Show full quote

Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32
Address: 220
Interrupt: 5
DMA: 1/7
MIDI Port: 310
EMU8000: 620
FM: 388
Except for the MIDI port I went with mostly stock hardware settings for the AWE32. This was to ensure broad compatibility with DOS games.
Since the CT3980 version of this card has genuine OPL, it's the primary FM synth card for Adlib support. I haven't installed any extra RAM or an external wavetable card yet, but I may in the future.
For simplicity sake I'm using the UNISOUND driver instead of the Creative Labs driver.

I am interested in one detail here. I am trying to set up just two sound cards atm, which worked out OK except for one thing. One of the cards is above CT 3980. (Have 2740 rev3 too, but too noisy for my taste)
It is equipped with 8MB ram and a NEC XR wavetable. (I know , a different issue...). I would want the OPL3 available for FM.

I am currently trying to pair it with the onboard sound (ESS SOLO-1 PCI). The FM goes to the same card, no matter what I set in the game. With swapping address 220/240 among the cards, I can get FM out of either one or the other, but it won't be selectable from within the game.
I currently have two theories as to which card the FM goes, when two cards are active: It either goes to the card on A220 OR it goes to the card that was installed first. Did you figure out where FM goes when several resources are present?

I can't just turn off one card, cause in DOS I want the daughterboard on the SB at 330 and I often want the ESS to do the SBPro digital (no DMA clicking).

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 26 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-29, 23:11:
Thank you! […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-05-29, 07:49:
Nice setup. What OS are you running ? I would us the Pentium Over drive CPU because you have some expensive and rare sound cards […]
Show full quote

Nice setup.
I would us the Pentium Over drive CPU because you have some expensive and rare sound cards.
Nice case setup.

Thank you!

I'm running DOS 6.22 currently. I might install Windows 3.11 at some point, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I thought about using the Pentium Overdrive, but for games from 1993-1995 (what I'm targeting for this PC), I don't think there would be much benefit in terms of performance. Benchmarks I've seen tend to put the DX4-100 in similar running with the POD 83 for games of that era.

Quake would run better with that POD, but it's a bit beyond the scope of this build.

Win3x runs Amazingly better on a Pentium Overdrive CPU. And the Pentium can play MP3’s too.
Video files and Video CD’s
Networking is better, You can use a 100mb NIC with a WIFI extender for fast Networking.
You can always Slow down the Pentium by disabling Cache or using SetMul Utlity

Reply 27 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-06-10, 14:42:
Win3x runs Amazingly better on a Pentium Overdrive CPU. And the Pentium can play MP3’s too. Video files and Video CD’s Networkin […]
Show full quote

Win3x runs Amazingly better on a Pentium Overdrive CPU. And the Pentium can play MP3’s too.
Video files and Video CD’s
Networking is better, You can use a 100mb NIC with a WIFI extender for fast Networking.
You can always Slow down the Pentium by disabling Cache or using SetMul Utlity

While I'm sure the Pentium OD would be good at those things, it's mostly beyond the scope of this build. I'm mainly just using this for early 90s DOS games with various music options.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 28 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote on 2024-06-10, 05:42:

I am currently trying to pair it with the onboard sound (ESS SOLO-1 PCI). The FM goes to the same card, no matter what I set in the game. With swapping address 220/240 among the cards, I can get FM out of either one or the other, but it won't be selectable from within the game.
I currently have two theories as to which card the FM goes, when two cards are active: It either goes to the card on A220 OR it goes to the card that was installed first. Did you figure out where FM goes when several resources are present?

I can't just turn off one card, cause in DOS I want the daughterboard on the SB at 330 and I often want the ESS to do the SBPro digital (no DMA clicking).

In my experience when multiple sound cards are present, FM will typically work on all of them simultaneously. I've noticed this with sound cards where I leave the default FM port of 388, such as this build.

In the case of my 5 sound card 486 DX/33, I had to specifically re-assign the FM ports on the AWE64 and Yamaha cards to avoid conflicting with the GoldLib.

I haven't tried mixing multiple sound cards with onboard audio, nor I have tried mixing ISA and PCI sound cards and using them simultaneously for FM. So I'm afraid I don't have experience with the scenario you describe.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 29 of 30, by Linoleum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-06, 18:30:
This build was inspired by Cloudschatze's MIDI General build, but with a couple different sound cards. […]
Show full quote

This build was inspired by Cloudschatze's MIDI General build, but with a couple different sound cards.

486 DX4-100 OD Case Exterior.jpg

Specs as follows:

CPU: Intel 486DX-100 OverDrive
MB: ECS UM486V w/ 256k L2 cache (UMC UM82C480 chipset)
RAM: 16 MB (4x4MB 30 pin)
Disk Drives: 3.5" floppy drive
CD Drive: Toshiba 4x CD-ROM
Fixed Storage: 512 MB Sandisk CompactFlash + CF-IDE Adapter
Video Card: Tseng ET4000/WP32 VLB w/ 1 MB of RAM
Controller Card: DTK PTI-255W V1.2 VLB EIDE controller

Sound Cards:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32 (CT3980)
Gravis UltraSound PnP
Guillemot MaxiSound 64 Home Studio Pro (SC8600) + Yamaha DB51XG daughterboard
Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (PAS16)
Reveal Sound FX Wave 32 (Ensoniq Soundscape clone)
Roland SCC-1

486 DX4-100 OD Case Internals.jpg

The first challenge for this build was selecting a motherboard and case combo that could accommodate all these cards. I opted for a Socket 3 board that had a total of 8 ISA slots with minimal obstructions on the board itself. I ended up with a 1993 UM486V motherboard.

Based on the sound cards I was planning, I wanted decent performance for games up to the mid-90s. Since this board only support 5V processors, I opted to go with an Intel 486DX-100 OverDrive processor. I also considered a Pentium overdrive instead, but decided to stick with a pure 486 setup.

Cooling is provided by a couple Noctua fans. I side-mounted a Noctua 40mm fan to the CPU heatsink directly. There is an additional 80mm fan exhaust fan mounted to the case.

486 DX4-100 OD processor closeup.jpg

I did run into an issue with the stock BIOS not recognizing the L2 cache with an overdrive processor installed. Fortunately this was solved by using an alternative MR BIOS version for the UM82C480 chipset.

The board has a pair VLB slots which are used for the controller card and video card.

For storage, I went with a standard quad speed CD-ROM, 3.5" floppy and 512MB Compact Flash card. The CF card is mounted internally using a 3D printed drive bay CF-to-IDE adapter.

486 DX4-100 OD CF card closeup.jpg

Getting everything installed and configured was a bit of a challenge and involved some compromises. But everything is set up so that all cards can be used via a single AUTOEXEC configuration. No batch files or boot menus are needed.

Based on initial testing, most things seem to work. The only incompatibility I've run into has been Warcraft 2 and digital audio for the Reveal Sound FX Wave 32 and PAS16. For whatever reason, digital audio doesn't work properly; the digital sample will constantly restart resulting in a stuttering sound. But digital audio in other games like Descent and Dark Forces works fine.

I haven't figured out how I'm going to route all the audio yet. I've got some ideas for mixer setups, but I'll have to experiment to find a workable setup.

Nice build! But, where's the power supply in all that?

#1: Sempron 3000+, 1Gb, HD3650 AGP, SB Audigy 2 ZS
#2: P4 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, Voodoo3 3000, SB Live!
#3: P3 866Mhz, 384Mb, Riva TNT2 AGP, SB Live!
#4: P233 MMX, 64Mb, ATI Rage II+, SB 32
#5: P100, 32Mb , S3 Virge, Sb16, Mt32-Pi & PicoGus v2.0

Reply 30 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Linoleum wrote on 2024-06-12, 00:20:

Nice build! But, where's the power supply in all that?

Thank you!

PSU is in there, above the exhaust fan. I cropped the picture, since I didn't it was that interesting to look at.

It's just a generic 250W AT PSU.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build