VOGONS


First post, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hello,

i've got a of these drives.
Both show exactly 381 reallocated sectors via S.M.A.R.T.
I think i can't trust the values there.

Did anyone experience similar behavior with old ide drives?
The drives do support smart, but either the value is from factory and the drives are both 100% healthy or something doesn't compare to the datasheet.

Kind regards

Reply 1 of 3, by kotel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If a surface scan with mhdd doesn't report any extremely slow sectors in some parts of the drive, then it's likely just a early smart artifact or a bug.

I couldn't save them, but that doesn't mean I can't save myself!
Ready yourself!

Reply 2 of 3, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Surfacescan is fine, but reallocated sectors don't show up in such scans.
You may hear a click on sequential scan if there's one, but that's barely noticeable and could also result from factory defects.
Ok, I put it under "strangeness" and look at the drives as good.

I have a fable for this particular model. Was my first drive >1GB i bought new.
Also, the PCB looks funny.

Reply 3 of 3, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not surface scan. MHDD shows you timing of every verified sector. Spare sectors are usually at the back in the slowest portion of the drive. Reallocation forces drive to move the head to the back, read that remapped sector and then move head back o where it was originally reading - this shows as spike in latency.
MHDD shows you nice stats in the upper right

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MHDD_ … .6_Scanning.jpg

Above 100ms are usually the suspicious reads.
Another option is hdd speed test programs drawing a graph - those will show sudden very brief speed drops.

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly