VOGONS


First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Must be missing something here. Using a newer case with USB 2.0 front panel connectors. The motherboards header does not have the "key pin". The manual is of little use (no pin layout description).

I decided to just cave man it, rotating the plug 180 both ways, windows (XP) just gives me an unknown device when plugging in a flash drive.

Rear ports work and the USB 2.0 card I added works fine. Would like to have the front panel connectors. Is it possible some pins are swapped? Best I can tell the onboard USB is NOT 2.0 but, 1.1.

Reply 1 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Private_Ops wrote on 2026-07-03, 20:29:

Must be missing something here. Using a newer case with USB 2.0 front panel connectors. The motherboards header does not have the "key pin". The manual is of little use (no pin layout description).

I decided to just cave man it, rotating the plug 180 both ways, windows (XP) just gives me an unknown device when plugging in a flash drive.

Rear ports work and the USB 2.0 card I added works fine. Would like to have the front panel connectors. Is it possible some pins are swapped? Best I can tell the onboard USB is NOT 2.0 but, 1.1.

Likely one of these (from Amptron web archive)... https://web.archive.org/web/20070623160549/ht … dusbmodule.html

Reply 2 of 2, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2026-07-04, 03:03:
Private_Ops wrote on 2026-07-03, 20:29:

Must be missing something here. Using a newer case with USB 2.0 front panel connectors. The motherboards header does not have the "key pin". The manual is of little use (no pin layout description).

I decided to just cave man it, rotating the plug 180 both ways, windows (XP) just gives me an unknown device when plugging in a flash drive.

Rear ports work and the USB 2.0 card I added works fine. Would like to have the front panel connectors. Is it possible some pins are swapped? Best I can tell the onboard USB is NOT 2.0 but, 1.1.

Likely one of these (from Amptron web archive)... https://web.archive.org/web/20070623160549/ht … dusbmodule.html

Thank you!

I had broken out the multi meter and figured out which was ground and 5v (oddly, flipped per side of the header). Just couldn't figure out the data lines. "Layout 1" was a match. Working at 1.1 speeds, which is fine I just wanted them functional.