VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone have the Carmageddon 3dfx patch that installs CARMAV.EXE. The one I put up at http://download.glidos.net installs VOODO2C.EXE, and isn't the one I originally set up Glidos to support.

I'm messing aroung trying to get VDos32 to support the game, so it would be handy to have both patches.

Reply 5 of 11, by ktorpil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to run this by double clicking Hires.exe fine. After installing the patch and clicking Carmav.exe the game ui flickers terribly. Now Hires and Carma.exe crash too.

Oh btw I'm running the game on native DOS (Win98SE)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HPNQzy

Reply 6 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ktorpil wrote:

I used to run this by double clicking Hires.exe fine. After installing the patch and clicking Carmav.exe the game ui flickers terribly. Now Hires and Carma.exe crash too.

GliDOS General is probably not the right forum for getting help on running the game in that way. Certainly I can't think of anything that might help.

Reply 7 of 11, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a bit confused: I found 3 different .exe versions (different CRCs)

"voodo2c.exe": This is for systems with Voodoo2 card built in
"3dfx.exe": this was included in my carmageddon cdrom
"carmav.exe": installed via patch

Don't know the difference between the 2 latest...

Reply 8 of 11, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Myloch wrote:
I'm a bit confused: I found 3 different .exe versions (different CRCs) […]
Show full quote

I'm a bit confused: I found 3 different .exe versions (different CRCs)

"voodo2c.exe": This is for systems with Voodoo2 card built in
"3dfx.exe": this was included in my carmageddon cdrom
"carmav.exe": installed via patch

Don't know the difference between the 2 latest...

Which version of Carmageddon do you own?

Reply 9 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really know the difference between the versions. voodo2x.exe and carmav.exe are the ones I've seen work with Glidos. And if I remember rightly, carmav.exe checks for the CD being present, whereas voodoo2c.exe doesn't

Reply 10 of 11, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I don't really know the difference between the versions. voodo2x.exe and carmav.exe are the ones I've seen work with Glidos. And if I remember rightly, carmav.exe checks for the CD being present, whereas voodoo2c.exe doesn't

There shouldn't be any as far as functionality and performance is concerned. voodo2x.exe is essentially carmav.exe (or 3dfx.exe, depending on the distribution) modified to optionally support Voodoo2 cards. It was programmed by a member of Stainless Software in his own spare time as a side project therefore you couldn't get support from the company.

It was successfully tested with Carmageddon UK (Zombie), Carmageddon UK Maxpack, Carmageddon UK Special Edition, Carmageddon US (Human Peds) and Splatpack UK, but I can confirm it works wonders for Carmageddon US Maxpack as well.

Presumably the reason it doesn't require the CD to be in the drive must be the complications that would have resulted from retaining the CD protection for all those versions. Guess he removed it altogether.

Reply 11 of 11, by Codename_Falcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ktorpil wrote:

Ktorpil you can eliminate the flashing by adding -vrush to the command line when you run 3dfx.exe or carmav.exe.