First post, by pjw611
Didn't want to participate in any untoward thread necromancy, but I was referring to this prior thread: PC Chips M912 BIOS update for Am5x86 and Cyrix 5x86
Specifically I have tried a few of the Award BIOS versions (thank you so much, modders! I hope to join you soon in these efforts) to try to get away from the abysmal AMI WinBios issues I was having.
Board: M912 v1.7
CPU: 5x86-P75
Cache: 256k of the real stuff, I installed it myself
RAM: 64 MB EDO
Video: CLVGA524XVL/H R2.0, 2mb
Multi-IO adapters used:
- Generic IDE - CA9302, UMC chipset
- KOU WEI KW-559AH v2.0
Drives: WD Caviars (1210 and 2420)
Symptom:
Regardless of the card used, drive used, cable, slot - any variables I could isolate - the Award BIOS versions can't see the hard drive at all and throw a hard drive failure (80) error. In the BIOS itself, the auto detection utility thinks for a very long time before giving up and returning a 0 size, and manual CHS configuration doesn't change the results.
Putting the OTP chip that my board came with with the old AMI WinBios back in, it's just fine. Sees the disk (manual CHS at least) and lets me access it from DOS.
Anyone else run into this with the Award BIOS, and is there a version beyond the last one linked in that prior thread that might solve the issue?
They never warned me this hobby would be so addictive...
IBM XT to Pentium III
Anything newer's too new for me!