First post, by majestyk
- Rank
- Oldbie
I have one of these nice old ECS mainboards that look quite simple, but here´s one that drives me up the wall.
It came complete with the memory card and you can find it here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ecs-386sx
Here´s a picture of my own 386SX:
Most of the tantalums were shorted and had to be replaced. The BIOS chips were missing so I used the files from Retroweb to flash replacements.
Then the system showed a bad reset error caused by a broken P82C211. It´s reset outputs didn´t correspond with the respective input values. After replacing it, reset is working fine.
But still it won´t start. No output of the POST card, just lit LEDs for the supply voltages and "clock" plus a permanently lit "FRAME" LED.
During further inspection I found two pins of the P82C212 (A20 and DRD) were shorted to ground. So I replaced this chip also. After that - still no starting.
Next I removed the remaining chips (82206 and P82C215) and tested them in a mainboard with the same chipset with sockets. Both were still working so I put them back in.
On most of the data and address lines there´s 5V constantly, the CPU´s INTR input is constantly high, reset is working, all oscillator signals are present.
I also replaced the CPU and tried both with onboard memory and with the memory card.
Any ideas welcome!