VOGONS

My pool ...

Topic actions

First post, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Desktop: AMD64 X2 6k+, 2GB RAM (not enough right now), on an Asus MSNPV-VM with onboard nvidia chip and hd-audio chip, 27" widescreen dell 😉, Debian GNU/Linux x86_64

Server: AMD64 X2 4500+ (energy saving model), no graphics or sound, XEN with some Debian VMs and a Windows Server 2008R2 AMD64

C64-I (Breadbox), josytick port 2 somewhat broken, with a C-1541 and C-1084 monitor, the latter repaired after 20 attempts and finally discovering the bad soldering spot 😁, parallel port on the 1541 and home-brewn XEP-1541 cable for connecting to the PC

Amiga 2000 B, with 8088 PC extension board and several harddisks, SCSI-II controller -- power supply broken 🙁

Amiga 500 found on the street, repaired floppy drive mechanics, but power supply is missing....

Reply 1 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zirias wrote:

Amiga 500 found on the street, repaired floppy drive mechanics, but power supply is missing....

I kinda remember that back in the old days it was more common practice to repair floppydrives because they used to be expensive.
I would imagine there was a market back then for skilled technicians with a lot of information about what caused a floppydrive to malfunction, and how to repair it!
Later on floppydrives became so cheap, it was easier to toss the old drives and just buy a new one.

However, with us all collecting old stuff, it will become increasingly interesting to obtain knowledge of repairing our old stuff (myself included).

Not sure why I'm even typing this, for some reason I saw you repaired your own floppydrive and this came to my mind.

Anyway, hope you'll be posting more 😉

Reply 2 of 6, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 1990, I obtained three defective 5.25 drives. I was able to scavenger one and repair two. One I sold, one I kept.

Repairing them is just common sense in 90% of all cases. Same goes for CD/DVD drives.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 4 of 6, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

In 1990, I obtained three defective 5.25 drives. I was able to scavenger one and repair two. One I sold, one I kept.

Repairing them is just common sense in 90% of all cases. Same goes for CD/DVD drives.

I for one, would be most interested in learning how to fix floppy/ CD/ DVD drives. Would a guide be practical? Or is this one of those too hard to do unless you're an expert things?

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

I for one, would be most interested in learning how to fix floppy/ CD/ DVD drives. Would a guide be practical? Or is this one of those too hard to do unless you're an expert things?

That would depend on what exactly is broken.
Fixing the cdrom 'drawer' is real easy many times.

I have one floppy drive 3.5in 2.88M which seem to have a broken motor, can't remember if it's the spindle or the stepper motor. I have however kept a spare unit for parts, just in case I ever came around to try and fix it.
It's exactly the same as the 2.88M unit, except that it's a 1.44M unit. The internal parts should be interchangeable mostly.

Reply 6 of 6, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

Zirias, I do not know you. But it seems like you know your shit, but welcome on board. And I hope you will be a valuable asset to this board.

Thank you 😉 Maybe I could, at least I am interested in coding... I'm just a little unhappy that I can't use any of my Amigas right now because of broken and missing power supply.

If anyone is interested, my current private project is a remake of an AmigaBASIC game. http://sekrit.de/stoneage/