VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some trouble finding anything in the way of documentation for the DOS version of Castlevania. I thought I recalled that it supported Tandy graphics and/or sound, but it doesn't work off-the-bat in DOSBox. I was figuring there might be a command-line option for this, since IIRC there was one required for it to work with an Adlib, but I can't find anything on any of its command-line options. Does anyone know more about this?

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The command line options are (caps required): ADL, IBM, TDY, HRC. Warez copies on the net are usually incomplete, and lack the TD.DRV file, which is necessary for the Tandy support to work.

Reply 2 of 3, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tracked down a copy of TD.DRV, but while running Castlevania with it does succeed in getting 3-voice Tandy sound working, the graphics don't work, at least not on my 1000TX. It just sits there at the DOS text screen, so it's not even touching video memory; presumably it's doing its work in other pages and then failing to switch them in. Is there some kind of general Tandy graphics driver it may be missing?

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are also three separate main executables for CGA, EGA, and Tandy; but the Tandy graphics look identical to EGA. The original INSTALL.BAT file copies the game files and is therefore a kind of inventory list of them. Sounds like you need an original copy, so I suggest eBay and the like.