VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Demesthenos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I just got the X-Com Series on Steam. Everything runs fine, except there is no sound in full screen mode. As soon as I switch to windowed mode, the sound comes through fine. I have checked my configuration files, and looked all over various forums on the web for a solution (Only one person posted having the same problem and no solution was given).

This problem happens on each of the xcom games (5 in total). I can't stand to play them in windowed mode, it gives me a headache. Please help me with this, as I feel like I've now wasted money on a game I love but can't enjoy because of a simple sound issue.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 mother board
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2Ghz processor
XFX HD-657X-CNF2 Radeon HD 6570 2GB video card
16GB of Kingston DDR3 Ram (1333)
I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

Reply 1 of 10, by Demesthenos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot to mention, when I go into full screen it mutes all sounds not just the ones from dosbox. I was listening to slacker radio and on voice chat and as soon as I entered full screen I stopped hearing them. Sound was immediately restored after returning to windowed mode.

Reply 2 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting issue...

Instead of "going into" full-screen mode (I assume you use ALT+ENTER), change the config file so that it starts in full screen mode right away. You could also upload your config file onto here and have us take a look.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using audio-over-HDMI? Did some googling and found this: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=115 … bebc8f2ff09caae

If all else fails, you can right-click the speaker icon in the system tray, then go to Playback Devices and right-click to disable any devices you don't want sound to come out of.

If that still doesn't help, right click the device you DO want sound to come from, then go to Properties->Advanced. Un-check "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and hit OK.

Reply 4 of 10, by Demesthenos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks I'll mess around with these things tonight. Yes I am using HDMI and yes it starts full screen by default. That forum talks about using an OpenGL option in scumm to allow higher resolution than 640x480, are you aware of a way to do that with dosbox?

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox settings...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, so since it's an HDMI issue you can forget everything I said before. Instead, install the latest AMD Catalyst drivers and then poke around the Catalyst Control Center for HDMI- and/or HDCP-related options.

When I was running Windows on my nVidia-based HTPC, it had trouble with some full-screen stuff over HDMI due to HDCP until I tweaked some settings.

If you want to try OpenGL in DOSBox, set the following config options:
fullresolution=0x0 (or desktop or whatever resolution you want)
fulldouble=true (optional)
output=opengl (or output=openglnb if you don't want smoothing)
scaler=none (at least to start)
aspect=true (optional)

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I solved my audio-over-HDMI problem using the guide at http://currysauce.org/2010/03/20/how-to-disab … graphics-cards/ . It involves altering the monitor definition so that the video card driver doesn't recognize it as being audio-capable, so it ought to work for ATI cards as well. (I think NVidia might have properly fixed the problem in the latest drivers.)

I would not have thought that problem would suddenly go away when running the game in windowed mode, though.