VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My girlfriend has this old PII machine lying around. I pulled it out, found the manual for it, and noticed it has a ViBRA 16XV VLSI onboard. The manual spouts on every few pages about onboard Creative 3D sound.

I've never heard of this chipset. I did some googling, found a bunch of forum posts all over the place but still don't quite know where this slots into the great scheme of things.

From what I can tell it's a SB16-series chipset, cost reduced and used for integrated sound on certain stand alone boards and mobos.

Can someone shed some light on the chip and where it stands?

The mobo in question is a Create LXe-AT. The manual for it can be found here: http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/150/pii_0140.pdf

Reply 1 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

scroll down to
Sound Blaster "ViBRA" CT25xx series VLSI ASIC overview:

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?action= … ge;topic=2175.0

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, it's a cut-down, integrated version of the SB16. Generally speaking, they have a bit cleaner sound than the older SB16s, but most versions lack things like the OPL3, so they're not as good for games as a 'real' SB16. I don't know much about the XV version specifically, but I'd say it falls in the lower-end of the spectrum of sound cards... generally usable, but not great and not particularly desirable.

Reply 3 of 6, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that was one of the pages I'd found on my first google run. Lots of information there. Now I just need to figure out how to find out exactly which version I have in here so I can figure out whether I want to use it or find another isa card.

Reply 4 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, looking at specs and discussions will only do so much... I'd recommend you just try it, and see what you personally think of it... and that includes the sound quality, the setup process, everything. Sound cards tend to be pretty subjective anyway. If it turns out you're dissatisfied with some aspect of it, you can always go back and add a card later on.

Reply 5 of 6, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got an CT2980 with the (Vibra) CT2502-SDQ chip. The card was not noisy, sounded decent but had the Hexen bug. DSP is 4.13. No OPL3 visible.

According to link above, best S/N ratio of the SB16 ilk. Too bad.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.