VOGONS

A gallery of strange sound devices

Topic actions

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I cleaned up my collection of old hardware, I stumbled over some parts I really had forgotten for years. Most of them are strange sound devices, I just acquired because I'd never seen such a card before. So it comes to my mind to post a few pics of my findings, one after another...

But I suggest many members of this forum have some uncommon soundcards, so feel free to post your favorite curiosity!

First one today is a soundcard from Ati - the ati stereo f/x - see picture below - seems to be a Soundblaster clone. It even has the SAA sockets to be Gameblaster compatible.

Has anyone else this card? To be honest, I never tested the card, but I found this article, which says it can simulate stereo when playing soundblaster mono files: http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue15 … _the_future.php

ati_stereo_fx_small.jpg

The next one is the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 - "The only soundcard that supports 5 sound standards!" - as it was advertised.
WSS, Adlib and Soundblaster Pro were supported by many consumer cards but this one is also able to emulate a Covox Speech Thing and the Disney Sound Source. Don't ask me how it is done - I remember you had to change some jumper settings - especially the "virtual parallel port jumper".
Aztech produced many similar cards with almost identic names ("Soundgalaxy 16 II"; "Soundgalaxy Pro"..) but afaik only this one has this feature.
It also offers a true opl3 and a wavetable header (who only worked in Win3.1 not in DOS - I suppose due to the lack of a real MPU-401 interface).

soundgalaxynxpro16.jpg

PS: I also found the manual. In the introduction you can read:
"So read on and you will soon discover why the Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 is the only soundcard you will ever need."

And here are the last ones for today - those are also the last soundcards produced under the brand Adlib - the ASB64 4D and the MSC16 pnp (well I think there was also a MSC32). In fact it seems as if it is only the brand name - I've heard somewhere that the name "Adlib" was bought by some german-asian company that continued to produce soundcards under that name for a few years. So you will find no true opl on those cards - instead the chipset is crystal / dream based.
BTW - as you can see I tried to clean the very dusty ASB64 a little bit, but it's still dirty. I used contact cleaner and a cotton bud. Has anyone a better idea to do this without harming the card?

adlib_asb64_msc16.jpg

Edit: I found an archived review of the ASB 64 here:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/2/ … wave-pro-4d-ide

Attachments

• Filename
    Adlib_ASB64_MSC16.JPG
    File size
    48.05 KiB
    Downloads
    456 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    SoundgalaxyNXPro16.JPG
    File size
    47.9 KiB
    Downloads
    454 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    ati_stereo_fx_small.JPG
    File size
    73.38 KiB
    Downloads
    446 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 60, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great Collection, Cloudschatze! This Audiotrix Pro makes me envious - and reminds me of another curious card:

The "Toptek Golden Sound Pro 16 Plus" (what a name!) - it has a somehow similar design: you'll find the Yamaha OPL4, the Yamaha effects processor (the green daughterboard), the Crystal CS4231 codec. But it lacks the microcontroller, instead there are lots and lots of jumpers and a second daughter board (right) with Topteks DSP and - even stranger - a small IC that should provide "surround sound" (but only becomes hot).
To cut a long story short - I never got this thing runnig properly. I also fear that you can't use the OPL4 for GM in DOS (only Win3.1.).

golden_sound_16plus.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Golden_Sound_16Plus.JPG
    File size
    47.27 KiB
    Downloads
    422 downloads
    File license

Reply 3 of 60, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a Yamaha SW20-PC soundcard. It's not as "exotic" and rare as some of the interesting soundcards already mentioned in this thread. I think this sound card is "speed sensitive". What I mean is that it won't function correctly if you put it in a machine that is faster than a Pentium 1, for example.

Attachments

• sw20pc.jpg
    Filename
    sw20pc.jpg
    File size
    82.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 60, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, the SW20-PC. I got mine when it was brand new, and worked fine until pentiumII mobos, AFAIK some of it's DSP addresses are used in newer mobos...
The SW20-PC has an onboard FULLY programmable dsp, that can alter sound in real time, and it works in both windows and dos. There is a graphic app in windowsa that lets you choose dsp type+settings, and you save .kps (IIRC) files with the config. Dos gets a prog to upload such files to the DSP.
It had some demo app too , that you spoke to a microphone and your voice came out altered, there where "alien", "children" , "old-man" etc presets 🤣
It has an OPL4 + 2MB ROM , and 128kb of SRAM to upload user samples...
and all that worked without any cpu load in a 386xs/20 😀

Also regarding the ATI stereo/FX... I happen to have it's bigger brother, the "ATI VGA STEREO/FX" , a full length ISA 16bit card that is a combo of VGA + SOUND card! It would be a great slot saver in 386 machines with 2-3 ISA slots, but it's ATI 28000 (IIRC?) chip has some lame bug that makes jerky scrolling in games like Commander Keen etc...

Reply 5 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SW20 has an atrocious signal-to-noise ratio, primarily due its "Karaoke Processor" DSP. Depending on which DSP mode/algorithm is in use (including the default initialization settings), the YSS205B generates absurd, and varying, amounts of noise. Tragically, because all of the audio on the entire card is routed through this chip, bypassing or disabling it isn't an option.

(I did find a way to substantially lessen the noise, by creating a "dry" EffectGear file (Mode 3) that loads at boot with the KPLOAD utility. This, however, defeats the entire purpose of even having the effects chip, which is about the only interesting thing the SW20 offers, in my opinion.)

Reply 7 of 60, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How exactly does the Stereo FX simulate stereo if it's an SB (not SB Pro ) clone?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

How exactly does the Stereo FX simulate stereo if it's an SB (not SB Pro ) clone?

If this is at all similar to the "Stereo Enhance" feature of the Pro AudioSpectrum(16) cards, then:

"This is a feature of your sound card that makes all sounds being played more rich and full. It does this by phase shifting the left and right channels by a small degree. The result is a "spatial separation" that makes mono sounds seem to be stereo, and stereo sounds to be more dynamic."

Not a wholly uncommon effect for that timeframe - the Ad Lib Gold also provides similar features (via the TDA8425).

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2010-01-09, 18:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 60, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding the SW20 - there were many other cards that used Yamaha's OPL4. But many had also the disadvantage that you couldn't use the GM synth in dos. Like this one:

mozart_wavetablesoundcard.jpg

The one I found that finally worked (with the OPL4 as GM synth in dos) was the Mirosound PCM12. But I had some difficuties with its SBPro compability - first, sound quality was very bad, then, on a second install it was okay - I don't know why (@Cloudschatze: Maybe the same effect you mentioned for the SW20?)
Otherwise a good card: GM, SBPro, WSS and "true" Adlib compability - and an additional Wavetableheader!

mirosound_pcm12.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Mozart_Wavetablesoundcard.JPG
    File size
    35.81 KiB
    Downloads
    425 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Mirosound_PCM12.JPG
    File size
    47.31 KiB
    Downloads
    414 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silent Loon wrote:

...there were many other cards that used Yamaha's OPL4. But many had also the disadvantage that you couldn't use the GM synth in dos.

I wonder if these cards need a driver, or some sort of utility, to enable the OPL4 wavetable playback. (For example, the SW20 requires the use of both a TSR and a secondary utility to do this.)

(@Cloudschatze: Maybe the same effect you mentioned for the SW20?)

No amount of re-installing can cure the SW20's problem, I'm afraid. I'd be curious to know if the SW60XG is similarly affected, given that it has the same effects chip...

Reply 13 of 60, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here are some pics of the ATI VGA STEREO/FX card... there is a jumper in the middle to enable/disable the sound portion of the card, and in the backplate the vga-out port, the joystick port in the middle that needs an adaptor , and the sound in/out port in the right that needs ANOTHER adaptor ... bah

IMG00062-20100112-0834.jpg

IMG00063-20100112-0834.jpg

IMG00064-20100112-0834.jpg

IMG00065-20100112-0834.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here are some pics of the ATI VGA STEREO/FX card... there is a jumper in the middle to enable/disable the sound portion of the card, and in the backplate the vga-out port, the joystick port in the middle that needs an adaptor , and the sound in/out port in the right that needs ANOTHER adaptor ... bah

I wonder who put that blue heatsink on the card? 😁

I've seen them before 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 15 of 60, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that bugger was TOO hot inside my A4000D :p
one other ineresting thing I remember about it, is that the card uses almost NO initialization progs: it has it's own "bios" thing, you run a prog to access it, and save the configuration in it's flashrom! IRQ/DMA/etc are hard-coded then... never saw that in another card

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 60, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

one other ineresting thing I remember about it, is that the card uses almost NO initialization progs: it has it's own "bios" thing, you run a prog to access it, and save the configuration in it's flashrom! IRQ/DMA/etc are hard-coded then... never saw that in another card

Cool, almost like the Gus PnP then

Or the AWE32.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 17 of 60, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
keropi wrote:

Cool, almost like the Gus PnP then

Or the AWE32.

Or, better yet, the Ad Lib Gold, which (unlike the other two) stores its configuration in EEPROM. 😉

Reply 18 of 60, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own also one of those Mozart WaveTable cards. I really would like if such a TSR for DOS exists that makes the OPL4 GM compatible (at least in real mode).
On the other hand I haven't tested the OPL4 driver behaviour in Win9x. Maybe it does GM Emulation in a DOS-windows like the AWE32 driver does?
In Win 3.x it is Windows only.

@Silent Loon:
Could you read the chip notation on the ASB64 please?
I would like to know which solution was used. It looks like a combination of the Crystal Effect and Wavetable DSP (maybe the 9203 / 8933 ?!?). And what is the name of the ROM Soundfont? Is it GMS960400 ?

Reply 19 of 60, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its a 9233 / 8905 combination. ROM has no GMS number but Crystal ones instead: 4111-CS and 4110-CS (followed by long "T" numbers, but I think that's not the one your're looking for).

This chipset looks pretty similar to a Terratec Maestro 32/96 card (and even sounds so), but has a weird "3d"-feature, that seems to be unique.

BTW - that some cards can't use the OPL4's GM capabilities (in dos) seems to be a problem of the codec chip and / or MPU-401 interface that it used on the card.