VOGONS

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figured this has long been known but a google site search of vogons didn't come up with any hits.

Trixter wrote a CGA test program: http://www.oldskool.org/pc/cgacomp

Running cvs set to cga, errors I've seen are:
Under color select register, border/overscan color select doesn't show a border.

Under textmode cursor control, top-and-bottom dual line cursor and strikethrough cursor don't show anything. The video shows what should be displayed.

Under m6845 compatibility,
vertical retrace, not a bug as it says it's in margin, just slightly off at 59.94 Hz instead of 60.
textmode reprogramming, second screen it looks like some pixels/characters are out of position, though I don't know for sure as the video of the test on real hardware is version 0.4 which doesn't appear to have this test to compare.

Reply 2 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I showed four png screenshots taken from cvs (the ones that are not on video: both "textmode reprogramming" screens and both "start address reprogramming" scrollings) to Trixter and he said they all are OK.

Reply 4 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

boarder is discussed here: VIDEO - Overscan border (SDL1)

In dosbox there are also no:
- snow effect
- interlaced video mode
Horizontal retrace detect is not done properly.

Although you will have to find a game that suffers from it first 😉

Trixter said Bob Winner uses Display Positioning for scrolling the screen although the game seems to work properly in dosbox (although the scrolling seems not to be perfect (simmilar to super zaxon a bit) but it is the same on ega and vga and on real hardware too)

Reply 7 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

According to Trixter, interlaced video modes on CGA hardware is broken, and why no programs have ever used it, so that can be ignored.

it works on the video. And you cannot tell that no program ever used it, if you haven't checked all the programs 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just relaying what Trixter wrote. Displaying isn''t the problem, it displays, it just doesn't interlace, the lines are overlapped, done together, or other, I forget the description exactly.

Reply 10 of 11, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trixter and I figured this out a while ago by looking at the CGA schematics. Interlaced mode works by making an odd number of half-scanlines per field and is theoretically supported by the 6845. However, the IBM CGA hardware manipulates the horizontal and vertical sync pulses that come out of the 6845 (in order to add the color burst signals) and synchronizes the vsync pulses to the hsync pulses, so while the interlaced mode does *something* on a genuine IBM CGA, it isn't particularly useful. You get the even scanlines in the even fields and the odd scanlines in the odd fields but the scanlines appear in the same places on the screen in both sets of fields.

Apparently a 400-line interlaced mode was possible on the AT&T 6300 though so presumably there is some software out there somewhere that was written for that card which does interlacing. There's some more information about this at http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ?t=13722&page=6 (posts 54-65).