VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can someone give me a good list of dosgames that are runable with xp and a descent dos video card without dosbox. I have vesa support.
I have a 1.3 ghz machine. I want a huge list of games that will run without dosbox,moslo,vdm or scummvm. I don't want to have to use excel.

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Almost anything that has throttling, doesn't support sound cards and doesn't have high frequency pc speaker sound.

It's still an unstable risk to even play those, however as ntvdm is a big hack.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, my list used to compare NTVDM compatibility between different Windows releases but I moved over to DosBox long ago.

You might ask dvwjr, he's done alot of testing in that area but I do not know if he maintains a list.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a newer nVIDIA card you may be out of luck. It seems no ms-dos video modes will work. Your best bet is use DOSBox. Forget about lousy NTVDM ms-dos support.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to use the NTVDM anymore. NTVDM with VDMS was good to have when DOSBox wasn't as good as it has become.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then if they have such old PCs that can't handle more demanding games in DOSBox it's old enough to dual boot with 98 and have real DOS to play these games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 11, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, not really. I still have such a PC (Laptop 2 years old) with Windows XP installed.
System Shock in higher resolutions is still way better playable with VDM Sound than with Dosbox.

Reply 10 of 11, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is no znes 😮

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website