VOGONS

First post, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last Sunday I was at a friend's house helping him out with some stuff. I stayed past midnight so I asked him for a ride home, so he, his brother and me hopped in the car. About a block away I shouted

Me: Stop the car!
Friend: (stopping) What happened?
Me: I think I saw an old computer lying around garbage bags on that house.
Friend: 🤣

Yes, I did get out of the car to check and yes, it was an old PC so I picked it up and brought it home. It doesn't matter where I am or what time it is or anything, I just can't resist! 🤣

Upon arriving home I put it away for later checking. When I got some free time I had a look at it:

dscn0231s.jpg

dscn0234s.jpg

It's a Mitac branded desktop style Baby AT case from around 1997 according to the plastic markings on the inside and it seems fairly complete by the looks of it. Not bad! Older systems are getting increasingly scarce to find while more modern systems are making their way to landfills - the latest system I picked up from the garbage had a working LGA775 motherboard! 😳

Anyway I'm really happy for having scored this one. I've always really liked desktop style cases, but the only ones I have are a proprietary clone XT one and an enormous, butt-ugly ATX one that used to house a P3. A small, neat Baby AT desktop style case has always been on my wish list and I finally got one! Also it's Mitac branded, the computers I used at my primary school were on desktop style Mitac cases too so there's even a bit of nostalgia involved. 😊

What sorts of mysteries could be hiding on the inside? What kind of system might I find?

dscn0236s.jpg

Answer: A crapload of dirt! Actually it looks like it got dirty and wet, like it was left exposed to the elements and rain got into it, but amazingly nothing looks rusted, just incredibly dirty.

dscn0238s.jpg

The CPU is a 200 MHz Pentium MMX and the sticker on it tells us this PC was built around mid-1998. Time to take it apart!

dscn0241s.jpg

• VX Pro based Socket 7 motherboard with a 200MHz MMX Pentium
  • Unknown amount of EDO DRAM
  • Cirrus Logic GD5446 based PCI video card
  • C-Media CMI8738 based PCI sound card
  • TRENDnet RTL8139D based PCI network card
  • Conexant HSFi based PCI modem card
  • Sony CD-ROM drive
  • Maxtor 20 GB hard drive
  • Alps Electric 3.5" floppy drive
  • Mitac 150W PSU

Haven't tested any of these yet - I've put them aside for the time being so I can concentrate on the case itself. Judging by the manufacturing dates of the hard drive, CD-ROM drive and the cards it's clear that this system received a couple of upgrades on 2002-2003. It seems like everything might be good, just in need of cleaning.

I've already noticed something I don't like: the HDD activity LED is yellow. That's a pet peeve of mine - power LED must be green/blue, HDD LED must be red and Turbo LED must be yellow. I'm definitely replacing that LED with a red one. 🙄

Time for a good scrubbing. I hope it cleans up well.

dscn0244s.jpg

I've always said it and I'll say it again: Cif and a scouring pad really does miracles on textured plastics as commonly used in old computers and video game consoles. It takes a fair bit of elbow grease to remove the deeper scuff marks but it works and I swear by it.

Letting out to dry in the sun:

dscn0245s.jpg

Back together!

dscn0246s.jpg

dscn0247s.jpg

I'm really impressed with how it turned out, I wasn't expecting it to look this good after all the abuse it went through. Only some light scuff marks remain on the top of the case but those are going to be covered by the monitor anyway. The only thing preventing it from being perfect is that one of the plastic feet is missing and they're taller than the usual ones, so I'll have to cannibalize a whole set from another case in order to fix it. For a case that's designed to take a CRT monitor on top, those things are important.

The case's good, now it's time to plan the build. No turbo button and speed display rules out 486 and earlier for me (besides I've already done such builds). I've been itching for a nice P1 build for quite some time (since a friend came over, he tried to play Blood on my 5x86 rig and it ran a bit slow). I was going to use yet another generic AT tower case but now I think this case should be the one for it. Its overall footprint is smaller than a similar tower case which is good news for my small spare desk, and besides it looks very period accurate (maybe because it is period accurate! 😁).

I have lots of Socket 7 hardware lying around which I need to go through in order to find the best overall components, no doubt I'll be asking you guys for opinions and advice on component choices. 😉

I'm eager to get a nice P1 system running on this case. Being used to tower cases on my home computers, there's something charming about desktop cases for me, probably because I saw them at school so I associate them with my childhood. Now that I think of it, they weren't really intended for school children, I remember having to look up at the screen since it ended so high up on top of the case and putting up with neck pains because of it. Maybe now that I've grown up they'll become usable. 😜

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1 of 30, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice cleaning job on the case! You're really giving it some love. 😁

The P200MMX is definitely a keeper if it stil works, but the VXPro mobo (not a real 430VX) is kind of meh unfortunately.. not recommended. Better to go with e.g. an Intel 430HX if you have/can find an AT version, or 430VX or even 430FX.

Reply 3 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a (range of) kitchen/bathroom cleaner product. Used to be called 'Jif' in the UK, until we had the euro brand name forced on us 😀

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice pictures and post!

Please keep us updated if any of the components also work. The MB seems to have taken a beating.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice case but that board not very exciting. I got way to much socket 7 hardware >.< Got stacks of AT/BabyAT and ATX socket 7 boards. Interesting sound card though and that Maxtor drive stands out.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a nice find! kudos on the cleaning job! now the fun part begins: building the system!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 30, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this motherboard looks exactly like one I have (with a 166MMX), there is no clear indication of brand, but I think it's form PC CHips/ECS...

anyway, mine have the Intel 430VX, not "VX pro"!?

but Mitac? I think I have one socket 7 MB from this company, with the VIA MVP4 chipset

Reply 8 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like how you managed to make the case look like new 😁
And you can usually tell how much 72p simm memory you have by counting the number of chips (usually 8/9 or 16/18) and counting the number of legs each memory chip has (though I've forgotten exactly how much).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 30, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updates:

Motherboard: Gave it a good cleaning (washing with soap and water) and it works. Before and After pictures. 😀
I know the "VX Pro" boards are pretty mediocre (killed one many years ago) so indeed this will not go into my build, hoping to find something better among my Socket 7 stash.

CPU: Works.

RAM: Works, passes Memtest86 without errors. 80MB in total, a mix of 2x32MB FPM and 2x8MB EDO. Most likely it was built with the 16MB and the extra 64MB came later as an upgrade.

Hard drive: Works. The BIOS is limited to 8.4 GB so I was expecting to find overlay software installed. Instead I found an 8 GB partition and the rest of the drive sitting unused. 🤣
There's a Windows 98SE install without any MS-DOS boot files. My assumption is that it was either booted off a separate drive or that was someone's idea of a 'hard disk wipe'. Strangely, the installed drivers don't seem to correspond with the current PCI cards. Judging by file dates, it seems that this PC was used until 2007.

CD-ROM drive: Works, gave it a good cleaning. Might need a new tray drive belt. Came with a nice surprise inside:
dscn0255s.jpg

Floppy drive: Doesn't work. Fortunately I have a working replacement on hand.

PCI cards: Cirrus Logic video works. Haven't tested the rest but they should be working too.

Power Supply: Works. It's only 150W but I noticed its good build quality so I took the time to clean it thoroughly and put it back on the case. Compared to the 250W AT power supplies that I have this one has some weight to it, thicker gauge wiring, line filtering components are present instead of jumpered, even the fan is in good working order. This one is clearly of higher quality so I'm sticking with it for this build.

I've replaced the yellow hard disk activity LED with a red one. I still need to find a set of plastic feet for this case.

Choosing a motherboard

Today I had a look at my Baby AT Socket 7 motherboard stash in order to find a better board to base this build on. I have accumulated many Socket 7 stuff over the years so there's gotta be something better. Unfortunately most of them are the same dreaded "VX Pro" stuff I pulled out of this case.

The only candidates I've managed to find yet are the following:

Abit PR5 R2
aZUwKl.jpg

PCChips M530
ljDsTl.jpg

PCChips M571
ZAp8jl.jpg

I've also found a 233MHz MMX Pentium which I intend to use instead of the 200MHz one.

My list of pros/cons regarding each board:

Abit PR5 R2: stason link
+ i430VX chipset
+ I have the PS/2 header for it.
+ Not PCChips
- CPU frequency tops at 200 MHz

PCChips M530: motherboards.net link
+ i430VX chipset
+ SDRAM slots
- Seems there's no onboard L2 cache and I don't have the COAST module for it
- CPU frequency tops at 200 MHz
- PCChips

PCChips M571: stason link
+ 512KB L2 cache
+ Runs CPU at 233MHz and beyond
- One of the SDRAM slots is broken
- PCChips

Seems like it's a tight choice between the PR5 and the M571. Apparently the M571 is quite decent for a PCChips board. According to that red hill website I have one of the 'bad batches', though. Useless onboard video & sound can be disabled and the broken SDRAM slot isn't a big deal anyway. There's a whole website dedicated to the M571.

What do you guys think? 😉

Reply 10 of 30, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd use the PCChips M571 myself, though if I were you I'd possibly look into replacing the second sdram slot somehow.

That being said, I doubt systems of the time supported dual-channel memory, so it would probably be fine just to stick a 64-128MB module into the remaining slot and be done with it. 🤣

Reply 13 of 30, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

200Mhz is not always a real limit. My 430HX board tops out at 166Mhz, according to the manual. It's stable at 262 Mhz and some people even managed to run 300 Mhz (83 Mhz bus). I'd try Abit.

btw, Do you see a pair of PB cache chips on M571? They're there on stason, but I don't see them on the picture. Can it be that the mobo is also cacheless?

Reply 14 of 30, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That's one amazing cleanup job there! I've seen dirty, dusty computers before, but this one takes it to a whole new level 😮 . I would also go with the Abit mobo.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 16 of 30, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
133MHz wrote:
Updates: […]
Show full quote

Updates:

Abit PR5 R2
aZUwKl.jpg

What do you guys think? 😉

Noooo, don't use that one, send it to ME! 😁

Hehe, I'm just frustrated that socket 7 boards are getting so hard to find now. Locally, I mean. Motherboards cost too much for shipping overseas.

Reply 18 of 30, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tested the three motherboards and here are the results:

Unfortunately the Abit board doesn't support P55C CPUs. According to the manual there's no 3.5X multiplier setting and the only CPU voltages are 3.38V and 3.52V, I think this means no P233 MMX 😢. By the way the manual was quite hard to find, the only copy I could come across was in this ancient Win16 self contained document viewer that made me pull out one of my old laptops just so I could run it, so I have converted it to PDF and uploaded it here to make it easier to find. On the bright side this particular board has 512KB of L2 cache instead of the 256KB that stason says.

The Abit PR5 R2 refused to boot with my CF to IDE adapter so I couldn't run any tests on it.

I tested the apparently cache-less M530 just for the hell of it. Just look at the system summary:
1Tojcl.jpg

I love that vague and sleazy Cache Memory: W/B Cache On and L2 Cache Type: Write Back. Go PCChips! 🤣

Of course there's no L2 cache at all without the COAST module, but they can't resist the urge to lie on the system summary:

CxXhll.jpg

The M530 would sort of work with the CF to IDE adapter, it'd boot bare DOS but not anything else.

The M571 does have 512KB of L2 cache in a single 64kx64 SRAM chip:
c9Iqpl.jpg

It seems that I'll have to stick with the M571. I'll try to adapt the PS/2 mouse header from the Abit board (not pin compatible).

At the moment the hardware lineup is looking like this:

• PCChips M571
  • Pentium MMX 233MHz (66x3.5)
  • 32MB EDO RAM (4x8MB)
  • Seagate 4.3GB hard drive
  • S3 Trio64v+ PCI video card
  • SB AWE64 ISA sound card

I might even get a PCI USB2.0 port card for easier file transfer with newer systems, thanks to the unofficial Win9x USB mass storage driver. 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    PR5R2E.pdf
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Downloads
    180 downloads
    File comment
    Abit PR5 R2 User's Manual
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

USB2 was slow on my p1/200mmx machine... you are way better putting a NIC on that pci slot and use windows networking or the MTCP DOS package that offers a ftp server...
speed with usb2 on my machine was 100~150kb/sec under DOS (did not bother with 98SE) and 1+mb/sec with the NIC...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website