VOGONS

First post, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any working to support Direct 3D in Win9x guests in virtual machines, or emulators? I think there are still significant number of Win9x games which will not work well in WinXP.

Reply 2 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VirtualBox has a funny D3D->GL wrapper as a companion to their OpenGL accelleration, but that's for the NT family.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wine...

Reply 4 of 14, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Wine

If you think that Wine will give better support for Win9x D3D applications than WinXP please give a link to this information. I strongly doubt.

Reply 5 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You were asking about emulators or virtual machines supporting direct3d (with windows 9x as host - you can set wine to windows 9x). I answered that.
You never specified the host, nor which games, nor that it has to be better than XP. Please give a link to the games you think that work not well. You can then look them up in wines compatibility database to see whether the games work better or not.
I found ultima 9 to work betterin wine than on windows9x, not so sure about xp, for example...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the best environment for Wine, anyway? I know you can install it in practically any distribution, but it would be swell if there was a tiny version of Linux specifically designed for nothing more than the execution of Wine without requiring all the other constant configuration and re-re-reconfiguration of Linux.

(And of course there's Crossover Games.)

Reply 7 of 14, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I've, for the moment, given up on Virtual Machines because of this very issue.

But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. By the time my old computer breaks down for good, somebody will have figured things out and made a Win9x virtualizer with an eye towards gaming. I give it about five years.

Reply 8 of 14, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, it might be a fun project to make d3d7 (or prior) wrapper that uses opengl for output..

Shouldn't be impossible.

On the other hand, I don't have any games that would require that.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's pretty much what WineD3D does. (I don't think it really helps in a virtual machine, though, because OpenGL isn't available to Win9x clients either.)

By the way, what about SwiftShader? That came up a couple of times and I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Reply 10 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

swiftshader is dx8/9 possibly 7
a q6600 will run ut2004, small level, 1 bot, 1680x1050 at 7fps

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 14, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ut2004 is probably a bit heavier than the games this wrapper would target =)

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

swiftshader is dx8/9 possibly 7
a q6600 will run ut2004, small level, 1 bot, 1680x1050 at 7fps

But since it's a software renderer, the CPU ought to matter much more than the GPU, no?

Reply 13 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes, thats why i did not mention my graphics card only my cpu (nvidia gtx260 btw)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 14 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh dear, is that how they're naming CPUs these days? How confusing! (The first thing I thought of was "Quadro 6600".)