VOGONS


First post, by allesclar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Evening all,

I've managed to pick up my first family computer on eBay for cheap.

I installed Windows 98 SE without any issues. The network drivers installed fine, as did the SiS chipset drivers.

However, I'm having problems with the onboard SiS 5598 graphics.

The graphics driver installs successfully, but as soon as I try to change the colour depth from the default setting, Windows immediately throws a BSOD.

So far I've tried:

Several fresh installs of Windows 98 SE.
Different RAM configurations.
Triple-checking all motherboard jumper settings.
SiS graphics driver versions 1.07 (won't install) and 1.13 (installs, but still BSODs when changing colour depth).

The motherboard appears to be similar to a BCMIN5598. The system is running a Cyrix MII-300 with 32 MB RAM (2×16 MB).

Has anyone come across this before, or have any suggestions on what to try next? My next step will probably be to try a dedicated PCI graphics card, but I'd like to get the onboard graphics working if possible.

Thanks!

MSI MS6156/Pentium III 450Mhz/256MB SDR DRAM/GeForce Ti 4200/Sound Blaster PCI 128
Asrock K7S41GX/AMD Athlon XP 2400/512MB DDR DRAM/GeForce 6800/Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Asus P5K/Pentium E6600 2.40GHz/4GB DDR 2 DRAM/GeForce 8800GT/Sound Blaster Audigy 2