VOGONS

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for getting rid of that HUGE stack of AT power supplies I had!!

So it seems all the good AT power supplies out there are going for outrageous amounts of money, which got me wondering..

Has anyone made an adapter for ATX to AT? It seems like it could be simple enough.. add a ON/OFF switch to the green/gray wires?

EDIT: I just found this after I posted.

2h4zwgw.jpg

http://www.startech.com/Cables/Computer-Power … Cable~ATX2ATPOW

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the same idea a few months back, nice new quiet power supply for all my rigs.
One thing to keep in mind though is most modern ATX power supplys dont have the -5v rail. ISA sound cards do funny things without this. (cant remember what but I found out here)

Its not all bad though. Wikipedia says the ATX12V 1.2 standard released in 2003 the -5v became optional but ATX12V 1.3 which came a few months later got rid of the -5v all together.
So your looking for something from 2003 or before.

A tell tale sign it the -5 rail should be a white wire to the motherboard connecter, no white wire no -5v

Reply 2 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much all Creative Cards, apart from the SB 2.0, work fine without -5V. The LAPC-I also needs -5V and there are likely others. But with Creative you're fine 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Pretty much all Creative Cards, apart from the SB 2.0, work fine without -5V. The LAPC-I also needs -5V and there are likely others. But with Creative you're fine 😀

Any clue about old terratec isa cards?

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Any clue about old terratec isa cards?

see here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ISA_pinout.shtml , B5 is the -5v connector, it would worth the shot to see on the sound card you will use if B5 is populated and going somewhere... if it's emply then you don't need a -5v psu 🙄

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well take a look at the sound card if the -5V pin on ISA connector pin is used or unused. ISA connector pinout is found very easily.

Even if ATX power supply does not provide -5V, it can be made with a voltage regulator from -12V, as some AT power supplies do internally. The problem is how much current is needed, and it still most likely needs a heat sink to spread the heat away from the regulator. I'd say max 0.5A is possible, that will heat a linear regulator at 3.5 watts when it drops 7V over it, making -5V from -12V.

Reply 7 of 9, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm such a cheapskate.. was wondering if anyone knows where to just find the plastic end pieces? I'd almost prefer to make my own.. MAN I'm cheap! heh

Reply 8 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I guess this one would not be of much use then, if dirt cheap is the target ? 😎
Though at least this one comes with the onoff switch, and takes 24pin PSU as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360487699347

Reply 9 of 9, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote:

Well, I guess this one would not be of much use then, if dirt cheap is the target ? 😎
Though at least this one comes with the onoff switch, and takes 24pin PSU as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360487699347

Actually, that's half the price of the other one bc of shipping, thanks.