VOGONS

SB Pro 2 Amplifier Disable

Topic actions

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Am I correct to assume there is no jumper on the card that can do this? If I cut a pin on the amplifier IC, can I do what I need to do?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1 of 23, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excuse me for being a newb and a fool... but why would you want to do this? Is that one of the cards that has a powered out.. i.e. can plug speakers into? Is there no line out?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 2 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I can tell there is no unamplified line out. Just speaker out, mic in, line in.

Reply 5 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, in its unmodified form I think there is no way to disable the amp. However, I am pretty certain that if you cut the power pin on that 3-pin transistor you can disabling the amplification of the speaker out. I'm just wondering if anyone had a better way before I gave it a try.

...never mind, that's a voltage regulator. I'll examine the card and compare to the SB16 and see if I can come up with anything. The amplifier must in one of the ICs.

Reply 7 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The old Craptec speakers, eh?

I think I'll have to pass on that. It appears that there is likely a way to disable the amp through undocumented jumper "J2". It's actually labelled "AUDIO_PWD" which makes it even more suspicious.

I just find it hard to believe that both SB 2.0 and SB16 can disable the amp, but SB Pro 2.0 cannot.

Anyway, if all fails I have identified the amplifier IC, downloaded the datasheet, and will find a way to properly disable it.

Reply 8 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made an attempt at disabling the amp today, and was *partly* successful. What I did was cut the power pin on the ST TEA2025B amplifier chip on the SB Pro. Unfortunately I no longer seem to be getting any sound, or it's just so quiet I can't hear it. It doesn't seem like a very viable solution to the problem. Has anyone yet performed a successful operation?

Reply 10 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My card is exactly like this:

ct1600_1991_1.jpg

Reply 12 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Better idea - the signal is at the volume potentiometer. You should get something similar to line out at the two yellow circles. You could remove the jumpers for speaker out and solder two wires from them to the yellow points.

Attachments

• sbpro.png
    Filename
    sbpro.png
    File size
    180.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 13 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for all your help. I'll try it out and see what happens.

Reply 14 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm...I tapped into the two points in yellow that you suggested (and connected them to pins 7 and 8 on the AUDIO_PWD header (removing the jumpers), and I didn't hear anything at all.

Have you ever performed this mod before? Are you certain that the audio signals go directly into the potentiometer? It would seem to me that the potentiometer is more than likely integrated into the amplifier circuit to adjust the gain.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/SGS … ics/mXuruyy.pdf

This is a PDF of the amplifier chip.

Perhaps by examining the amplifier on/off jumpers on an SB16, we can determine how to build a similar circuit for the SB Pro.

Reply 15 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well I only have this Aztech clone. Uses the same amplifier chip (the noise of this card can be reduced quite a bit by adding a metal shield at the back side). It would be very unusual if the signal did not go directly into the potentiometer.

Have you measured which of the pins go to the output connector? 5 and 6 or 7 and 8?

1+1=10

Reply 16 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar issue with an ISA soundcard based on a Crystal cs4237B Chipset. It only had amplified output. The only thing I could do was finding out where the unamplified lines-out left the chip and how they went to the amplifier, then cut their connection to the amplifier entirely. after that reroute the lines-out to an unused jackplug socket but put a capacitor in these lines. cannot recall the rating of the caps now.

But why don't you use a Yamaha OPL3-Sax card instead, I think it makes a great SBPro-2 replacement.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 17 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which OPL3-SAx card is best? I once had a waveforce PCI card, and the noise was quite terrible.

Reply 18 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Which OPL3-SAx card is best?

Anything Yamaha OPL3SA3 [YMF715/718/719], which is an ISA chipset of course. See my review at the bottom of this topic: The Yamaha OPL YMF718-S chipset

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I once had a waveforce PCI card, and the noise was quite terrible.

That is an YMF724 chipset, why would it be noisy?, it uses a Sigmatel DAC.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 19 of 23, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

Excuse me for being a newb and a fool... but why would you want to do this? Is that one of the cards that has a powered out.. i.e. can plug speakers into? Is there no line out?

I must confess that I don't understand the principal gist of this topic. Is this the fundamental problem: that nearly all modern desktop multimedia speakers are amplified. And if you plug a pair of them in to the speaker port on a CT1600, this will produce bad quality sound, because the CT1600's speaker output is also amplified.

So, I guess an old pair of "Craptecs" didn't have a built-in amplifier. I wonder if there are any modern desktop speakers available that allow you to switch off their internal amp?