VOGONS

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Argh, Creative, why do you make so many damn versions of what's supposed to be the same card...

So I just won an AWE32 on eBay that the seller claims is a CT2760. It certainly has the ASP/CSP I was looking for (want to try out TFX with it), but it's only now that I realize that the CT2760 can be two significantly different AWE32 revisions:

http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/sound/CT2760.jpg

http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/sound/CT2760_3.jpg

The one I bought looks more like the one on top, and certainly says "CT2760". But when you compare it with the other card also labeled "CT2760", you notice the lack of a genuine Yamaha OPL3 along with the very different board layout...so close, yet so far.

But even the different CT2760 layout doesn't always mean a non-OPL3, at this image shows:

http://ru.pc-history.com/wp-content/uploads/c … 0_isa-16bit.jpg

There have been threads on different AWE32s here and there on this forum, but the information's a bit...scattered. I want to consolidate all of that into this thread, with everyone's help. In the end, it should be made clear exactly which cards prospective buyers might want.

Also, I'd like a bit more information on what specific driver version and configuration it took to get QSound working in Windows with all sound sources on ASP/CSP-equipped cards. I recall something about having to leave a control panel open all the time, but I might be able to live with that, so long as I can get it working. Details are in this thread.

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2012-10-18, 05:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks more like "CT1343" or "CT1242" to me, though the main cause of concern is the lack of the distinct OPL logo. Not that the low resolution is helping matters any...

Now that I think about it, if one's willing to break out the soldering equipment, would it be feasible to just replace a non-OPL FM synth chip with a genuine OPL chip sourced from another SB16/AWE32 card?

Reply 3 of 9, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the card today; I can stop freaking out now, as it does have a CT1747 and the OPL logo on it. Also, scrutinizing the box art shows a CT1747 that doesn't have the OPL logo. Typical Creative inconsistency, I suppose.

I even figured out some tricks to discerning whether the given chip on an AWE32 is genuine OPL or not, even with low-resolution eBay pictures; if you know where it's located on that board revision, just look carefully at the bottom white text and see if it ends roughly around the middle of the chip, or extends a bit past the middle. In the latter case, it probably has the OPL logo.

Anyway, what I just noticed about the CT2760 cards is that the lower-linked one is actually a "Revision 3" CT2760, also sometimes termed the CT2760A in some circles. Some seem to think it's slightly improved, but I don't feel the need to bother hunting down yet another AWE32 variant.

I'd replace my AWE64 Gold with it immediately, except for one small problem...it's blocked off by my current case's hard drive cage. I need a new case, one with a lot of room in that lower area for lengthy expansion cards, and better airflow to boot.

Reply 4 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've mentioned this a fair number of times, but all CT1747 chips contain Yamaha's OPL3 core. The chips lacking the OPL logo were simply produced before Yamaha registered the trademark.

Reply 5 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone had a utility not too long ago (Cloudschatze?) which scanned your system and told you everything you wanted to know about your Sound Blaster card. Sounded cool. Can't remember where the thread is or if it were public. If no longer, it would be nice if it were reposted 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 9, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

I've mentioned this a fair number of times, but all CT1747 chips contain Yamaha's OPL3 core. The chips lacking the OPL logo were simply produced before Yamaha registered the trademark.

Ah, gotcha. Would've been nice to know that earlier...

Come to think of it, are there any CT2760s or other early-revision AWE32s that are highly likely but NOT guaranteed to contain a genuine OPL3 core? I'm still trying to figure out when the approximate switchover from OPL to CQM happened among the revisions. It doesn't quite correlate to the switch to ISA PnP, as some PnP AWE32s do have CT1747 OPL3s.

Stiletto wrote:

Someone had a utility not too long ago (Cloudschatze?) which scanned your system and told you everything you wanted to know about your Sound Blaster card. Sounded cool. Can't remember where the thread is or if it were public. If no longer, it would be nice if it were reposted 😀

That would be incredibly convenient in analyzing Sound Blaster cards of all models and revisions. Too bad I don't know where to get this utility myself...

Reply 7 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're lucky to have been looking for one of the more readily available variants of the AWE32. I was looking for the longest time for a CT3980. I found a box with the manuals, drivers, software, and all the other little cables and parts that came with it but WITHOUT the card for sale on ebay once and was trying to find a matching card and soon discovered why the seller didn't have the card that went with it. They are extremely hard to find. I suppose it was because CT3980 was a top of the line card when it was new and was expensive so not many sold compared to the cheaper versions. There was also a CT3990 that slotted in above it in the heirarchy but that card doesn't have an OPL chip at all. It has Creative's proprietary replacement for OPL that appeared later in the AWE64 line, which sucks.

Reply 8 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NamelessPlayer wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

That would be incredibly convenient in analyzing Sound Blaster cards of all models and revisions. Too bad I don't know where to get this utility myself...

Found the thread where I'd heard about it. It was made by NewRisingSun.
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php?topic=2421.0

It doesn't seem to be online anymore...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2012-10-23, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In other news, I'm trying to test the AWE32 CT2760. Problem is, the drivers off the floppy disks don't really get along with Win98SE that well.

Also weirdly enough, the Device Manager shows that it has defaulted to IRQ 10 for whatever dumb reason. I know this isn't a PnP revision, but I didn't see any jumpers pertaining to IRQ and DMA settings for the sound card itself, just the Mitsumi CD-ROM controller. I suppose that's what SET BLASTER is for, but changing that didn't change what Win98SE saw.

I guess it's just because I don't have the right drivers...I'll try the ones on that CD image uploaded on the VOGONS Drivers site, even though they're meant for PnP AWE32s. Only thing is, I don't want these drivers being the too-recent sort that break the QSound functionality...

EDIT: I think I'm getting the hang of this. Change the resources manually in the Device Manager, disable anything else that causes conflicts (thankfully just the printer port that I never use), and that should do it nicely.

Also, this CT2760 has DSP 4.12, so the wavetable header's probably bugged. I suppose I can find a way to make an Aureal card's SB Pro emulation co-exist with an AWE32 and use its wavetable header instead, if I ever decide to get into daughterboards.