VOGONS

First post, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a DOS driver for the ADI AD1881 audio codec, using an ISA soundcard is sadly not an option on this particular machine... it looks like SoundMax (Analog Devices) only sold the chip, no drivers. all the OEMs seem to have broken links to their DOS drivers (Damn you HP) but its an Acer board. although its not the mobo that matters, its the codec itself.]

If anybody has one or knows a way to use the Win95 driver in DOS please let me know!

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 1 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am unsure, but maybe the Soundmax 3.0 package supports also this chip: ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/Soundmax/SoundMax_3.0.zip

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 9, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

those drivers only work under Windows, they are DOS compatible, but Windows must be loaded to use that feature. I meant DOS drivers that could be loaded and used in DOS.

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 3 of 9, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I am necroing this post but I have a laptop with the same audio chipset that I think I'd like to run just pure DOS on. Has there been any updates to this? Anyone thing the DOS AC97 driver would work?

Reply 4 of 9, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think no....

just installed a P4 system with AD1885 and searched 2 Days for a working 9x Driver...

Windows 9x emulates a SB Pro in the Windows-Dosbox (command line)

that works for some games but not for all

Reply 6 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I am unsure, but maybe the Soundmax 3.0 package supports also this chip: ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/Soundmax/SoundMax_3.0.zip

Sadly this package does not work for my ScenicXS D1215 (AD1885), but the original Package works. With the original FSC AD1885 driver I have SFX in Duke via running Fullscreen-Dos within Win98, but the sfx is distorted and sometimes stuttering. So not a big deal for me. So I go for the ESS-Solo1 instead, but no SFX at all and the LPT-Dac Tandy-SS does not work for me either. (SS not detected). Doc

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2020-11-02, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting article, perhaps I can install this advanced-driver for the codec on my D1215!

The root of the word ac

AC 97 is all called "Audio Codec 97", meaning "audio multimedia digital Signal codec". This is by Intel, analog devices and other related manufacturers to develop the audio circuit system standards, and has been widely recognized by the industry. AC 97 is a technical specification, in short, it employs a dual-chip architecture that allows ADC and DAC to remain relatively independent as far as possible, in order to reduce interference and improve sound quality. Now on the market of multimedia sound card, in addition to CMI8738, and so on a few exceptions, mostly follow the AC 97 standard, including the famous innovation Sound Blaster live! series sound card. I would like to clarify here that many friends treat the AC 97 sound card with the soft sound card, or confuse the AC 97 sound card with the motherboard integrated sound card, in fact these are not correct. As we have seen from the above definition of the AC 97 sound card, it represents only an audio processing technology, an abstract specification, not a specific sound card product category. So the so-called AC 97 soft sound card, refers to the use of CPU to replace the traditional hard sound card audio processing chips for a variety of voice processing work, and then the processing of digital signals to external DAC or onboard codec (hardware decoder) output of a class of products. From the current situation, the AC 97 soft sound card is mainly integrated with the main board, but also similar to the traditional hard sound card as the appearance of independent board face products, this kind of products mainly using CNR interface, like the Ruili company launched the Cnr-soundmax sound card, using 3 AD1885 Codec work together to achieve 6-channel output effect; many companies, such as Hercules, have similar products. On the other hand, the motherboard integrated sound card is not necessarily an AC 97 soft sound card, even not necessarily AC 97 sound card, the former such as innovative ct5880/es1373, etc. belong to the motherboard integrated AC 97 hard sound card, such products in addition to the sound chip, on the motherboard will also be integrated with a codec chip , such as CMI8738, etc. also belong to the motherboard integrated hard sound card, but it does not meet the AC 97 technical specifications, so there is no additional integrated codec chip.
In fact, other than having no sound processing chip, the other hardware components of the AC 97 soft sound card do not differ from the working principle and the AC 97 hard sound card. For AC 97 soft sound card, the factors that affect its performance may have a lot of, but in particular, the type of codec chip, PCB wiring of the pros and cons of the corresponding driver and the degree of perfection is most important. In these three key elements, the codec chip responsible for DA, AD (analog-to-digital/modulus) conversion determines the type of driver used, so many people tend to use the codec model as the AC 97 soft sound card model. One might worry that the quality of an AC 97 soft sound card can be compared to a traditional hard sound card by eliminating the traditional sound-processing chips and relying on software simulations and CPU operations. At the same time CPU resource occupancy rate will be high? In fact, there is absolutely no need for us to worry about this. In performance, the traditional hard sound card can certainly rely on its high-speed DSP chip to obtain a certain performance advantages, but now the CPU performance has been more powerful, to Soundmax as the representative of the audio processing technology and the corresponding driver has been increasingly mature, in this case, AC 97 soft sound card not only in the sound quality can be fully guaranteed, but also because of the characteristics of software simulation can have almost unlimited upgrade potential: Imagine, if a sound card manufacturers launched a landmark new sound card, then you can take its driver directly to their old sound card upgrade it? and AC 97 soft sound card has no such concern, hit a oundmax for example, from the 2.0 version to 3.0 version of the progress, its amplitude is no less than innovative Audigy to SB live! upgrade, and we have to do is simply in support of Soundmax 3.0 technology AC 97 soft sound card on the change driver only! So, what is Soundmax technology? And those AC 97 soft sound cards support this technology? Please keep looking down.

Introduction to Soundmax technology

Similar to the technical specification of AC 97, Sounmax is also a technical specification--to put it more in detail, a sound card technology based on the AC 97 specification "Implementation Details". However, with the AC 97 "soft and hard take-all" approach is different, Soundmax technology is born to sympathize with the "soft" weak, special attention to explore the potential of codec chips, with hardware-level data processing conversion capabilities and the highest 94dB professional sound playback ability, is mainly for AC 97 soft sound card support technology Solutions This technology solution has been developed for Soundmax with SPX (sound product extension) technology, referred to as Sound MAX 3.0 technology. The Soundmax 3.0 technology was developed by analog devices and Intel, with the greatest feature being the integration of the SPX audio effect algorithm. The algorithm mainly improves the sound effects of 3D games, built-in physical modeling, event modeling, and also has the technology of digital signal processing of soft DSP which can be upgraded. SPX technology can simulate the real-time sound effects of 3D gaming scenes flexibly and realistically, this dynamic algorithm allows the game to support it to change the infinite sound, even the same game situation will be due to a few different factors and produce random sound changes, the game is no longer the same sound, the fun will increase. In addition, the Soundmax 3.0 technology also has the following characteristics:

• Compatible with Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP operating system; API driver compatible Microsoft DIRECTSOUND/DIRECTX 8.1; innovation eax 1.0/2.0 A3D 1.0;ia-sig Macrofx/zoom FX and so on.

• Audio Decoder part: Full-duplex processing capacity, 8-bit/16-bit, mono/stereo recording playback, hardware sampling rate can be fine-tuned between 7khz-48khz in 1kHz, output signal-to-noise ratio can reach 94dB, harmonic distortion no more than 0.01% orders of magnitude ; the frequency corresponding range between 20hz-20khz.

• Wave table synthesis: Support Sensaura 3D audio positioning technology, with DSL2 integration engine, with 1.2MB XGLITE/4MB General MIDI Sound Library; Allow users to load custom sound settings into Soundmax synthesizer , you can even use some third-party software applications to create your own MIDI sequences and DLS sound settings, and when playing midi, you can freely adjust the CPU occupancy rate within the 20%-80% range.

All of these outstanding features give the average AC "97 sound card a performance boost that excites countless AC" 97-card users, as well as triggering a change-driven frenzy. After a lapse of one year, we finally ushered in the latest version of Soundmax SoundMAX4.0 XL Drive.

new features and changes of SoundMAX4.0 XL

1, the new control Panel
It looks very beautiful and supports skin change (the default is black and white). The audio and playback items in the interface can be added or deleted at will, and can be controlled individually. It can be said that the new control panel can completely replace the Windows volume Control program.

2,AUDIOESP Technology
The Soundmax 4 XL AUDIOESP technology enables users to be alerted when connecting to an audio peripherals error, directing them to connect the microphone, PC speakers, and other audio devices to the correct system jack. Soundmax 4 XL also provides a "virtual dashboard" that allows users to easily manage related audio controls for optimal performance, and an enhanced Audio wizard that enables users to quickly install their audio peripherals. Perhaps friends will soon be able to enjoy the benefits of the Soundmax 4 new technology, when you plug the microphone into the wrong horn connector, not only the control interface will be identified, the screen will come out to suggest how to correct, save us a lot of trouble.

3,virtual Theater (tm) surround
The latest award-winning Sensaura 5.1 Virtual theater surround sound, which can be virtualized in stereo speakers in a multi-channel movie track.

4, Microphone noise reduction technology
Andrea Electronics is a microphone software development-LED technology developers, Pureaudio. 2.0 is a kind of environment digital noise reduction algorithm which can provide a pure audio-visual signal in the noisy environment, this algorithm makes the speech recognition system under continuous and repeated noises greatly improved. When a patented array of DSDA is given. 2.0 Adaptive Microphone Technology with Andrea Superbeam stereo microphone combination, can make wireless headset field voice input performance more outstanding.

5, other
Open Preferences Menu We can adjust and set up the control Panel mentioned above, you can also listen to the Environment tab on the speaker layout, sound environment and other aspects of the adjustment (there are many pre-set environment to choose from, very convenient), so as to achieve the most ideal listening effect. The new MIDI synthesizer is also one of the highlights of the Soundmax 4 XL, Soundmax 4 XL not only has a first-class DLS2 MIDI synthesizer, but also includes a popular Yamaha DLSBYXG timbre set and supports all the mainstream gaming audio technology. Finally there is a new microphone option, where we can effectively reduce the noise generated by the microphone at work, which is of practical value.

Soundmax 4 XL Drive in music playback and games, the relative SoundMAX3.0 CPU occupancy rate significantly reduced, and the music telepresence has been greatly enhanced. Not only that, Soundmax 4 XL also optimizes the game the EAX algorithm, henceforth also will not appear in the game one opens the eax to cause the picture to pause the situation.

Application range of Soundmax 4.0

To do all this, in addition to the CNR sound card mentioned earlier, we just need a motherboard with a codec chip that supports the technology, and it costs almost zero! So, what kind of motherboard can apply this technology?

As long as the user has a motherboard (including i810/i815/i820/i830/i840/i845/i850, etc.) with a i810 or later chipset, and the codec chip model on the motherboard is AD1885 or higher, you can install Soundmax directly 4.0 were driven. And the Via VT8233 Bridge chip and SIS chipset integrated audio Controller has the highest priority, for motherboards using such chipsets, codec chip only play the role of decoding, so the Soundmax 4.0 driver can not be applied. Motherboards like the Via KT266 (A)/via Apollo pro266/sis 630/sis 635/sis 735 chipset are not available at all 730/sis MAX 4.0, and other non-Intel chipsets can be problematic even when installed. , so it is not recommended.

Soundmax 4.0 actual combat modification and installation

1. Prepare two Soundmax 4XL driver beforehand
First of all, we do not recommend 5.12.01.5410 version, this version of many people can not use the control Panel, according to the author of the test, 5410 version is not unable to use the control Panel, but the quality of the bass than the 5290 version, which is mainly because the version does not support A3D, Sonic Focus DSP Service driver, Sensaura WDM 3D Audio driver these three drives. Do you like the high version or the sound quality, all by personal preference.
1.5.12.01.5290 (ASUS OEM Edition)
Compression Pack 1
Ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/aud ... _part1.zip
Compression Pack 2
Ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/aud ... _part2.zip
Compression Pack 3
Ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/aud ... _part3.zip

Netcom main Download 2
Http://file.mydrivers.com/sound/5.12.01.3580_SM4.zip
Telecom main Download 2
Http://file6.mydrivers.com/files/sound/ ... 80_SM4.zip

2, Next is the most important step-add the hardware ID
After downloading, unzip two drives to 5290 and 35,802 folders, copy \sm_pnp\sys two files from SMWDMIF.dll and X:\3580 SMax4PNP.EXE in X:\3580 \sm_comn\sys\ to X:\ 5290 to overwrite the corresponding file within the folder. Then type DxDiag in the Run dialog box to bring up the DirectX Diagnostics Tool, point to save all the information, and the default will be saved as DxDiag.TXT
Open it and find
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------this
Where hardware ID: The back is what we need ~ (for example, the author's AL655 chip ID is pci\ven_8086&dev_24c5&subsys_810f1043&rev_02.) Then locate the Smwdmch5.inf file in the X:\5290\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP (XP or 2000 system), cancel the read-only property of the Smwdmch5.inf file, and then open it in Notepad to find the last line of the [Analogdevices] section , add the ID number of the native ac′97 sound card in a fixed format and find the analogdevices line, adding the device ID number that you just noted in the format below it. As the author added is:%*wdm_ac97aud. DEVICEDESC%=WDM_865GM, pci\ven_8086&dev_24c5&subsys_810f1043&rev_02 (here's what needs special attention is devicedesc%=wdm_. 865GM This character segment must find a and your motherboard corresponding to the same, should be followed by a lot of corresponding settings. A lot of people get rid of a character segment, still can't be installed for this reason, and then save the file.

3, the last replacement drive
Open the DirectX Diagnostics Tool-〉 Sound-〉 tab, one of the names in the right column, in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ or in the original driver package, click the name to find it, rename the file to Smwdm.sys, and then place the
Overwrite original file (XP or 2000 system) in X:\5290\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\

For people who are not high on demand, you already have your own driver pack!

4, uninstall the original drive, reboot after the installation of their own modified drive!
During the installation, the system prompts the Soundmax driver not to pass the Windows logo test, you do not have to take care of it, click the "Continue" button on the line, and then ask to insert Windows XP SP1, Windows The XP installation CD copies Drmk.sys and wdmaud.drv two files, or you cannot continue. During the installation, there will be 3 warnings about the three files that have just been replaced and the file in the CAB package, ignore it! Install complete follow prompts to reboot!

Soundmax 4.0 Practical Application

After the installation process is complete, a shortcut icon appears on the taskbar to easily adjust the system sound settings.

Open Soudmax 4.0 Control Panel, carefully you are not quickly found that compared to Soudmax 3 more Audio Tuning Wizard and audio diagnostics, this is not very helpful to the understanding of the novice computer?

There is a color leveling in the preferences--〉 routine, which is used to change skin, although only black and white is optional, but it is also helpful to relieve your visual fatigue.

You can adjust your speaker settings, virtual theater surround effect, bass elevation, sound environment, and custom listening styles in the Preferences--〉 listening environment option. The "Virtual theater surround effect" can simulate the sound effects of multichannel movies on stereo speakers; Note that this option is not optional if the user sets the speaker settings to stereo headphones (if the user needs the headset to have this feature, a separate payment is required). The "Sound environment" provides up to 23 different environmental options, enabling us to experience different sound effects on the same computer.

In the preferences--〉 listening environment--〉midi Music synthesizer option, you can adjust the synthesizer's default sound settings, synthesizer effects, synthesizer quality, and so on. In the "Synthesizer Default sound Settings" option, users can customize the default sound settings, Soundmax with 4MB Professional sound settings and 1.2MB xglite sound settings, and if the user plays a MIDI file in the Yamaha XG format, You should select the Xglite sound settings option.

In addition to these options, users can also run the DLS loader from the Start menu or from a shortcut on the taskbar. The DLS loader allows users to load custom MIDI sound settings into the Soundmax synthesizer. There are two ways to automatically load a MIDI sequence using its associated DLS sound settings in a Windows Media Player: If the user chooses the. rmd file, the program automatically loads the matching DLS file, and if you choose. MID file. In addition, users can also manually load. Mid and. DLs files, and then run the Windows Media Player.

Note: 1. I don't have an EQ adjuster in this version of the installation file, so don't count on it:-)

2. Line input and microphone adjustment is now temporarily unavailable, may be related to the configuration file, later found that

3. After the installation is complete, I found that dlsbyxg.dls this SoundFont file and SMax4Wiz.exe are not loaded, directly copy it, find them in X:\5290\SM_Comn\Wiz and X:\5290\SM_Synth, and copy to C:\ Program Files\analog Devices\soundmax. (Not found?) Then you go to 3580 to find it.
4. For highly demanding people, Sf.dll (Sonic Focus DSP Service driver) is also indispensable in X:\3580\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP find it, copy to C:\Program Files\analog Devices\soundmax.

Finish, so now you are waiting for something, to begin to experience your voice of nature ...

Reply 9 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to switch to D1382 with AD1981B (AC'97) Audio Codec for the actual project. I will give this board a try with several different OS.
Dos will be a test, much more interesting will be DOS in OS/2 because the "soundmax" has OS/2 drivers!! We will see how this turnes out.
Beside that I am also testing Win9x, Win2k and of course Linux and Amithlon. The machine has an option for several differenz AGP-LP cards.

In AGP-LP I have: R7000/R9250/R9600/G450/G550/GF2MX/GF6200/5200/TNT2

The radeon offer a great 16AF but they are lacking OS/2 drivers. I will go for G450 because of the native OS/2 and W9X drivers (but no 16AF, or S3TC).