VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by extent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to try and find out how to enable gravis ultrasound music within "dosbox game launcher" for games that have this ability? I have downloaded the necessary gravis set, renamed it (GRAVISSND411) to ULTRASND, and changed DBGL's target directory settings for gravis to where it is now located, at C:\ULTRASND\. I have enabled gravis in DBGL. Supposedly some games such as heretic and doom as an example require that I have installed the General MIDI patch set from 2.06a or above. The set I have uses 2.1, located at C:\ULTRASND\MIDI. In Dos Box DBGL, I can click on "run setup" which runs an original games setup. For Music and FX I choose and save Gravis as default. The problem is that with all games that can use gravis in DBGL, no music can ever be heard, only the sound effects. Some forums have mentioned that all other audio settings should be turned off (disney sound service+other soundcard options), the audio GF1 IRQ in DBGL should be less than 8, and that I may need to copy ULTRAMID.INI from gravis into the games directory, and rename it to DMXGUS.INI. Some games supposedly cant find the gravis files unless they are set to C:\DOS\ULTRASND, but I have tried all of these options, and nothing seems to work for enabling the music.

phpetzvwlam.jpg

I have tried many different setup combinations. I dont need to know how to enable gravis using dosbox alone,
only through dosbox gameslauncher. Perhaps I need a different target directory for the files, or some
vital files are missing? If anybody wants to try and get it working, DBGL can be found at
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/ and a link to the 'Gravis ULTRASND Files'
folder was posted on here before (not the 'GUS Install' pack).

Thanks for any help 😀

Reply 1 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you got "SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND" in your dosbox/autoexec.bat?

The best test is to try the playmidi utility that should be in your C:\ULTRASND folder - if your environment and other config is fine then it should load the patches from the C:\ULTRASND\MIDI directory and playback the midi file.

(edit: sorry, ULTRADIR, not ULTRASND)

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, I have no problems getting GUS music to play (using the stock 4.11 drivers) in Doom (1.9) or Heretic (1.0). Just using the default DOSBox (thus DBGL) settings, except for setting soundblaster type to 'none' and GUS 'enabled'. Keep your GUS base address on default (240) and get rid of that trailing backslash in the ultradir setting.

Reply 4 of 8, by extent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks to everyone, I just noticed the midi tester 😀 I get "baseport not found" on the first midi playback attempt, and then "another program is using the ultrasound card" constantly afterwards. Im not sure what else could be using ultrasound? I dont have an "autoexec.bat" file in dosbox either? No doubt both of these issues are stopping the gamelauncher from working correctly with ultrasound, but when running dos games within the launcher, no autoexec.bat has ever been created? I have checked dosbox 0.73 and 0.74 from the official website. ....a quick update:- Ive just realised from the dosbox wiki that the bat is actually a section of the dosbox.conf.. sorry about that! Im new to dosbox so I dont know all the basics 😀 yes, the autoexec.bat section is empty, so I edit it to show:-

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
# SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND

Is this how I do it-or should I delete the two general info lines above it? Its a pity that dosbox gameslauncher couldnt have added the info as default itself, after enabling it within the launcher and possibly asking me a few quick questions regarding it. With the midi test within ultrasound, Im still getting the same "baseport not found" and "another program is using ultrasound" messages, even with the above now added? I hope the above makes it clearer in what Im doing wrong 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by extent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In that last sentence I meant to say that dosbox launcher was still behaving the same-any ideas how I can set ultrasound to find this baseport-does a similar config need to be edited in ultrasound? thanks

Reply 7 of 8, by Fuggin-Nuggets

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get gus working at all. I found a download that I think has the patches or what ever in it, that I need. The gus install doesn't work. setting Doom and Duke Nukem 3D to us gus, doesn't work. I was able to get as far as doing some sort of driver install, but that didn't make gus work either. No wonder Sound Blaster took over back in the day. I wonder if it was this hard to get the actual physical cards working back then.

Reply 8 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a GUS back in the day, and yes while it sounded great, it was a pain with regular SB/Adlib games. But games that directly supported the GUS would be fine.

You have to remember that you need to have a ULTRASND directory in the root of your emulated C: drive with the ultrasound patches and such. Then in DOSBox all you really need to set is

[sblaster]
sbtype=none

[gus]
gus=true

It is not strictly necessary to disable SB, but it is easier as that way there is less chance for resource conflicts and the game detecting a SB.

I only enable GUS support for games that really benefit from it, and for games you mention you may as well use SB16.
Try it on games like Terminal Velocity or Turrican II. There is a thread here somewhere with the games that really are best on a GUS.

Also, don't select a later GUS model like the MAX or PnP as those are not emulated.