VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please can someone take a photo of the rear socket connection area of the Roland MT-32 (1st and 2nd gen), and also the Roland CM-32L? I have an MT-32 and a CM-32L, but they could be in any one of about 40 unlabelled stacked boxes, in an awkward to reach location. 😦

The thing is, I don't know if my MT-32 is 1st or 2nd gen. But I will know, because I remember testing an MT-32 and also a CM-32L, and remembering that only one or the other (not both) had no stereo headphone socket. If I can see photos, I'll know what generation MT-32 I have, because it will jog my memory. Thanks very much in advance if this is possible! 😀

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-12-13, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MT-32 (Old / 1st gen) is the only unit without the headphone socket. Also ROM version is up to 1.07 (press 4 + RHYTHM + MASTER VOLUME while powering the unit on).

There are images on the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thanks. All I need to know now is - does the CM-32L have a headphone socket at the back? If it does, then I know that my MT-32 is first gen. If it doesn't, then my MT-32 is second gen. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes all the units apart from the MT-32 (Old) do have a headphone socket. So yes, the CM-32L has a headphone port.

The MT-32 (Old) is the only one without one. Always a pain when you quickly want to listen to something 🤣

Reply 5 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome, thanks very much people! 😀 That means I have a 1st gen MT-32! I always thought it was 2nd gen. I guess that's good news then?! Am I covered, for old Roland tunes -

Got: MT-32 1G, CM-32L
Not got: MT-32 2G, LAPC-i

Thanks people. 😀

PS - are MT-32 2G units rarer than MT-32 1G units? I found the 1G units fairly easily, but never a 2G unit with a headphone socket at the back.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes they are rarer, however I wouldn't worry too much about it...

The ones to have is the old one (the one you have) and one of the CM units (CM-32L or CM-64 or LAPC-I).

The old unit is for games that don't sound 100% right on newer units or have clipping issues (Sierra / Dynamix games and Wing Commander).

The CM units have 33 extra sound effects which many games take advantage off.

The MT-32 (New) and also MT-100 (same mainboard as MT-32 (New)) are stuck in the middle. The games mentioned above won't sound 100% right and it doesn't support the 33 sound effects either. Only benefit is that it solved the "buffer overflow issue".

So in a nutshell your MT-32 (Old) and CM-32L is all you will ever need!