VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When launching Johnny Bazookatone, the game screen simply goes black. Checking the debug log, I have the following four lines repeating themselves after I launch the game:

6617094: MISC:MSCDEX: INT 2F 1510 BX= 0000 CX=0003
6617094: MISC:MSCDEX: Driver Function 03
6617094: MISC:MSCDEX: IOCTL INPUT Subfunction 06
6617094: MISC:MSCDEX: Status : 0100

So I thought that maybe the games format (clonecd) wasn't reading right within dosbox. So I re-imaged it to a bin/cue format, but had the exact same issue.

The cue file looks clean though:

FILE "JohnnyB.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 15:56:59
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 18:18:24
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 21:07:00
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 22:53:63
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 26:02:19
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 27:39:14
TRACK 08 AUDIO
INDEX 01 30:16:08
TRACK 09 AUDIO
INDEX 01 33:09:69
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:49:41
TRACK 11 AUDIO
INDEX 01 38:24:67
TRACK 12 AUDIO
INDEX 01 41:24:08
TRACK 13 AUDIO
INDEX 01 45:35:02
TRACK 14 AUDIO
INDEX 01 47:19:31
TRACK 15 AUDIO
INDEX 01 49:10:66
TRACK 16 AUDIO
INDEX 01 50:25:36
TRACK 17 AUDIO
INDEX 01 53:47:64

So at this point I am a bit confused, as I have found threads on other sites where people claim the game ran just fine for them... so either my copy is messed up, or I've messed up somewhere.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the risk of being redundant, how did you mount the image?

Does it work if you mount it with Daemon Tools and then mount the virtual CD-ROM in DOSBox with -ioctl and so on? (Is that actually supposed to work any differently from imgmount?)

Reply 2 of 10, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mounted directly with imgmount:
imgmount d .\games\JohnnyBa\cd\JohnnyB.cue -t cdrom

Also tried the clonecd version by using:
imgmount d .\games\JohnnyBa\cd\JohnnyB.img -t cdrom

Same issue with both of them. I have not tried mounting it using a separate virtual drive first as I much prefer to have games mounted directly in dosbox.

Reply 3 of 10, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I tried it just to see what would happen.

Interestingly, it does the exact same thing, and after about 10 second of scrolling that error code above, the virtual cd actually unmounts. I tried it with both daemon and magiciso and in both cases the drive unmounted itself after the debug starting scrolling the error message.

Reply 5 of 10, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Possibly, but if so then it is an mscdex emulation issue with dosbox, as the image is exact.

But I doubt that is the issue, as the debug log is just scrolling the same line repeatedly. There is no hint that it is deciding to stop and eject the disc.

Reply 6 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game wants to see a busy status reported for the cdrom drive, and it's prepared to wait forever for that to happen. While it's waiting, it periodically issues an init command, but I don't know if that should cause the busy status. Something that may or may not be relevant is that the game is intended to run off the cdrom without installation, so file access and playing audio tend to conflict under those conditions. As it is now, DOSBox will only report the busy status when the drive is playing audio. The "wait for busy" loop is bypassed when the device status parameters indicate raw reading is not supported and prefetch requests are supported, but I'm not confident that exploiting the exception would be a good workaround.

A simple workaround for the time being is to start an audio track playing before running the game. The freeware TRKPLAY utility works nicely for displaying a track listing and playing tracks from the command line.

Reply 7 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it might be that expects that reading a file from the CD drive, would cause the drive to be busy ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 10, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very clever work around ripsaw. I used track 8 as it has a quiet intro, and when set back to back w/ the launch, no actual audio is heard before the game kicks in. Thanks so much for figuring this out.

Reply 10 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you dredging up a two and a half year old post? Necroposting is frowned upon here.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers