VOGONS

First post, by David J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason, if I try and run the game manually via the command prompt I have no issues with the game, it runs fine. However, if I run it via a shortcut or just drag and drop the exe into a DOSbox icon, the game won't work.

Here's what happens, the game won't load fully, as there is no intro, graphics or audio. I will get a screen later with some minimal graphics though but the game is unplayable. Nothing will happen until I either let it sit there or keep pressing the ESC key, and then I get an message saying "Unable to load the picture" and there are really no graphics or audio when I open it via a shortcut, or even dragging and dropping. Very odd this one game only works if I run it via command prompt but no other way. Am I doomed to command prompt?

Reply 2 of 7, by David J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is an example screenshot of the issue I get when I open the game, very odd this is the only one to give me issues.

Attachments

• slh_000.png
    Filename
    slh_000.png
    File size
    1.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 7, by David J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my current target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf "D:\dosgames\hoboken\slh.exe" -exit

All of my other games use the same for shortcuts - different exe's and directories if required obviously, and even when using custom conf files if needed (this one happens to work fine with the main conf file I have setup).

Thanks for any assistance

Reply 5 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's a CD-ROM game, the CD isn't getting mounted, probably, so instead of doing such a shortcut why not:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf -conf "D:\dosgames\hoboken\slh.conf" -exit

And put the appropriate cd mountings and slh.exe in the autoexec section of slh.conf?
If it's not a cd version and it works from the command line, why not try my suggestion anyway?

Reply 6 of 7, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your userconf option is not a configuration file, it's trying to run the actual game. That is indeed the current directory problem.
You need to create a config file with an autoexec section that mounts the game directory properly, changes to the game directory, and then runs the .exe (that is, to replicate exactly what you are typing at the command prompt).

Reply 7 of 7, by David J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed the issue!

Tried it out the suggestion by Bloodbat, and I still got NO graphics but command line still works fine. But the issues I was having appear to be with the Legend.ini file which I guess is the configuration file from the game itself. By default these are the settings for directories:

GAMEDATA=C:\HOBOKEN\
VOCDATA=D:\HOBOKEN\
SAVEDATA=C:\HOBOKEN\

I changed it to the following:

GAMEDATA=D:\HOBOKEN\
VOCDATA=D:\HOBOKEN\
SAVEDATA=C:\HOBOKEN\

And now it works no problem. I just changed the GAMEDATA folder to D:\HOBOKEN, to reflect the mounted CD drive and now it works no problem with a mounted image. Thanks!