VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I am testing a Matrox G200 PCI 8MB video card. I have tested it in a PCI 486 mobo, and it works OK. I am also testing it in a slot 1 mobo, to test some of the latest Windows 98 drivers and utilities.

1) Link to the latest Windows 3.x driver. Filename is w31_161.exe.
2) Link to the latest Windows 95 driver. Filename is w9x_623.exe.
3) Link to the latest Windows 98 driver. Filename is w9x_682.exe.
4) Link to an older driver that works on a 486 mobo, for either Windows 95 or 98. Filename is w9x_433c.exe.
5) Link to the G200's BIOS, and BIOS utility. Filename is setup_g258_2.exe.
6) Link to a BIOS recovery utility. Filename is recover.zip.
7) Link to the Matrox PowerDesk driver uninstaller. Filename is pd_unin201.exe.
8 ) Link to an older version of the Matrox tweaker. See note 8 below. Filename is mtstu40409.zip.
9) Link to (I think) the latest Matrox tweaker - but see note 9 below. Filename is mtstu50204.zip.
10) Link to the VESA VBE/core V3.0 GX00VBE (version 1.0b4) utility.
11) Link to "Matrox Files", an old Matrox "fan made" website.

Notes
1) This seems to work well. I chose the 1280x1024 resolution option, and it worked on my LCD. This software package also contains an uninstaller, which is useful.

2) It seems that this driver includes the integrated ICD. Therefore, you don't need to download their final beta 2 ICD from the Matrox FTP site, if you are using this driver.

3) There are a couple of other later drivers. They are called w9x_683.exe and w9x_683beta.exe. You can get them here. I haven't tested them.

4) I wonder if this older version works OK on a 486, because it contains no Pentium instructions? BTW, this Matrox ftp site is useful. It has all of the Matrox archived software in it. You can't browse to all of this stuff, via their website. You can only browse *all* of it via this FTP site.

5) You can't run the Windows BIOS utility to flash the card, if you haven't installed the G200's graphics driver software beforehand. I've tested this on both Windows 95 and 98. There is an older BIOS package available on the Matrox FTP site. It seems more DOS oriented, and includes various DOS utilities. It is called setup351.exe. You can get this DOS package here.

6) This will restore the G200 to use the factory default BIOS. I think that's BIOS version 1.0 or 1.1. I haven't tested this.

7) I wonder why this is available seperately? For all of the driver versions I have installed, you can uninstall the PowerDesk and driver by going to Control Panel, and selecting to uninstall the Matrox software. Perhaps really old versions of this software did not have this feature? There is an older uninstaller available on the Matrox FTP site. This filename is pd_unin.exe. I have only tested pd_unin201.exe. I've tested it on both Windows 95 and 98.

8 ) Using this tool, I enabled "Advanced multitexturing" and "optimise for accuracy". I then ran Quake2 timedemo. I got ~15 FPS. I then disabled the advanced multitexturing, and I also selected "optimised for speed". I reran the Quake2 timedemo. I got ~18 FPS. So, it appears to do something. 😉 BTW, there is no overclocking tab in this version. That only appears in the 50204 version, but it doesn't appear to do anything for this G200 card. BTW, I've tried running these Tweaker utilities on Windows 95, and an error pop up message is displayed saying that W95 is not supported.

9) It runs OK, but doesn't appear to do much. Overclocking and changing the OpenGL options don't appear to work. I guess it has been designed for use with the G400 and above cards. The readme/release notes say that it supports the G200 PCI card, however. So, I don't understand why this isn't working too well. There are other older versions of this tweaker available. They can be found here and here.

10) This video utility adds VESA VBE/core V3.0 functionality, overriding the Matrox BIOS. It takes up about 8Kb of memory, as a TSR.

11) Contains several "fan made" utilities, including "MXSET", a utility to overclock the G200! I have not tested this.

The card
It looks like it's made by Compaq. I wonder why they call it a G2+? Are these things slower than the Matrox G200 cards?
PICT2386.JPG

PICT2389.JPG

MGA clock utility. You can find it here. Filename is mxck.exe
MGA%20clock%20info.jpg

Mxinfo. You can find it here. Filename is mxinfo.exe
mxinfo.jpg

Matrox display properties. Shows the "integrated" ICD, for this 6.82 version driver.
mga_info.jpg

MGA control panel, in Windows 3.11 (wfwg)
mat1.jpg

MGA advanced set up, in Windows 3.11 (wfwg)
mat2.jpg

MGA PowerDesk, in Windows 3.11 (wfwg)
mat3.jpg

Reply 1 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

according to this site: http://www.512bit.net/matrox.html

the g2+ simply denotes that it is PCI and not AGP. At least as far as I can see. I also know that the G2 uses SDram in what "appears" to be a standard so-dimm package. Care to test this out? I know the G2 is upgradeable to 16mb. That would let you unlock the 1600x1200@32bit resolution. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one such sodimm, but I don't know what upgradeable graphics card it came from.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if nothing else:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

$10, free shipping. I bought one. 😀

its going to go with my NIB matrox m200 for my retro gamer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

But i'm REALLY glad you posted these utilities, once my card comes i'm going to have fun playing with everything. ^.^

Reply 4 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
MGA advanced set up, in Windows 3.11 (wfwg) https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_Dop-eDMechk/Tb7bCQoynpI/AAAAAAAABgU/ftTmt9P2QwM/s […]
Show full quote

MGA advanced set up, in Windows 3.11 (wfwg)
mat2.jpg

The looks of this panel makes me think Win3.1 getting Aero.

Reply 5 of 19, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should check which G200 model you have before purchasing a memory upgrade. G200 Mystique used standard SDRAM, while G200 Millenium used the faster SGRAM. They are not interchangeable.

I have a G200 Millenium and got a SGRAM upgrade some years ago. It enables higher resolutions, but anything above 800x600x32 is completely unusable in 3D, either with or without the extra memory.

Upgrading the G200 memory causes a somewhat serious drawback: the memory module interface introduces some timing issues at any clock speed higher than 85 Mhz. It won't be overclockable anymore.

Reply 6 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers for the info 😉

Iirc the memory module I had had what looked like those SGRAM chips

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I beleive the SGRAM style G200's were in the AGP form factor, not PCI. All PCI G200's should use SDRAM.

If you are going to overclock your G200's, you'll need to add a fan to the heatsink. I find a 486 fan fits nicely.

EDIT: @rg100
To answer your question 7, some versions of PowerDesk didn't uninstall well with the Control Panel Uninstaller, i.e. version 4.20 that comes on the original Matrox cd supplied with the card.

Reply 8 of 19, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience, Matrox cards have never been stellar with actual performance. Come to think of it, I can't remember a time a current generation Matrox card was not outperformed by many cheap budget cards. However, they have always been the best money can buy for analog visual quality.

Reply 9 of 19, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Serves its purpose fine though if you want to run Win9x 3D-accelerated games as well as Win 3.1 on the side. As far as I remember Matrox supported Win 3.1 up to the G400 series in their drivers.

Reply 10 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

matrox basically gave up on the whole 3d thing and decided to go after the high-dollar corporate sector. simple matrox video cards are EVERYWHERE in the server market. My main system is a dual opteron setup, It has four 16x pci-e slots but still has onboard matrox video. Their niche is making video cards that powerbrokers use to see 20 monitors at once.

I hope the card I ordered will work with the memory module I got. :p I'll be pissed if it doesnt. Basically the only thing I need for my super socket 8 system is a proper case and a memory upgrade module for my awe64. I'll be using the g200 for 2d, and a 6mb voodoo1 for 3d. ^.^

Reply 11 of 19, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thx! for this read...interesting read.

I am currently using my g200 in a PII-System, but I have trouble getting the G200 to work with D3D or either OpenGL. There must be an issue with the drivers/dx or with the card.
I think I should do a reinstall of Win95(b) and install the drivers again. Is there an advice for reinstalling thins card? What version should be installed within Win95 and is it important
to install the chipset-drivers (LX440) first. I upgraded from the original DX-Version 4.x? of Win95 directly to DX8.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 12 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah ffs! I was hoping RG100 had come back! 🙁 🙁 🙁
Dammit...

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time I spoke to him, which was many years ago, he had serious health issues. So I fear the worst, in that he isn't around anymore 😢 But I don't know for sure guys.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 19, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everywhere you can read that Matrox are not the best choice for a Dos-Card, especially when it comes to old Games and Demos/Intros.
In some cases this might be right, in other they are very compatible and better than others.
It's therefore stupid to blame matrox, because a PII (in my cases) does not make sense to play very old EGA stuff from 1990 and before.

Here are some things I have noticed so far:

SecretAgent1-3
My G200 (Bios not upgraded) does not display the Intro, neither the game. So here it's true, matrox fails those EGA game-series.

AlienBreed Tower Assault:
Works perfect smooth. My ET4000 fails here. Half of the image ist constantly shadowed. So a clear win for matrox!

more to come.

Reply 17 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda miss that guy. Last I heard from rg100 was Oct. 2015. He was definitely having health issues and life adjustments. I'll send him a line.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 18 of 19, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

In my experience, Matrox cards have never been stellar with actual performance. Come to think of it, I can't remember a time a current generation Matrox card was not outperformed by many cheap budget cards. However, they have always been the best money can buy for analog visual quality.

In its day, the G400 MAX competed pretty well with the TNT2 Pro and Voodoo3 3000, but that was probably the first - and last - time they ever batted in the big leagues for 3D performance. Certainly the G450 and even G550 were sidegrades at best, and the Parhelia was too little, too late.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 19 of 19, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows versions of DOS games list

Can someone tell me where the main "list" is? Would be nice if there was a difference marked if there is a native Win3x or a native Win95 or Win98 port of the Dosgame.

I hope the list linked above is not a list for "ports" from other developers, because I did not remember that e.g. tyrian has a native Windows Version except for "open tyrian"
which is completly different thing and most of the later "win-ports" do require newer machines, newer operating systems and far better cpu/gpu's.

I prefer the oldshool machine and therefore I am very interested in the native ports from the original deveolpers.