VOGONS


First post, by ZilogZ80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi folks,

I am pulling my hair out over a Sapphire Radeon X1950 PRO 512 MB AGP and Shuttle FB61 V3 (sb61g2 v3) combo. The system posts to a black screen and the CPU fans spin at full speed. Other AGP cards work fine in the Shuttle and I've replaced the PSU. I've done basic troubleshooting like changing AGP aperture as well. The Shuttle BIOS doesn't expose AGP Fast Writes, sideband addressing, or AGP 4/8 so I can't troubleshoot further without modding the BIOS.

I don't think the Rialto Bridge is dead either as the card works fine on my other PC. Given the post sequence fails so early I'm wondering if it occurs during AGP initialization before the VGA Option ROM is even executed.

Has anyone seen a similar issue on an Award BIOS like this? The X1950 Pro AGP seems to have been well tested on other 865G motherboards so I'm curious if the Rialto is being temperamental over a overall chipset limitation.

Best regards

https://global.shuttle.com/products/productsD … 20V3&c=xpc-cube
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphir … x1950-pro.b7825

Reply 1 of 2, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never seen "fixing RIALTO bridge issues" in BIOS release notes.
In my opinion, it's a hardware issue, albeit a common one.
It seems like these video cards were designed to the upper limits of the specifications, while some manufacturers built their motherboards to the lower limits.
Either because it's cheaper, or because everything worked fine before.

If your BIOS has a 1.5V AGP voltage adjustment, try increasing it to the maximum. This sometimes helps.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 2 of 2, by ZilogZ80

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Probably the case. The BIOS maxes out at 1.65V which sends the machine into a bootloop until I unplug the GPU. Not really sure what to look for in the BIOS ROM either, the bringup is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks so far!