VOGONS


First post, by taliz93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Just documenting a card I came across while trying to get a Sony CDU33A-01 back in order. No documentation I've been able to find... old thread with this card documented didn't have good results.

The attachment btc11vo.jpg is no longer available
The attachment btc11vo_back.jpg is no longer available

This can replace a COR333, possibly COR334. It also works if someone, say, stole the Sony-specific sound card out of your computer.
SLCD is typically a 34-pin interface, so I'm not sure why there is a full 40-pin on top. Without a controller IC, I don't think it's capable of ATAPI/IDE. Chips are 74LS244 and 74LS245, plus the PAL. Rear panel RCA jacks for the CD Audio, but only via the top headers. I just route the audio to my soundcard, instead.

Only two jumpers populated: JP3 and JP4. I am not sure of the logic behind address setting. Trial and error gave me the below results, which navigated a conflict I had.
PORT 340 (default)
--------
JP3: 1-2
JP4: 2-3

PORT 320
--------
JP3: 2-3
JP4: 1-2

By default, no IRQ or DMA? Seems it wouldn't have been helpful regardless?
Uses Sony 1.73 drivers (SONY173.ZIP) available from a few places. Setup util seemed pretty good, DOS CDPLAY application included is functional but a little strange. I ended up with the following config lines.

CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRV\SLCD.SYS /D:SONY_000 /B:320 /M:P

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
LH C:\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:SONY_000

Just to note: early Sony CD drives are notorious for leaky SMD caps, and the black plastic encased electrolytic caps. I opened my drive up and three of them were laying on the bottom of the case, corroded off the control board. Even with that addressed, the drive was marginal until I lubed the rails of the laser assembly. Seems good enough for a 2x CD-ROM drive.

-= taliz93 =-
Current system: AST Advantage! Adventure - 486DX2/66 - 256k L2 - 32MB RAM - 1MB CL 5428 - ESS 1868 + X2GS