VOGONS


First post, by RedSarg99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi all. Search hasn't been kind to me.
I have a SB Audigy 1 and 2, and managed to nab a XIFI front panel, it looks exactly like the Audigy platinum IO panel just missing the 1394 ports.
Would a standard IDE 40 pin cable suffice to hook it onto the audigy card?

Reply 1 of 5, by ott

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
RedSarg99 wrote on 2026-05-13, 08:05:

Would a standard IDE 40 pin cable suffice to hook it onto the audigy card?

Yes, I can confirm that this cable will work with Audigy2/2ZS and X-Fi I/O Drive panel (SB0251).

As for Audigy1, it's not compatible with Audigy2/2ZS/X-Fi panels due to the difference in pinouts:
Re: Different versions of Live Drive?

Reply 2 of 5, by RedSarg99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
ott wrote on 2026-05-13, 09:41:
Yes, I can confirm that this cable will work with Audigy2/2ZS and X-Fi I/O Drive panel (SB0251). […]
Show full quote
RedSarg99 wrote on 2026-05-13, 08:05:

Would a standard IDE 40 pin cable suffice to hook it onto the audigy card?

Yes, I can confirm that this cable will work with Audigy2/2ZS and X-Fi I/O Drive panel (SB0251).

As for Audigy1, it's not compatible with Audigy2/2ZS/X-Fi panels due to the difference in pinouts:
Re: Different versions of Live Drive?

Thanks

I'll double check which card is in my w98 PC build.

Reply 3 of 5, by ott

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Don't forget to check the 1 pin on IDE ribbon cable (red stripe), it should match on both devices (1st pin marked with heart symbol)

Reply 4 of 5, by RedSarg99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
ott wrote on 2026-05-13, 10:41:

Don't forget to check the 1 pin on IDE ribbon cable (red stripe), it should match on both devices (1st pin marked with heart symbol)

Annoyingly my audigy 2 card is for the ex variant and hasn't got the header.
We are sure the pin layout for audigy 1 and the xfi panel are not directly compatible? (Here's hoping)

Reply 5 of 5, by ott

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
RedSarg99 wrote on 2026-05-13, 15:44:

We are sure the pin layout for audigy 1 and the xfi panel are not directly compatible? (Here's hoping)

Since X-Fi panel (SB0251) is identical to Audigy2/2ZS panel (SB0250) except for the missing Firewire, this has already been discussed in the same thread:
Re: Different versions of Live Drive?

You can use SB0251 panel as headphone DAC with Audigy1, but you'll need to make your own cable, as the pin layout is different.
https://polprog.net/blog/audigy2zs/