VOGONS


Reply 40 of 47, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on Today, 06:20:

The way I interpret it is that he's just dicking around with this AI thing. The trailer he showed is SHIT. I can tell because my wife actually watches a lot of this AI generated video gunk, which is actually quite good, and when I say "good" I mean it's actually very well done and doesn't look and feel anything as lame, awkward and cheap as what David churned out. It's still clearly AI generated though, it has its own look and feel which doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own I guess. BUT, you can create something that is actually much much better with AI than David demonstrates in his video. However, I did enjoy the section in his video where he goes through some of the challenges

His AI video is similar to most AI videos in quality, they just resemble a series of glued together events and sentences.

The number of AI videos that are of acceptable+ quality is only around the 1% mark,
So videos most people say are good, may have a well researched topic but the ai voice and mannerisms makes it more of a chore.

The only good ai programming I’ve seen is actually the Doctor Who relaunch but even with custom tools and a decent script
you can still pick out a bunch of nonsense

I’m not saying real tv and movies don’t sometimes have similar issues but those were considered continuity errors or bad set and acting decisions. (Or poorly executed, underfunded b movie slop)

In David’s case he should have leaned hard into turning his video Into the most campy , AI meme style possible randomly peppered through
while having a good plot but attempt to replicate the historical bad movie tropes and style.

Leaning hard into brief moments of content of similar quality to Will Smith eating spaghetti for background moments and making it to neg AI video could be fun.
Ai shouldn’t be meant to be high art, might as well work hard so it’s as far away as possible on purpose.

Reply 41 of 47, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

Some of the comments below the video and here on vogons make me think that few people around here on this forums are really... well to put it mildly I wouldn't want to hang around with you.

Fine by me. You willingly entered a thread with the title "8-Bit Guy Goes AI - I dislike it. Anyone else?" .

eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

You are looking for every reason to cancel him.

I don't think that's the case. Maybe I missed the posts that were moderated, but so far the conversation seems to be quite tame.

eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

It was a gun,

No, it was a grown-ass man openly carrying an assault rifle in a store and proclaiming he was doing it to own the libs/troll the snowflakes or w/e. Had it been because of personal beliefs or moral/ethical/political compasses it would have been maybe understandable, although I'm sure that's not the case for a lot of us folk not living in the US. But to be a 40+ year old person with a wife, kid/s and a platform of people that subscribe to you for your jovial attitude, knowledge and all round fun times discussing computer stuff, let's just call it what it is, man-baby behavior at best. [/quote]

eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

some kind of repair mistake

Come on now, you can't just throw this as a little extra in there. I mean despite the gun video, 8-Bit guy was mostly in perfectly good standing with most people, either because they missed that prior video or they didn't care, they were there for the knowledge and script + presentation. The guy picked up a prototype computer and just borked it? I don't even recall the details anymore but it was embarrassing stuff. He has a platform, he can ask people, he can do a collab with someone else more knowledgeable on this particular issue/hardware or whatever, he can donate it to a museum of his liking and approval. But instead he does this?
Or maybe it was one of his elaborate l33t pranks to make fun of overly serious people on the webz again? Perhaps, not sure it went over well for him.

eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

8-bit PC that he made, boring series about Texas IT corporations, few games that he developed

I'm sure I've heard something on the first two but I'm just not really keeping up with him these past few years, but I thought his games were fairly well received for being okay to good but mostly for the technical merit and interesting aspect of scaling up 8bit games all the way to 256 VGA on PC?

As for the rest of your post I don't really know what to make of it. Have you not heard any of the anti-AI/LLM statements? Even if you don't agree with any of them, which I take it is the case here, is it really that much of a stretch to understand why people see him pursuing this avenue and simply not agreeing with it? And also making fun of him, because you know he seems like a guy that can take a joke, remember the gun business? That was funny!

But really, did you not see what he produced? He doesn't need to prompt anything, he and you and anyone else can just open up a TikTok account and like a couple of similar videos and eventually you'll get exactly the same brain-dead and lifeless looking "content" to your heart's content. It's shit. A mishmash of plagiarized shit that takes up a lot (understatement of the year) of power to produce, has the entire market on a frenzy, is costing jobs left and right everyday, has caused hardware prices on even the most simple electronic devices to skyrocket and further accelerates our happy march towards doomsday scenarios.

If you want to shoot a film, shoot a film. Short or longer. We live in an era where what constitutes a film or a series is constantly in debate. Try your best and be yourself, it can be quite endearing.
This is once again, embarrassing stuff.

Reply 42 of 47, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

From some of the posts I just get "AI sucks."
When I was in school everyone thought that using a calculator in math class was cheating. How about now? Things change.
To be fair, his videos suck.
I could not watch even one.
But having said that, he has the right to post them.
People bitching here does nothing.
Get a life!

Last edited by tannerstevo on 2026-10-11, 22:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 47, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aVd wrote on Today, 20:39:

Now seriously. This thread derailed with the first comment about "the gun problem" (form one of "the usual suspects") and I think, it should be closed for good, just like the rest provocative and politically biased useless threads here, which create only tensions between the forum members.

And I'm not telling you what to do, but just look what your Canadian colleague-moderator is doing again. Honestly, I miss @DosFreak as a mod and he with his double standards wasn't cut out for that job at all, but at least he was politically neutral.

To be clear, my reasons for not watching his channel anymore have nothing to do with his politics. It has everything to do with his behaviors that, in my view, were insensitive at best and cruel at worst.

That it happens to be in relation to a political issue is incidental. At least in my view.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 44 of 47, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Shponglefan wrote on 46 minutes ago:
aVd wrote on Today, 20:39:

Now seriously. This thread derailed with the first comment about "the gun problem" (form one of "the usual suspects") and I think, it should be closed for good, just like the rest provocative and politically biased useless threads here, which create only tensions between the forum members.

And I'm not telling you what to do, but just look what your Canadian colleague-moderator is doing again. Honestly, I miss @DosFreak as a mod and he with his double standards wasn't cut out for that job at all, but at least he was politically neutral.

To be clear, my reasons for not watching his channel anymore have nothing to do with his politics. It has everything to do with his behaviors that, in my view, were insensitive at best and cruel at worst.

That it happens to be in relation to a political issue is incidental. At least in my view.

the "Gun problem"is an issue
leave it out.
e

Reply 45 of 47, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on Today, 05:14:

YouTube and chasing the Algorithm is a disease many YouTube creators get infected with, its an insidious disease that creeps in slowly till its too late to stop it. Its like boiling a frog in a pot very slowly so the frog doesn't realise its boiling till its too late.

A sponsor here and another there, perhaps a huge paid collab or two and before they know it they are only making Videos to get that fat cash.

Watched it happen with LTT and a few other creators I liked, once you notice the pattern its impossible to ignore it and honestly it destroyed YouTube for me.

I think this speaks to people going from Youtube as a hobby to Youtube as a job. Especially channels like LTT that grew an entire business out of Youtube.

For people looking to make a living at this, it's typically going to come in the form of sponsorships or merchandising (or both). Just random advertising doesn't pay what it used to.

LGR seems an exception to this, though I imagine he probably made most of his money from his channel when advertising paid more.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 46 of 47, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Garrett W wrote on Today, 21:57:

I decline your invitation to discuss more about this subject. It's a waste of time for all people involved here as nobody will change what they think no matter what sort of arguments will be used. My participation in this topic is over.

Reply 47 of 47, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 39 minutes ago:
I think this speaks to people going from Youtube as a hobby to Youtube as a job. Especially channels like LTT that grew an entir […]
Show full quote
Trashbytes wrote on Today, 05:14:

YouTube and chasing the Algorithm is a disease many YouTube creators get infected with, its an insidious disease that creeps in slowly till its too late to stop it. Its like boiling a frog in a pot very slowly so the frog doesn't realise its boiling till its too late.

A sponsor here and another there, perhaps a huge paid collab or two and before they know it they are only making Videos to get that fat cash.

Watched it happen with LTT and a few other creators I liked, once you notice the pattern its impossible to ignore it and honestly it destroyed YouTube for me.

I think this speaks to people going from Youtube as a hobby to Youtube as a job. Especially channels like LTT that grew an entire business out of Youtube.

For people looking to make a living at this, it's typically going to come in the form of sponsorships or merchandising (or both). Just random advertising doesn't pay what it used to.

LGR seems an exception to this, though I imagine he probably made most of his money from his channel when advertising paid more.

Oh I understand that, people who decide to use YT as a job need to make money, I just think that switch to chase the cash and views has in its own way destroyed many a Tech and Retro Tech channel. LGR never struck me as a guy who ever wanted to make YT his job, but rather used the sponsors and ads as a means to support the channel to produce further content, LTT went the other way where the entire channel/s became the adds and the content was there as a vehicle for the adds/sponsors. To each their own I guess, I still watch LGR and have not watched LTT in a very long time, I don't watch 8bit guy, not because of anything he has done but rather I don't like the content and don't find the presentation style to be entertaining.

In my own defense I do treat YT like TV, if I don't like the program on I switch the channel, I dont go complaining about it or making wild accusations about the content creator.