VOGONS

First post, by ansthenia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone

I'm using windows XP
Dosbox 0.74

So I have Betrayal at Krondor CD version as a bin/cue files. I mount the cue file with "-t cdrom" but when I go to the directory and type "setup" it says "This program requires Microsoft Windows"

Whats going on here? I've heard of other people playing the CD version with the CD music on XP, so why's it saying this? I've tried running DosBox with compatibility wizard in windows 1995 and windows 2000 but it doesn't work. The only thing that works in the mounted directory is "install" but when I install the game and then run Krondor.exe the CD music doesn't work. I tick the box in preferences but it just unticks when I go back to the menu.

Can someone please help me out with this?
Thanks for your time

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe that the Sierra Originals CD has a Windows installer, but the game itself is very definitely a DOS game. Be sure that you are running the game from the installed folder, not the image. The preferences file is KRONDOR.CFG. Make sure that this file exists in the installed directory.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ansthenia wrote:

Whats going on here? I've heard of other people playing the CD version with the CD music on XP, so why's it saying this?

Are you sure about that? If I'm not mistaken, some of the CD versions used CD audio, but others used MIDI.

ansthenia wrote:

I've tried running DosBox with compatibility wizard in windows 1995 and windows 2000 but it doesn't work.

DOSBox itself is a 32-bit Windows program, so changing the compatibility options for DOSBox itself will do nothing.

I think Sierrahelp.com might have some useful stuff for getting this game running.

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sierra included (16-bit?) Windows installers with some of their later games. This is one of them. leileilol is correct about needing to run INSTALL for DOS instead of SETUP.

As far as I know, the CD versions use CD audio. I'm not sure there *is* any other difference between the CD and floppy versions.

B@K frustrates me because it has a good MT-32 soundtrack, but also good Sound Blaster sound effects that cannot be used with the MT-32 mode. The CD-ROM version uses MIDI recordings for the music, so I have little interest in it.

I downloaded B@K at one point when it was being officially offered for free. I need to actually play through the whole thing at some point; I hit a bug in the late game way back when that made me put it down.

Reply 6 of 7, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

imgmount d "c:\dosbox\bakrondor.cue" -t iso

Run the DOS install. Should create a DRIVE.CFG file. Which contains this:
C
D

CD audio plays okay.

===========================

I notice some resource restructuring between Krondor 1.0 -> 1.02 patched floppy vs Krondor CD. Probably not much important though.

The free release (1.01) has bugs that were patched in 1.02.

The CD music doesn't fade-out, some tracks shorter than the MIDI versions and they don't loop either. The intro is touched up to include a cymbal crash and more reverb (iirc) but the rest seemed like mostly an 'enhanced' MIDI (better instruments and reverb+ maybe).

I prefer the GMIDI w/ SC-55 (using virtual sc) which for me sounds good enough compared to Redbook. But I miss those sound effects too - some of the MIDI ones don't cut it. And there's the lack of those short digitized speech samples ("Hello there!" or some grunt deaths).

And the two lightning strikes in the intro.