VOGONS


Reply 20 of 32, by ldare1000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Uk

Reply 21 of 32, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the thing about connecting a psx pad directly to the parallel port: you're overvolting it. A playstation only uses 3.6V signals while a parallel port is 5V. So unless you're using a voltage translator or open drain buffer (on all the lines, not just VCC) you're potentially risking the controller's life.

Reply 23 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I'm currently working an a ready2use adapter. I'll post the eBay link as soon as I'm done with it.

Reply 24 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
jmarsh wrote on 2026-07-22, 16:37:

Here's the thing about connecting a psx pad directly to the parallel port: you're overvolting it. A playstation only uses 3.6V signals while a parallel port is 5V. So unless you're using a voltage translator or open drain buffer (on all the lines, not just VCC) you're potentially risking the controller's life.

I had already looked into that, and several sources say that the controller can handle 3–5V. But I think thats only for old PS1 controllers. Then I guess I'll install a few level shifters.

Reply 25 of 32, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A single 74LS06 gives enough open-drain buffers to convert all the signals, you just need to add some pull-up resistors.

Reply 26 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I've already chosen one (SN74LVC3G34DCUR) and implemented it.

Reply 27 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Update: I’ve finished the PCB and now I’m waiting for manufacturing. I’ve already bought the components as well. After that, I’ll assemble a few and test them. If everything works well on my IBM ThinkPad 380XD running MS-DOS with a PS1 (analogue) controller, I’ll sell a few on eBay.

If you’d like to buy them directly from me, just send me a PM (At the moment, I don’t yet have permission to send a PM 🙁 ).

Reply 28 of 32, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have 6 licensed wireless ps2 controllers made by logitech where the receivers are extremely sensitive to non-compliant voltages outside of 3.6v. it makes finding working usb, gamecube, wii etc... adapters very frustrating.

Reply 29 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

The adapter powers the controller from a regulated 3.3 V LDO, and the three lines the adapter drives — CLK, CMD and ATT — go through a level shifter that runs off that same rail. So nothing the adapter actively drives can exceed 3.3 V. That was a deliberate choice for exactly the reason you describe. But it hasn't been tested with wireless receivers.

Current draw is likely the real limit. The adapter is powered from the parallel port's data pins through 4 diodes, which yields only a few milliamps. A wireless receiver draws more than a wired pad. For that case the board has a 2-pin header for external 5 V — the LDO still regulates it down to a clean 3.3 V, and the diodes block any back-feed into the port.

Reply 30 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@ldare1000
I’ve now got the circuit boards and components together, and I’ve built and tested the first converter. It works like a charm and the controller sees only 3.3V, so its safe. I will test the converter on few other old PCs/laptops and then sell a small batch on eBay.

Reply 31 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

All that’s missing now is a 3D-printed case 😀

Reply 32 of 32, by ottelo9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@ldare1000
Please contact me via my blog to get a converter. I offered few on ebay but without international delivery (only germany atm).

For more information see my github repo or my blog.