VOGONS


First post, by Fish3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi all, I have some slot 1 Pentium 3 CPUs with these heatsinks on them:

The attachment images.jpg is no longer available

Does anyone know which retention bracket is supposed to be used with these? The different brackets on a few slot 1 boards I have don't fit this kind of heatsink at all, the arms just bend outwards and look close to snapping off. I've seen posts mentioning these and that they're from some OEM systems but no-one ever seems to mention anything beyond that, unless I missed it.

Last edited by Fish3r on 2026-08-02, 19:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dp/n makes me think it is a dell part though the number doesn't look like a dell number

The wings one the sides of the heatsink make me think they fit and get retained in your typical slot 1 cpu retention bracket that should be fitted on your mainboard around the slot 1 connector.

Like can be seen in this photo https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KLAAAOSwiQpkQ-qK/s-l1600.jpg
or this one https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JyQAAOSwa2piLh38/s-l1600.jpg

scrap that, my memory just reminded me of the correct heatsink for those retainers.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by Fish3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Looks like Dell is actually where these are from, thanks

The attachment dell-optiplex-gx1-nx1-front-62332f5a268ca800184640.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 5c000e5657f19_p1260447.jpg is no longer available

Reply 3 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fish3r wrote on 2026-08-02, 18:31:

Does anyone know which retention bracket is supposed to be used with these? The different brackets on a few slot 1 boards I have don't fit this kind of heatsink at all, the arms just bend outwards and look close to snapping off. I've seen posts mentioning these and that they're from some OEM systems but no-one ever seems to mention anything beyond that, unless I missed it.

This one is sold but you need a SECC 1 bracket like this:
https://tinyurl.com/3b24dpwf
They were common in HP server boards etc.

The attachment PIIbracket.JPG is no longer available

Reply 4 of 7, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No need for a SECC 1 bracket, you just need a flat file and grind those edges off. That's what I did. It's aluminum so tends to stick on the file. Use an old one you don't need.

Pentium III 900E,ECS P6BXT-A+,384MB,GeForce FX 5600, Voodoo 2,Yamaha SM718
Turion 64 MT-40@2.4Ghz,Gigabyte GA-K8NE,2GB,GeForce GTX 275,Audigy 2ZS
Phenom II X4 965,Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3,8GB,GeForce GTX 780
Vishera FX-8370,Asus 990FX,16GB,GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Reply 5 of 7, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2026-08-04, 09:48:
This one is sold but you need a SECC 1 bracket like this: https://tinyurl.com/3b24dpwf They were common in HP server boards etc. […]
Show full quote
Fish3r wrote on 2026-08-02, 18:31:

Does anyone know which retention bracket is supposed to be used with these? The different brackets on a few slot 1 boards I have don't fit this kind of heatsink at all, the arms just bend outwards and look close to snapping off. I've seen posts mentioning these and that they're from some OEM systems but no-one ever seems to mention anything beyond that, unless I missed it.

This one is sold but you need a SECC 1 bracket like this:
https://tinyurl.com/3b24dpwf
They were common in HP server boards etc.

The attachment PIIbracket.JPG is no longer available

The cooler is Dell, from a GX1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226741964260?chn=p … ction=view_item

Last edited by ElectroSoldier on 2026-08-04, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To the OP.
In all honesty I wouldnt bother lookinig for it, you are chasing a unicorn down a rabbit hole with that one, the brackets come in three parts and sometimes 4, there is of course the bracket itself, which can come as a single piece or two arms then the real problem is the two small retention blocks that lock the cooler into place. Those two blocks are the real problem these days. Theyre like hens teeth to find as they came off with the CPU but they were part of the bracket and went with the CPU until they fell off, got lost and then you started looking for them nearly 20 years later.

Reply 7 of 7, by Fish3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2026-08-04, 15:45:

To the OP.
In all honesty I wouldnt bother lookinig for it, you are chasing a unicorn down a rabbit hole with that one, the brackets come in three parts and sometimes 4, there is of course the bracket itself, which can come as a single piece or two arms then the real problem is the two small retention blocks that lock the cooler into place. Those two blocks are the real problem these days. Theyre like hens teeth to find as they came off with the CPU but they were part of the bracket and went with the CPU until they fell off, got lost and then you started looking for them nearly 20 years later.

Yes I get the impression that it'd be a waste of time to try and track down loose ones and I don't really have much interest in buying an old Dell. I should be able to cut out some larger holes in one of the brackets I have for the tabs on the heatsink to sit in.