First post, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System is Windows Vista 64 bit

Intel Core2 E7200 @2.53GHz
Intel GMA 3100 with 286 MB available memory, updated to latest drivers
5GB DDR2 RAM

Game is Gunship2000, using Dosbox 0.74; issue is game crash due to DMA segbound error upon game voice saying "Got Primary" when primary objective is achieved. From what little information I've been able to find, this is due to an error when the digital voice comes in. However, as far as I know the various gunner messages (Target left/incoming left, and so on) do not cause a crash. "Got Secondary" also did not cause any crashes when I first played, however I have not tried to duplicate this error with "Got Secondary", only with "Got Primary".

I have come across a few links wherein users claim to fix this bug by switching the game to another sound type (Roland, Speaker, Adlib, ATI, etc). This isn't feasible for me as any sound setting other than Sound Blaster either locks the game up at the main screen, or causes the infamous briefing screen loop that has plagued many users.

My original dosbox config was standard. Based on other fixes I have seen suggested, I have attempted setting core emulation to dynamic; changing sbtype; and disabling EMS support. None of these edits have rectified the issue, and I'm at the limit of searchable information as well as out of my depth in editing Dosbox by myself.

I'm grateful to anyone who can help. I wasted hours playing this game as a kid, and I'd really like to play without resorting to no sound whatsoever.

Reply 1 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Have you tried loadfix? In some cases, the dma wrapping can be reduced or eliminated by changing the load address. I know of a few games where it makes a difference. Try "loadfix" and "loadfix -54" before running the game.

Reply 3 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use smaller amounts, and just experiment as it's not an exact science with this approach. Allocating 32kb doesn't cause an out of memory error when I tried, but only went as far as starting a mission. I guess you're using the Islands & Ice addon, because SB wasn't supported in the earliest version, but are you using the v8.5 patch? (it has even higher conventional memory requirement than unpatched).

Reply 4 of 20, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only version info I can find is in the Setup, which lists version 469.07

Allocating 32kb runs fine except I can't load the map view. 36 and 32 both crash or lock up. I'm thankful for all of your help, but it's really starting to look like this is just one game that can't be run without some sort of issue.

Reply 5 of 20, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, tried it again with 32kb and it runs perfectly. Got primary with no crash, and was able to use map view. I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time around, but no complaints here. Thanks for your help...after hours of googling I was beginning to think I'd never find a fix for this.

Reply 6 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can allocate as little as 1k with loadfix, so start with small amounts. You can download the 8.5 patch from the patches-scrolls site; maybe it will resolve the issue.

Reply 7 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's good that it's working, but strange that it isn't consistent. You do know that the loadfix allocations "stack" within the same session of DOSBox, right? I mean if you do "loadfix -32" twice, that's 64k allocated. If you want to try a different allocation in the same session without stacking you can do "loadfix -f" to free all previous allocations.

Reply 8 of 20, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think its because I did loadfix -32 while I was still in Z:\ the first time it played without the crash. The second, I mounted, went to C:\, then did "loadfix -32 gs2000". Could that explain it?

I did accidentally do what you mentioned before that though, and the 64 total allocation crashed it right off.

Reply 11 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

How are you using the update installer? It asks for the drive and directory of your game installation, so if it's in C:\GS2000 you would enter "C" and "\GS2000" to its two prompts. What is the installer responding with when it doesn't accept your inputs?

Reply 12 of 20, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running the installer through Dosbox, giving it the C:\dos\gunship2000 directory in which I have the game files. I'm inputting the information correctly, but the given error is "Invalid drive and/or directory specified".

Reply 15 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What are your mountings? The game should be installed in something like the real c:\dos\gs2000 folder, and then "mount c c:\dos" in DOSBox. With that setup, the game is installed on C:\GS2000 to programs running inside DOSBox.

Reply 16 of 20, by BudLight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is installed in the real C:\dos\gs2000. The downloaded patch is in the real C:\downloads\gs2v85 folder. I mount the patch folder as the c drive and try to install it to c:\dos\gs2000. I have also tried mounting the game directory as C, like I would if I were going to play; then I mount the patch as D before trying to install. Either way, I'm still getting the same error.

EDIT: Ok, I reread your post and I understand it now. I've always mounted the lowest possible directory when trying to play. The patch is installing now, hopefully I'll get some good results.

Reply 17 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is the "correct" way to mount the drives, simulating installing the patch from a floppy drive:

mount c c:\dos
mount a c:\downloads\gs2v85 -t floppy
a:
install

Then, in the install program, enter "C" for the drive, and "\GS2000" for the directory. Note that the file GS2000.COM must be in the game folder, the installer looks for it.

When you play the game, you should use the same mount for the C drive:

mount c c:\dos
c:
cd gs2000
gs2000

Reply 19 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess you had something for circumventing the GPS code (copy protection) that isn't applicable to the patched version. Well, you can go back to running the unpatched version of the game in DOSBox 0.73, it does not have the error exit for DMA wrapping; but that does not mean you won't get some other kind of problem as a result of the wrapping (from minor, like pops in the audio; to more serious, like crashes).