VOGONS


First post, by The Fritz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an ASUS P/I-P55TP4 Rev. 1.21 motherboard which is missing four electrolytic capacitors at positions CE1, CE2, CE3 and CE4, near the CPU socket / CPU power section.

The capacitors were already missing when I got the board, so unfortunately I don't know their original values.

I have another, later revision of the board where rather large capacitors (around 1000 µF) are used in the CPU area, but since the PCB revision and power circuitry are different, I don't want to assume that the same values were used on Rev. 1.21.

I've seen suggestions ranging from approximately 47–100 µF to much larger values, but so far I haven't found any reliable documentation confirming what ASUS originally installed at CE1–CE4.

Does anyone here own an ASUS P/I-P55TP4 Rev. 1.21 with these capacitors still present?

If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could check the capacitance and voltage ratings of CE1, CE2, CE3 and CE4, or post a close-up photo of this area of the board.

I'm specifically interested in the original factory values, rather than an estimate of what would probably work electrically.

I will attach close-up photos of my board showing the four empty capacitor positions.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Earliest revision I've got is 2.03 and everything around the CPU socket is 1000uF 6.3V 105C rated, got 3 boards, one has green Sanyo, one has brown LZF and the other has black something or other with funny symbol might be CS overlaid. Two capacitor pads are unpopulated but I can't tell what they correlate to on the 1.21 revision and none of the caps seem to be marked on PCB unless it's in the footprint underneath the ones that are actually populated.

Anyway, may not be of much use because this revision got rejigged around a lot for the pipeline burst slot, so not very similar.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.