VOGONS


First post, by unlokia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello! 😀

I have an old Compaq Presarion 1110, with "ALi" M5229 C4 IDE controller. I purchased an m.2 -to-IDE caddy/adapter (specifically: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z67GX6W?ref=pp … asin_title&th=1), and also a Transcend m.2 (2280) SATA ssd (specifically https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076YLXF62?ref=pp … _fed_asin_title)

Stock, the adapter is only seen as UDMA2 compatible, and no matter what I do with

sudo hdparm -X <UDMA_MODE_3/4/5> /dev/hda

, it will not stick (confirmed with

sudo hdparm -t /dev/hda

,

sudo hdparm -I /dev/hda

and

sudo hdparm -i /dev/hda

I ran a VERY fine wire from pin 34 'PDIAG#" to ground, and the BIOS now sees it as "UDMA 5" in the "[Auto]" setting, but tests (and

sudo hdparm -X  udma5 /dev/hda

or

sudo hdparm -X  udma4 /dev/hda

DO NOT stick. I am new to these IDE/ATA pins and commands, but technically very well experienced, in software and electronics.

I am at a loss, if someone could suggest what to do next?

Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by unlokia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

In Linux, I managed to get it up to UDMA5, by adding:

libata.force=80c

... to my kernel parameters.