VOGONS

Quick ISA GA card roundup

Topic actions

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got some ISA VGA cards recently, so I thought I do a quick roundup. Just like all the hardware sites do it, I decided to use a fast CPU, so that the differences come to light.

CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 233

Benchmark used: 3DBENCH

img0021w.jpg
img0025gb.jpg
img0027vp.jpgimg0035g.jpg

Results:

Trident and Realtek lag behind. The Tseng ET4000 and Diamond Speedstar 24X are significantly faster. The chip on the Diamond could be Western Digital? Not sure though...

resultsb.png

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2011-03-04, 09:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 48, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great work!

Can I contribute with some ET4000w32 and S3 chipset ISA bench?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure!

Also, for anyone that's wondering, an AGP card scores ~ 150 fps...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 48, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the ET4000, WDC hit the peak of the ISA Bus, I just tested my ET4000 vesus a 2mb CLGD5434 and its exactly the same, for dos gaming you cant go wrong with those 3 chipsets however the CL is a windows acclerator card.

The WDC is a western digital chipset, check out this review
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue15 … peedStar_24.php

Diamond Computer Systems' new SpeedStar 24X accelerator represents a minor coup in computer video. Not only does it outperform virtually every accelerator on the market today, but it costs little more than a standard VGA card.

Indeed, at $249 retail--and with street prices under $200--the SpeedStar 24X offers the best price-to-performance ratio of any video card currently available. Not to be confused with the SpeedStar Plus or the original SpeedStar 24, the 24X employs Western Digital's unique WD90C31 chip set to achieve true 24-bit color and blazing speeds. Accelerators based on the ubiquitous S3 chip improve only Windows performance; the 24X hastens DOS applications as well.

On a standard 33-MHz 386 machine, the SpeedStar 24X's Windows benchmark test scores were mediocre--only about 5 times the speed of normal VGA. On a 33-MHz 486 setup, however, the numbers improved dramatically--about 12 times the speed of normal VGA. This ranked the 24X above the fastest accelerators from competitors like ATI and Orchid, and even above the up-and-coming local bus video accelerators.

But numbers don't mean much in real-world computing, so I put the 24X through what I call the Wing Commander test. Origin's Wing Commander II is perhaps the most graphics-intensive game on the market, and it can make even a 486 computer seem slow. On my 33-MHz 386 with a standard VGA card, the animation was jerky and poorly timed with the digitized sounds. The 24X card

brought the game to life, making the animation faster and much more fluid.

Another of the 24X's charms is its ability to run Windows in extended graphics modes. Its 24-bit color capabilities allow for a palette of 16.7 million colors in the 640 x 480 mode, and it has drivers for displaying 32,000 colors at 800 x 600, 256 colors at 1024 x 768, and 16 colors at 1280 x 1024. The 800 x 600 mode is what I use most often, and the 32,000-color driver made Windows glorious to behold. Alas, at least one application balks at the extended spectrum: Aldus PageMaker 4.0 would not load with that driver installed. A quick call to Aldus, however, revealed that PageMaker has inherent troubles with 32,000-color drivers, so the hardware wasn't to blame.

The 24X comes with DOS drivers for everything from AutoCAD to WordPerfect, plus a copy of the Halo Desktop Imager for Windows (an impressive image-editing program) and one of the best instruction manuals I've ever read. The card is backed by a five-year warranty and unlimited technical support. Diamond also maintains a 24-hour BBS for downloading driver updates.

A few technical notes: The initial release of the 24X did not function properly on 50-MHz 486DX machines, but the problem has been corrected. As of this writing, the BIOS on the card is version 1.02. If you have an earlier BIOS, contact Diamond for an upgrade. Currently, there are no OS/2 drivers for the 24X, but a representative at Diamond indicated that the drivers are now in development.

The SpeedStar 24X is the perfect steroid to pump up lackluster video performance. Faster, cheaper, and more flexible than most accelerators, it gives graphics-intensive software new life.

Reply 4 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated the photo of the ET4000 (didn't have the flash on).

Thanks for posting that review dirkmirk!

I guess windows benchmarks would show more differences, but I think it would be a real pain finding all the drivers 🤣 Unless W98 has drivers built in?

I could have gotten a 4MB ISA Number 9, but it tested faulty...

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2011-03-04, 09:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 48, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you should try benchmarking Doom 1.9s & Quake 1.06 shareware.

On my 386DX40 I got 7fps and 1.8fps using the standard timedemos with both the ET4000 $ CL5434, obviously a cpu bottleneck.

If we could find some windows benchmarks we could really nail down the best ISA chipsets with the figures for referance, I need to get my P2 system running and test these cards.

Reply 6 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea Doom is way to demanding for a 386. Even 3dbench won't score high enough to really show a difference.

Hence why I used a fast Pentium MMX, to really show the bottleneck.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 48, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

too bad I killed my OAK VGA card, but then again it as a good thing because I wouldn't have gotten a ATI Graphics Pro Turbo ISA otherwise 😀
would be good to test both of my cards side by side, but that isn't possible.... I do have a WD card pulled from some old compaq though

Reply 8 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OAK were pretty slow. Similar to Trident I would think...

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 48, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My windows 95A disc had drivers for the ET4000/CL5434, Id imagine windows 95/98 would have most drivers for these cards, Im not really sure of all the benefits in windows? moving windows & scrolling?

Reply 10 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fun thread!

I might be tempted to try, but eh, need to wake up first right now!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2D acceleration really. No idea what benchmark would be suitable though.

I guess this is way more interesting for your 386. On my machine I would just put in my AGP card 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 48, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could test an Elsa Winner 1000, but I don't have 233 MMX, only 200 MMX - does that matter much? Also, does the mainboard make a big difference? I have an Asus P/I-P55T2P4 rev. 3.10...

I've read about two versions of 3DBENCH here - 1.0 and 1.0c - which one to use?

Reply 13 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure, the CPU shouldn't matter that much...

I used 3dbench 1.0!

Board shouldn't matter I think, I loaded BIOS defaults and that was it.

Now there is was a setting for ISA bus speed, but that is also on Auto (BIOS defaults) and I believe it was set to BCL2/4 or something on thise lines...

Good point actually, might need to check if changing it makes a difference, in case your scores are substantially different.

Have you got a ET4000 as reference?

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 48, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately not - I'm hoping to get my hands on some Diamond Speedstars, but that could take weeks... All I have so far in the ISA area is this Elsa and three Tridents 9000 (B/C/i).

Reply 15 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Give them a go! Should be interesting...

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 48, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

... I decided to use a fast CPU, so that the differences come to light.

CPU: Intel Pentium MMX 233

That's what i love about this forum. 😉

Reply 19 of 48, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, here we go:

- Trident 9000B: 34.4
- Trident 9000C: 40.0
- Trident 9000i-3: 34.4
- Elsa Winner 1000 (S3 928, 2MB): 50.0
- Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro (PCI, S3 Virge/DX, 4MB): 66.6

That 9000C sure is surprising... does it have anything to do with the fact that it's the only Trident with an external RAMDAC?