VOGONS

Alien Trilogy - cd detection issue

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed Alien Trilogy in 0.74 using an IMG of the cd.

Install worked fine, however once I try to launch the game it requests that I insert the CD.

CD is obviously mounted properly, otherwise I could not have installed the game from it.

So this leads me to believe it is a DRM issue. Suggestions?

I see others have run the game with no mention of this problem, which leads me to believe there is either a work around, or they were using a cracked version.

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Works fine here with default settings in 0.74 and SVN. The game does check the volume label (ALIEN_TRILOGY_PC, which can only be fully read with MSCDEX function to read the VTOC), and it checks all audio tracks. Perhaps the audio tracks on your image have some timing inaccuracy. There is a version 2.0 patch on Patches Scrolls, but I wouldn't expect it to resolve a CD-check problem.

Reply 3 of 7, by blacknail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I had exactly the same problem, exofreeze. In case you're using Linux, do you know which software can I install to convert the IMG/CCD image directly to BIN/CUE? Or the only possible solution is to burn (and waste) a CD, and then rip it again to BIN/CUE? I've searched google all over but can't seem to reach a conclusion on both questions. Thanks!

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Instead of burning a disc, maybe mount the CloneCD image in a virtual disc drive and then image that to BIN/CUE format. I know it can be done with Daemon Tools or Alcohol in Windows, but dunno if there are CD emulators for Linux that support mixed mode discs (necessary for the audio tracks).

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So, it's likely an illegal download and I'll have to lock this topic. We can't support that here. If I'm wrong somehow, pm me.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper