VOGONS

Black screen in Crusader: No Remorse

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ShaggyMoose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using DOSBox 0.7 with a Centrino Duo and an Nvidia 7300 Go under Windows XP.

I copied the CD to disk and installed the game with no problems (full install). I mounted both the CD image and the install directory. The game starts fine with perfect audio and video playback. However, when the game proper starts, all I see is a the HUD; the rest of the screen is black. The game is running and I can hear the sound, but can see nothing but the ammo and health counts.

Someone else had the same problem a few years back, but no one posted the solution... Can anyone help?

Reply 1 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please tell us what you mount exactly, where the game was installed to on your hard drive.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

please tell us your exact mount commands. Also please, either make an image of the original CD and mount that or mount the original CD. This way you eliminate a possible source of problems. If you don't have the original but the butchered version from one of those abandonware sites, you are on your own. Crusader IS picky and doesn't like to be butchered.

In c:\games\crusader in which directory did you install remorse? (c:\games\crusader\remorse ?) If you don't have it in a sub directory, please install it to one. Fresh install, not just moving the stuff.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 15, by ShaggyMoose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount C "C:\Games\Crusader" -ioctl
mount D "C:\Games\CrusaderCD" -ioctl

The mount commands were supplied by D-Fend. The CD is from Origin´s hits range, version v1.21. Its not a hacked copy.

I will try mounting the original CD and a re-install tomorrow.

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, definitely loose the -ioctl for mounted directories. really doesn't help.
I recommend
mount C "C:\Games\Crusader"
mount D D:\ -t cdrom -ioctl (I just assumed your CD-Rom drive is at d:\, enter the real drive letter of your CD-Rom but keep it mounted as D)
Then install to a folder of your mounted C.
Good luck 😀

Reply 6 of 15, by Tresp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have same problem with No remorse. No regret is working fine with same settings.Pc is AMD 3000 with Radeon 9800 128mb, 1Gb ram,dosbox 0.70
I tried it on another PC, both games work but there is another problem,they are playable only in window.When set to fullscreen the picture is too big for screen and HUD is not visible.Pc is AMD 3800 Nvidia Geforce7300GT 256mb,1,5Gb ram dosbox0.70

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    6.78 KiB
    Downloads
    215 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 15, by ShaggyMoose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, fixed it!

As suggested by Dominus, I mounted the original CD and re-installed from there. After checking that this worked, I then switched the mount for D back to the directory containing the CD files on C drive and the game still worked! I tried surface and D3D rendering with no issues.

Unfortunately, I can´t offer an explanation for the problem, since the installed files and the config are still exactly the same as before. Hopefully this will help Tresp (assuming he has the CD).

Reply 8 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The only explanation is the one I already gave

Crusader IS picky and doesn't like to be butchered.

😀
No, seriously, it is a pain in the... I'm glad it's working now for you.

Reply 11 of 15, by kajagoogoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I have the crusader no remorse original CD. I am very keen to get it working. Am running windows XP. I am struggling to follow the various bits of advice. I have downloaded DOSbox and Dfend. I don't really understand the "mount" business but have followed some instructions and the command prompt confirms that i have mounted the drive. But I don't know what to do next. I am not a techie (by a long way)

Does anyone have the patience to walk/talk me through this. I would be extremely grateful.

Ken

Reply 12 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Which part of my little 60 seconds guide don't you understand?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

We don't need that. *** LOCKED ***

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions